Basic Reality

    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2005

      http://nov55.com/bry.html

      Basic Reality

      The most basic realities create the foundation of any subject. Unless the foundation is correct, everything that follows will be a corruption. Yet the basics are usually skipped over, while the superficialities are argued. It's like starting a race five feet from the finish line. In the abstract world, people do things which would be criminal in the "real" world.

      The Definition of Reality

      One of the most basic realities is the definition of reality. All of the rest of philosophy depends upon it. Therefore, philosophy hasn't gotten to the starting point until reality is defined properly. Of course, it never is.

      The definition of reality has some highly demanding conditions to meet. It must include
      1. that which can be perceived,
      2. that which can be communicated and
      3. that which makes up thoughts.

      To make sense of this, we must understand surrounding concepts. Therefore, we first consider what existence is.

      What Existence is

      Existence must be made up of substance and configurations. One cannot exist without the other.

      To determine this, we first evaluate substance without configurations, such as all air and nothing else. It has to have particles, which are configurations, before it can exist.

      Then consider configurations without substance. For this, we imagine a painting and then remove the substance, which is paint. The configurations disappear with the substance.

      We then test reality to determine its relationship to substance and configurations. So we ask the question of whether reality is in the substance of existence.

      Two clay models will be compared. One will be a car, and one will be a tree. They have the same substance, but the realities are different. So the reality is not in the substance.

      We therefore compare the configurations. The car has the configuration of a car, which makes it a car; and the tree has the configuration of a tree, which makes it a tree.

      Therefore, reality is the configuration of any substance. But does this definition meet the demanding requirements of reality? Are configurations perceivable? Yes. Are configurations communicable? yes. Are there configurations in thoughts? Yes.

      We must look at thoughts to see what they are. Thoughts are acquired through perception and stored as memories. Then they are modified by imagination or whatever.

      Perception

      The key question then is, does perception create configurations of a substance. One must be aware of the configurations to use the realities. A box must represent the configurations of a box. But is being aware of configurations having configurations? There is no significant difference. The reality is in the configurations either way.

      The manner in which reality is acquired by perception is by the awareness substance of the spirit contacting configurations and making copies of them in a template manner. Can I prove that? There is no such thing as proof of anything; but the evidence is that everything must have configurations, and therefore, thoughts must acquire configurations by contact of external realities in a template manner.

      Types of Realities

      There are a lot of terms related to reality which need to be clarified, such as subjective, objective, abstract and basic, plus more to be encountered later.

      Objective reality originates outside a person's mind. Subjective reality originates inside a person's mind. Abstract reality is nonperceivable reality, usually due to the complexity of the relationships.

      Basic realities are those upon which other realities depend. Since other realities depend upon them, they function as laws which influence realities. They are more important because of their greater influence.

      This gets to significance, which is about the same as importance. Significance could be defined as the relationships to surrounding realities, the more basic ones being more important.

      One of the most critical parts of judgment is determining significance. Discoveries have more to do with getting significances corrected than perceiving something that hasn't been perceived before. Of course, straining out gnats and swallowing camels is the opposite of correct significance.

      Unified Reality

      We now get to the accumulation of all significant realities, which is unified reality. It's everything.

      When realities have relationships between them, they get connected into a unit. There can only be one unit of any size for interrelated realities, because there is not more than one alternative for most realities or relationships. For example, one and one can only equal two and nothing else.

      Therefore, there is only one truth. Everyone has a somewhat different version of what it might be, but the source is invariable.

      So what is truth? It is the communicated representation of unified reality.

      The characteristics of unified reality include the important fact that it is objective. This means it has origins outside of minds. Some philosophers can waste a lifetime arguing that point, but we have more important things to do. If a molecule exists outside of minds, then a large amount of unified reality exists outside of minds, because the elements are all interrelated.

      The material universe is a molecular representation of unified reality, which is of course why it is called a universe. It means one verse. So the characteristics of unified reality can be determined by studying the molecular universe.

      A very important point to consider is that only unified reality allows a high degree of ordered complexity to exist.

      Defining Life

      Let's compare two types of complexity: ordered complexity and disordered complexity. Life is ordered complexity; and death is disordered complexity.

      But I don't define life as ordered complexity; I define it as unified reality. Unified reality is the complete and total order of complex realities, while no order can exist without it. So why define life in terms of a small fragment of something which can never exist in itself.

      In the biological sciences, life is generally defined in terms of molecular forms apart from their environments; but since the environments are essential to it, the concept is too narrow for philosophical purposes.

      Understanding is unified reality in the mind. A person must have a representation of unified reality in the mind before he can relate significantly to unified reality outside the mind. Getting one's mind together is getting it unified. This subject relates to all elements of intelligence and the proper handling of reality.

      Rationality

      An area which requires much focus of attention is rationality. It is where human responsibilities lie.

      So let's define rationality. Reason is making relationships between realities. Logic is the strictest application of reason.

      When relationships are made between realities, the realities must be unified. Significant relationships cannot be made between false realities (those which conflict with unified reality).

      The process of making relationships between realities causes unified reality to increase and false realities to decrease. No other outcome can occur, because only unified reality has complex relationships within it. So reason unifies realities.

      This process is not limited to philosophy. Whenever realities interact, the same thing occurs. It is automatic, and no one can prevent it, when realities interact.

      The reason why it is automatic is because consistent relationships are strengthened, and inconsistent relationships are weakened, whenever realities interact. Strengthening the consistent relationships unifies the realities, atleast partially.

      So all interactions of realities do the same thing as rationality does—they increase truth or unified reality—but not necessarily as precisely as controlled rationality might.

      Therefore, rationality is a basic human responsibility, not something to be replaced by authority.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        First I don't think "correct" is the best word for the sentense below, maybe
        stable...
        Of which this article has bounced around so much to prove it's point I don't
        thJink it has...
        Dear Friends,

[...]

        J: I have to say here as to:"that which makes up thoughts", also decribes
        the Greater mind that all of us tap into at various points to arrive at our
        own thoughts. Since we all tap in at different points in the Universal Mind
        we necessarily might not have the same thoughts at any given time. Therefore
        reality will be different for whom ever is perceiving, communicating or
        thinking it, based on which thoughts in the universal mind you are tapping
        into... Gotta wake up Regan somehow...lol He can deal with the rest of this
        one...