Anomalies Confirmed In Penn. & Az Randomly Downed Crops

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2005

      Click the link if you don't receive the images.

      http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news.cfm?ID=952&category=Environment

      Part 1: Anomalies Confirmed in Pennsylvania and Arizona
      Randomly Downed Crops

      © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe

      Unusual randomly downed oat crop was reported July 3, 1005, in Greene County, Pennsylvania,
      west of Uniontown in the far southwestern corner of the state.

      Oats randomly downed in long, linear sections that included complex internal patterns of "checkerboards,"
      multiple layers laid down in 90 degree angles to each other, and oat stems twisted so strongly at the soil level
      that beige discoloration was scattered throughout. Fire truck ladder photograph © by Greene County resident.

      August 1, 2005 Williamsburg, Ohio - On July 3, 2005, a Greene County, Pennsylvania resident and her husband (who have asked for name and town anonymity) saw oat plants in a field which seemed to be laid down in unusually straight 90 degree angles and sections. The couple contacted the local fire department which sent out a hook and ladder truck to see what the field looked like from 75 feet up. From that altitude, the woman took several photographs and sent one to the Coast to Coast AM radio website asking for more information. Eventually two weeks later, a viewer forwarded the photo and sender's e-mail to Jeffrey Wilson, Director, of the Independent Crop Circle Researchers' Association (ICCRA). Jeff contacted the couple by e-mail and she arranged to get permission from the farm owner and to meet Jeff and his ICCRA colleague Charles Lietzau, Ph.D., at the oat field for investigation on July 22, 2005.
      ---------------------------------

      Interview:

      Jeffrey Wilson, Director, Independent Crop Circle Researchers' Association (ICCRA), Williamsburg, Ohio: "Two of her original photographs from the top of the fire truck ladder show discolored areas ­ the beige color, which are where the swirling of the oat plants was in the highest concentration and most dramatic. In other places, the plants were flattened in a pretty linear direction, although they are also downed in 90-degree perpendicular sections as well. But in the discolored areas, that's where the greatest swirling, twisting took place.
      THAT'S UNUSUAL, ISN'T IT?

      Yes, I think it is. I sent you a high resolution photo on that and you can see close-up on the twisted plants.

      Beige-colored places in the oats where the plants were most tightly twisted to the ground.
      Fire truck ladder photograph © by Greene County resident.

      WHEN I SAW THE TWO PHOTOS FROM THE HOOK AND LADDER, I THOUGHT OF THE RANDOMLY DOWNED WHEAT IN THE TOLLESON SUBURB OF PHOENIX. (See Part 2 of this Earthfiles report
      and 052605 Earthfiles.)

      Close-up Brooks Farms' barley May 25, 2005, in the Tolleson suburb southwest of Phoenix, Arizona.
      Aerial photograph © 2005 by KTVK, Channel 3 News.

      Yes, in Tolleson there was the similar effect where the plants were almost entirely flattened in between the tramlines. We had some speculation about why that might have occurred out in Tolleson, Arizona, because the farmer had these mounds of dirt that ran the length of the tramlines and was repeatedly flooding the field in between the tramlines. That might have had some effect on those barley plants.

      But in this case in Greene County, Pennsylvania, that is not what has happened. There are no mounds of dirt and they aren't flooding the field. I asked the farmer if he had done any kind of spraying or fertilizing of the field and they had not since planting. So there isn't any sort of over-fertilizing that knocked the plants down. But it's really unusual that the flattening would be generally contained within the tramlines.

      In both the Tolleson, Arizona, wheat fields and the Greene County, Pennsylvania, oat field, we confirmed there had been elongation of the growth nodes which we do not find in control plants collected away from the downed crop. (See Part 2 of this report for photographs of elongated growth nodes in Arizona investigation.)

      "Pulsed Edge" in Greene County Oats

      Evenly spaced standing plants separated by downed oats in Greene County,
      Pennsylvania, oat field, first reported and photographed on July 3, 2005.
      Image © 2005 by Jeffrey Wilson, ICCRA.

      IN ONE OF THE LADDER SHOTS, IT SHOWS WHAT I CALL A 'PULSED EDGE' OF EVENLY SPACED STANDING PLANTS GOING ALONG SOME OF THE LONG STRETCHES OF DOWNED PLANTS. IT IS SOMETHING WE'VE FOUND IN ENGLISH CROP FORMATIONS. IT'S NOT WHAT I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED IN RANDOMLY DOWNED CROP. EVEN THOUGH PULSED EDGES WERE IN AN UNUSUAL RANDOMLY DOWNED WHEAT FIELD IN LINFIELD, PENNSYLVANIA, BACK IN MAY 1992.

      Wheat field found flattened with scalloped edges for 600 feet in Linfield, Pennsylvania,
      reported on May 24, 1992. Photograph © 1992 by Bruce Rideout.

