RE: [ufodiscussion] RE: [Astrosciences] The Nature Of God

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2005
      No they were written at oldest 4000 years ago...Jahnets

      Do you think the vedas were written before the Atlanteans??? I only just
      read the Emerald Tablets and yet I know the being he speaks of and the place
      he speaks of and have known about it for about 10 years now. I only say this
      because see for me I know what he is saying is right as I've learned it
      elsewhere from those even higher, and by all accounts they are 36000 years
      old at the youngest. So how old are the Vedas and who wrote them? I have
      tried to sit down and read the Baghavad Gita a few different times... As I
      said Bill you can't spell... Jahnets

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2005
        Janet,

        In case it's of any help, the Vedas are believed by scholars to have
        been written down about 5,000 years ago, but to have existed as oral
        teachings for an indefinite period of time before that. The Vedas are the
        oldest known written Hindu scriptures. The numbers of books that have been
        written about the Vedas and their underlying philosophy (called "Vedanta")
        would fill many large libraries.

        Regan
        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2005
          The Vedas
          There are four Vedas, the Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Yajur Veda and Atharva Veda.
          The Vedas are the primary texts of Hinduism. They also had a vast influence
          on Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. The Rig Veda, the oldest of the four
          Vedas, was composed about 1500 B.C., and codified about 600 B.C. It is
          unknown when it was finally comitted to writing, but this probably was at
          some point after 300 B.C.
          The Vedas contain hymns, incantations, and rituals from ancient India. Along
          with the Book of the Dead, the Enuma Elish, the I Ching, and the Avesta,
          they are among the most ancient religious texts still in existence. Besides
          their spiritual value, they also give a unique view of everyday life in
          India four thousand years ago. The Vedas are also the most ancient extensive
          texts in an Indo-European language, and as such are invaluable in the study
          of comparative linguistics.

          http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/index.htm

          According to above it was composed 3500 years ago, but told about life 4000
          years ago. I only began reading the Rig Veda so far and only up to the 24th
          hymn. Hopefully the others will be better. They have them all at this site
          fully translated. It's really a good site, has just about everything you
          might want to read.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2005
            I don't know where these authors have got their chronology for the
            composition and writing down of the Vedas, Janet, but it's way off beam from
            what I've been taught by Vedic scholars themselves. However, those are all
            now deceased and I don't have the time to argue this academic question
            anyway, so I'll have to leave it there unsettled, I'm afraid.

            Have a Happy New Year.

            Regan
            _____