FW: A fourth of July message

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      Someone sent this to me on the fourth. Pretty interesting if true...I don't
      know...

      THE 4TH OF JULY

      Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the
      Declaration of Independence?

      Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured
      before they died.

      Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

      Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two
      sons captured.

      Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the
      Revolutionary War.

      They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their
      sacred honor.

      What kind of men we re they?

      Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine
      were farmers and large plantation owners;
      men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of
      Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they
      were captured.

      Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his
      ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and
      properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

      Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to
      move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay,
      and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him,
      and poverty was his reward.

      Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer,
      Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

      At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British
      General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He
      quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was
      destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

      Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy
      jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

      John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying.
      Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill
      were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and
      caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. Some
      of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

      So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and
      silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

      Remember: freedom is never free!