      Right. We didn't expect to see the checkerboard in randomly downed either.

      "Checkerboard" Pattern in Greene County Oats

      Oat plants laid down in a 90 degree angled "checkerboard" pattern extending for 80 feet
      in the randomly downed Greene County, Pennsylvania, field. Image © 2005 by Jeffrey Wilson, ICCRA.

      This one section of the photo went on square-by-square for about 80 feet. It continued on and on. That's what made it really unusual to walk through section by section.

      HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A CHECKERBOARD IN ANY OTHER PREVIOUS AMERICAN CROP FORMATION BEFORE?

      I can't say to this effect, no. Not to this size either. It is something we have not come across before.

      "Hairline Part" In Greene County Oats

      "Hairline part" in downed oat plants, Greene County, Pennsylvania,
      first reported on July 3, 2005. Image © 2005 by Jeffrey Wilson, ICCRA.

      ANOTHER PHOTO IS INTERESTING BECAUSE THE PLANTS ARE LAID DOWN LIKE PARTED HAIR AS WE'VE SEEN IN A VARIETY OF FORMATIONS OVER THE YEARS.

      Yes, and in this field in Greene County, Pennsylvania, there were several places in which this effect was laid down in the crop.

      Four Layers of Oats Going in Four Different Directions

      THERE IS A PHOTOGRAPH IN WHICH ONE OF YOU IS RAISING THE UPPER SURFACE SO YOU CAN SEE THE UNDERNEATH LAYERS. HOW MANY LAYERS DID YOU FIND CRISS-CROSSING EACH OTHER?

      Charles Lietzau, Ph.D., lifting up two layers to show to additional layers underneath
      laid down in different directions. Image © 2005 by Jeffrey Wilson, ICCRA.

      That's Dr. Charles Lietzau and he is lifting up two layers there and there are two additional layers underneath, all going in a different direction. He's got his hand pointing ­ the plant layer he has in his right hand is pointing toward the camera. The one he's got in his left hand is pointing toward the left side of the photo. And the layer directing beneath his hand is 180 degrees from that. And the layer underneath that is pointing away from the camera going into the picture. There are four layers there just in that small section and around him, the plants were flattened in 180 degrees side-by-side.

      This again is in a completely different part of the field. So, we saw a really large range of intricate lay patterns in the Greene County, Pennsylvania, randomly downed oat field.

      Could Wind and Rain Produce the Greene County Oats Anomalies?

      THIS GREENE COUNTY IN PA THAT OTHERS MIGHT CALL 'RANDOMLY DOWNED,' IT APPEARS TO HAVE EXTREMELY COMPLEX LAYS IN SECTIONS OF WHAT SOME WOULD SAY WAS RANDOMLY DOWNED, BUT THESE COMPLEX 90 DEGREE OVERLAYS UNDERNEATH AND THE CHECKER PATTERNS AND THE SPLIT HAIR WOULD CONTRADICT THAT THIS WAS JUST WIND AND WATER?

      Chuck Lietzau and I, we measured the growth nodes of the plants in Greene County, PA. We took samples across the field and it was to find a control area. There is one area all the way to the far right of the overall photographs that is fairly untouched and we used that as our control area. We measured the flattened plants in that area and we found the nodes in the flattened areas are elongated, which we have not found in either wind damaged or storm damaged fields, or in man-made hoaxed formations. We've repeatedly tested manmade formations and that node elongation does not occur. We've also tested random wind damaged, weather-damaged fields and node elongation does not occur there either.

      So, in this case in Greene County, Pennsylvania, that physical evidence alone tells us this was not just random wind damage. Beyond that, then we're seeing all these intricate lay patterns that you would normally associate with geometric crop formations. But the overall pattern in Pennsylvania does not seem to be geometric, but contains within what would be considered randomly downed are the 180 degree and 90 degree turns on a dime with the way the plants are flattened. It's certainly worth studying and seems to be part of a larger overall spectrum of possibilities within looking at crop formations. On one extreme, you have randomly downed events like Greene County and Tolleson, Arizona. Then on the other extreme, we have regular geometric patterns. In between, we have arrangements of circles and single circles by themselves. But I think we have to include randomly downed patterns like Greene County and Tolleson as part of the same effect.

      Underground River Flows Beneath
      Greene County, Pa. Oat Field

      Trees in back of oat field get water from a creek there. Below the oat field,
      the farmer discovered an underground river. Image © 2005 by Jeffrey Wilson, ICCRA.

      SURROUNDING THE OAT FIELD, ARE THERE ANY OTHER CROPS? I SEE TREES IN ONE OF THE PHOTOS, BUT I WONDERED IF THERE WERE ANY OTHER CROPS NEARBY?

