Scientists: Life On Mars Likely

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      http://www.wired.com/news/space/0,2697,67315,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_5

      Scientists: Life on Mars Likely

      By Rowan Hooper

      02:00 AM May. 02, 2005 PT

      Not so long ago it was unthinkable for respectable scientists to talk about life on Mars. Such talk was best left to X-Files fans. But no longer.

      Evidence is building to suggest biological processes might be operating on the red planet, and life on Mars, many scientists believe, is now more a likelihood than merely a possibility.
      Tantalizing evidence is accumulating that suggests the red planet is alive, but incontrovertible proof is still lacking. And while the European Space Agency is keen to send a lander to find it, a history of failed life-finding missions at NASA makes Americans more cautious.

      "The life on Mars issue has recently undergone a paradigm shift," said Ian Wright, an astrobiologist at the Planetary and Space Sciences Research Institute at the Open University in Britain, "to the extent now that one can talk about the possibility of present life on Mars without risking scientific suicide."

      Much of the excitement is due to the work of Vittorio Formisano, head of research at Italy's Institute of Physics and Interplanetary Space.

      In February, Formisano presented data at the Mars Express Science Conference at Noordwijk in the Netherlands. If scientists had been quietly excited before seeing Formisano's data, they were frenetic afterward.

      Formisano showed evidence of the presence of formaldehyde in the atmosphere. Formaldehyde is a breakdown product of methane, which was already known to be present in the Martian atmosphere, so in itself its presence is not so surprising. But Formisano measured formaldehyde at 130 parts per billion.

      To astrobiologists it was an incredible claim. It means huge amounts of methane must be produced on Mars. (While methane lasts for hundreds of years in the atmosphere, formaldehyde lasts for only 7.5 hours.) "It requires that 2.5 million tons of methane are produced a year," said Formisano.

      "There are three possible scenarios to explain the quantities: chemistry at the surface, caused by solar radiation; chemistry deep in the planet, caused by geothermal or hydrothermal activity; or life," he added.

      And, with no known geological source of formaldehyde on Mars, it's clear where Formisano's suspicions lie.

      "I believe there is extremely high probability that microbial subsurface life exists on Mars," he said, while acknowledging that although he believes in Martian life, he can't yet prove it.

      "What will certainly be needed in the future is a drill on a lander and direct evidence of the existence of Archaea bacteria," Formisano said, adding that he intends to publish his data in a forthcoming issue of planetary science journal Icarus.

      The European Space Agency certainly wants to send a rover to Mars, and was urged to do so at an international space workshop at Aston University in Birmingham, England, earlier this month. To get a lander on Mars will almost certainly require the involvement, at some level, of NASA.

      But NASA has its own surface mission planned. Scheduled to arrive in late 2010, the Mars Science Laboratory rover will use an array of instruments to look for evidence of life.

      "Europe and the U.S. are in a friendly competition to find life first," said Yuk Yung, professor of planetary science at the California Institute of Technology, "which is healthy for science -- and funding."

      The race to find proof of life started in earnest in 1996, after NASA scientists published a paper claiming that the Martian meteorite ALH84001 contained evidence of past biological activity. While that claim remains controversial, it kick-started a change in mood about the possibility of present life on Mars. Excitement grew in 2003 when Michael Mumma, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, reported he had detected methane in the Martian atmosphere.

      Then last year Vladimir Krasnopolsky, of the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., made a similar claim about methane. Both researchers had measured methane using ground-based telescopes.

      But while the issue of life on Mars may have undergone a paradigm shift, it is really only in Europe that scientists are openly excited. In the United States, NASA is cagey.

      According to Wright at the Open University, NASA is gun-shy about sending up another life-finding Martian probe.

      "NASA staff probably still remember Viking, which was a mission designed specifically to look for life on Mars, but which found none -- and which subsequently killed off Martian exploration for a couple of decades," he said. "ESA people don't have such baggage."

    • Jerry Lehane III
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2005
        Nasa has known since Viking that life does in fact exist on Mars.But I have
        been told a story from a former Nasa employee insider that life was known to
        exist on Mars in the 60's because Mariner took pics of beyond the
        sunlight/dark/nightline and saw lights on the surface on the night
        side,which means civilization.President Johnson buried the story and claimed
        the opposite,that he was glad to report that there were no Martians,like in
        the much feared War of the Worlds drama of the panic of 1938.Nasa has been
        funded by the US gov't so is controlled by the US gov't and will never go
        counter to gov't orders as far as releasing info,scientific or otherwise
        that isn't allowed by gov't.If you are a Nasa scientist and you want to keep
        your job,you button your lips about Mars Life.If the Military side of Nasa
        dictates this policy then they have their agenda which passes for National
        Security.Understanding W H Y Nasa is not releasing the whole story about
        Life on Mars will be an illustration for the world of how Big Government is
        counterproductive and counter to the public interest.Most likely Europeans
        will break the story of Life on Mars.I'm just letting you know,years in
        advance that since I designed the original art and concept for Mars Orbiters
        and Rovers (1987) I have had 18 to wait for results.That's my
        motivation,because it's my BABY.The animals and even people like us on Mars
        are waiting for hundreds of thousands of years to be discovered,and in my
        lifetime it happens.I was a part of their discovery.I see their eyes in pics
        I must first U N M A S K .When Governments drag their feet about releasing
        all the info,just remember the dis-service,lies-of-ommission,deliberate
        desception,misleading data...it reminds me of the Spanish
        Inquisition,Gallileo on trial,Copernicus,DaVinci,the Wright
        Brothers,Benjamin Franklin,Darwin,Columbus,Werner Von Braun. Jerry Lehane
        III j.lehane@...