Chicken Little: Selling A Pandemic

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2005

      All is Well.

      http://www.pej.org/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3608&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

      Chicken Little: Selling a Pandemic

      JazzmanChronicles - Jack Random - Forget the war. Forget global climate change and a relentless chain of hurricanes, earthquakes and Asian tsunamis. Forget AIDS, poverty and human trafficking. Forget corruption in government and the lies of officials used to justify war. Forget famine in Africa, seed monopolies, drought, disappearing lakes, tropical forest and ozone depletion. Forget the onset of winter in the Himalayas. Forget Katrina, Rita, Wilma and Alpha. Forget New Orleans, Baghdad, Ramadi and Fallujah. Forget Afghanistan and Iraq, Haiti and Palestine, terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.

      It is all about the bird flu: Be very afraid.

      http://jazzmanchronicles.blogspot.com

      PROPHECIES OF DOOM:
      THE BIRD FLU SCARE
      By Jack Random

      JAZZMAN CHRONICLES: DISSEMINATE FREELY
      November 1, 2005

      Inevitable catastrophes are a dime a dozen and this one is no different from a half dozen others. The earth will be hit by a gigantic asteroid. Shall we build deep shelters? The Pacific Rim is hotter than a handful of burning firecrackers. Shall we move to Antarctica? Nuclear warfare is inevitable as long as nuclear weapons exist. Shall we establish a colony on the moon?

      Some say the melting polar caps and glaciers foreshadow the next great flood while others are convinced we are approaching a new ice age. Some are petrified that unprecedented solar flares will destroy the planet’s energy grid, frying electronics and propelling us back to the dark ages.

      Shall we move to the mountains and hunker down?

      Many within the scientific community are warning of imminent and global drought, massive crop failure, famine and water wars.

      Shall we invest billions in desalination technology?

      Some are convinced that science itself will trigger the demise of humanity with tainted vaccines and medicines that render us barren and impotent, with test tube reproductions that weaken the DNA code.

      Some believe that, regardless of our actions, the day of reckoning is nigh and praise be glory to god almighty.

      Shall we party or pray?

      None of these scenarios of doomsday is certain in our lifetimes yet the certainty of catastrophe from these or unforeseen possibilities is absolute. It is a question of probability and our response is a function of cost versus benefit. How one weighs that ratio depends largely on one’s point of view.

      The president’s fundamentalist supporters and their equivalents in the world’s other notable religions might wonder why we should spend billions undoing the divine destiny of god’s will.

      Sad but true.

      For the president, it is a function of timing and politics. It is the need to change the subject and erase the names of Scooter Libby, Joseph Wilson and Judith Miller.

      Sad but true.

      The rest of us must wonder why this prophecy of doom has befallen us now. The more cynical among us will begin to construct scenarios of conspiracy by government or elite forces to conquer the world with fear. Who in the White House leaked the bird flu scare to CNN whose 24-7 coverage was so rudely interrupted by the monstrous quake in Kashmir?

      I admit it worries me that the president so stubbornly clings to his all-too-frequent warnings of martial law. It worries me when the White House adopts a potential catastrophe.

      Ultimately, the question is: Why should we invest in a prospective disaster when the planet is already beset in disasters?

      Have we done all we can for the people of Kashmir as a brutal, killing freeze of winter bears down on the Himalayas and the victims of the quake?

      Have we done all we can to secure nuclear weapons and nuclear materials in the White House proclaimed age of terror?

      Still in the hurricane season, have we done all we can to provide for safe and efficient mass evacuation for the residents of the Gulf, the Atlantic and the Pacific coast?

      There are disasters that we know will occur repeatedly and with increasing frequency and severity, yet we remain blissfully ill prepared.

      There are certain disasters that require certain, concrete and massive solutions yet we are instructed to turn the page.

      Why should we commit billions to vaccines that may well be impotent when uncounted millions of children have no medical care whatsoever?

      Of course, the bird flu is a legitimate world threat but it is not the preeminent issue of the day. It is not, in my humble view, deserving of our president’s dedication at a time of war. Let the world take the lead in this world crisis and let us support the world’s efforts as appropriate.

      It is not appropriate to horde the world’s supply of flu medication.

      Neither the world nor the nation needs another dose of fear – and I am skeptically certain that is what the sudden prominence of bird flu influenza is all about.

      Jazz.

      JACK RANDOM IS THE AUTHOR OF THE JAZZMAN CHRONICLES (CROW DOG PRESS) AND GHOST DANCE INSURRECTION (DRY BONES PRESS). THE CHRONICLES HAVE APPEARED ON DISSIDENT VOICE, THE ALBION MONITOR, BUZZLE, COUNTERPUNCH AND PEACE-EARTH-JUSTICE. SEE RANDOM JACK: www.jazzmanchronicles.blogspot.com.