      Not still standing. Farmers harvested the hay around there before. Across from the pat field are more hay fields. Adjacent to the oat field, the owner had a natural gas well drilled in the last three to four weeks. Interestingly enough, he said when they were drilling, they hit a really deep, thick layer of clay underneath this area of the field. Underneath the clay is an underground river that runs right beneath the formation. Then he hit a layer of rock. There is also a creek at the back of the field where the treeline is. So, this does fit right into that same pattern of being adjacent to water sources. There are also power lines that run on the opposite side of the road right in front of the field, too.

      WATER FLOWING UNDERNEATH, WHETHER IT'S LIMESTONE, CLAY OR WHATEVER, THE PRESENCE OF UNDERGROUND WATER SURE HAS BEEN LINKED TO A LOT OF CROP FORMATIONS.

      Why Randomly Downed and Not Geometric Patterns?

      DID THE FARMER OR ANY OF HIS NEIGHBORS SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING UNUSUAL ON OR ABOUT JULY 3RD?

      No, but the farmer did say that he did notice that the field was flattened after they had a weather front pass through the area. Not a lot of rain, but mostly lightning and gusty winds.

      BUT WHY WOULD THE OATS HAVE GONE DOWN IN ALL OF THESE COMPLEX PATTERNS? AND WHY WOULD IT LOOK SO SIMILAR TO THE FIELDS IN PHOENIX THAT ALREADY FROM YOUR TESTS AND LEVENGOOD'S TESTS INDICATE THAT GROWTH NODES WERE ELONGATED FROM SOME KIND OF ENERGY INTERACTING IN PHOENIX AND PROBABLY IN GREENE COUNTY, PA?

      Yes, that's a good question. The Arizona and Pennsylvania randomly downed crops certainly seem to be similar to each other in both their form and in the way they were laid down. Although in Tolleson, the randomly downed fields weren't associated with rainfall. But the farmer had the same high winds that he thinks were responsible there. Maybe that's part of the interaction in Pennsylvania. Winds could be providing energy for how some of the plants go down.

      WHETHER IT IS DONE BY AN ADVANCED INTELLIGENCE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF NATURAL AND ELECTROSTATIC AND OTHER ENERGIES SYSTEMS ON THE PLANET TO CREATE PATTERNS? OR IS IT ATMOSPHERIC PHENOMENA THAT HAS NOT BEEN DOCUMENTED BEFORE?

      It's up in the air at this point!

      THAT IS A PERSISTENT QUESTION: WHY ARE THE FORMATIONS IN ENGLAND SO BEAUTIFUL AND RECOGNIZABLE IN TERMS OF GEOMETRIES? AND IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, CROP FORMATIONS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ROUGHER. MAYBE THE GREENE COUNTY, PA. FIELD MIGHT HAVE STARTED OUT TO BE AN 8-FOLD GEOMETRY!

      Yeah, we've debated why you get geometry in some places and in others you get this randomly downed. It could be there is that turbulence or instability in the atmosphere that causes We've seen in many cases where you have an almost-geometry. You can see where the geometry should have been and just doesn't form quite correctly. We've seen many examples like that in the U. S.

      BIOPHYSICIST W. C. LEVENGOOD HAS FOUND IN HIS PHOENIX RANDOMLY DOWNED WHEAT INVESTIGATION THAT ENERGIES MUST HAVE INTERACTED THERE THAT ARE EXTREMELY UNUSUAL - NOT WHAT WOULD BE LINKED TO IRRIGATION AND WIND. ON TOP OF THAT, HE HAS FOUND MAGNETITE IN THE SOIL, AGAIN SOMETHING WE'VE FOUND OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN CROP CIRCLES, BUT IS NOT EVENLY DISTRIBUTED IN SOIL OUTSIDE OF CROP FORMATIONS. SO, IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF THE SOIL FROM THE GREENE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, RANDOMLY DOWNED OATS ALSO HAS MAGNETITE IN IT.

      It will be, yes. We did collect both plant and soil samples. It will take awhile to get them analyzed."

      Continued in Part 2 - Biophysicist W. C. Levengood's Tolleson, Arizona, report.

      ---------------------------------

      Websites:

      http://www.cropcircleconnector.com

      http://www.cropcirclenews.com

      http://www.lucypringle.co.uk

      http://www.cccrn.ca/

      http://www.dcca.nl

      http://www.kornkreise-forschung.de

      http://www.cropcircleresearch.com

      http://www.x-cosmos.it

      http://www.bertjanssen.nl

      http://www.swirlednews.com

      http://www.heramagazine.net

      http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk

      http://www.CropCircleAnswers.com

      http://www.ukcropcircles.co.uk/?page=home

      postamble();
      © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe
      All Rights Reserved.
      earthfiles@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2005
        Too bad we don't have a picture from above it, it would be interesting to
        see the actual pattern.