Shell posts biggest profit in UK corporate history

  • Regan Power
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
      Economic topics don't usually feature on our lists but I thought this item nicely illustrates how our planetary economy has become disclocated from cosmic reality. The news article at

      < http://uk.news.yahoo.com/02022006/325/shell-posts-biggest-profit-uk-corporate-history.html >

      reports how the oil-giant Shell "posted a 3 percent rise in fourth-quarter current cost of supply (CCS) net profit to $5.395 billion (3 billion pounds)," (an increase of 13% on the previous year), while production dropped from 3.84 million to 3.5 million barrels of oil per day.

      Is this situation not crazy? They cut production and increased their profits! And they still cut themselves short even then. At this rate, they will just have to stop production altogether to turn in a profit of $11.78bn (�6.55bn)!

      The mind boggles.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
        Ah but that is our money... I wonder what would happen if everyone went on
        strike for a week and bought no gas...Stayed home if they had to...I bet
        prices would fly back down quickly...

        <
        http://uk.news.yahoo.com/02022006/325/shell-posts-biggest-profit-uk-corporat
        e-history.html >

        reports how the oil-giant Shell "posted a 3 percent rise in fourth-quarter
        current cost of supply (CCS) net profit to $5.395 billion (3 billion
        pounds)," (an increase of 13% on the previous year), while production
        dropped from 3.84 million to 3.5 million barrels of oil per day.

        Is this situation not crazy? They cut production and increased
        their profits! And they still cut themselves short even then. At this
        rate, they will just have to stop production altogether to turn in a profit
        of $11.78bn (�6.55bn)!

        The mind boggles.

        Service.

      • William Hamilton
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
          Hmmm,

          In the U.S. it is Exxon-Mobil that is getting attention. I helped both
          Exxon and Shell make
          these profits by purchasing their gasoline at the pump. They are swimming
          in such much
          money you would think they would now lower prices, but, as you probably
          know,
          they are rising again. Guess they don't feel wealthy enuf.

          Bill

          By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer
          January 30, 2006: 2:41 PM EST

          NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Exxon Mobil Corp. set U.S. records for annual and
          quarterly profits Monday as it easily topped fourth-quarter earnings
          forecasts.

          The nation's largest oil company reported net income in the fourth quarter
          of $10.7 billion, or $1.71 a share, compared to $8.4 billion, or $1.30 a
          share, a year earlier.

          Special Report full coverage

          Oil plunges over $2

          Religious group pushes Citgo gas boycott

          Specter: Congress to act on rising fuel prices

          OPEC says it will keep oil flowing

          Excluding items, Exxon Mobil (Research) earned $10.3 billion, or $1.65 per
          share, topping a consensus forecast of $1.44 a share from analysts surveyed
          by earnings tracker First Call. It also topped the record for quarterly
          profits it set in the third quarter, when it earned $9.9 billion.

          Shares of Exxon Mobil gained 2 percent in early-afternoon trading, helping
          to take the Dow into positive territory.

          For the year the company earned net income of $36.1 billion, or $33.9
          billion excluding special items. That's up 31 percent from the $25.9 billion
          it earned on that basis year earlier.

          Exxon Mobil's 2005 net income for the year comes to $1,146 a second. That
          per-second profit is enough to pay for gas for the average American vehicle
          to be driven 10,294 miles, at current gasoline prices.

          While oil and gasoline prices in the fourth quarter were down from the
          levels seen in September, that barely dented Exxon Mobil's top line. Revenue
          for the quarter was $99.7 billion, up from $81.9 billion in the year-earlier
          quarter, and down only 1 percent from the $100.7 billion in revenue in the
          third quarter. Full-year revenue came to $371 billion, or just over $1
          billion a day.

          The Exxon Mobil earnings statement was almost defensive about the record
          profit.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            Yeah and they will as long as we all keep rolling over... You know in
            payroll there is a saying... When someone constantly forgets their timecard,
            you only have to not pay them once and they start remembering... It's
            amazing...