1997 sighting

  • Bill Hamilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2004

      I had a very peculiar sighting in 1997.  I was reminded of this from something Keith posted.

      On the night of May 5

      th, 1997 after watching part 2 of a television movie called Invasion, my wife and I went outdoors to sit by the swimming pool to look for meteors in the Eta Aquarid meteor shower. Earlier I was out in the yard with my new Orion telescope viewing the comet Hale-Bopp, still visible in the northwest sky. At 10:30 p.m. I had my chair turned to view the Northwest for meteors when I spotted something eerie at about 75 degrees elevation and a 270-degree azimuth west of the planet Mars; a row of 6 softly glowing objects traveling at about jet speed on a vector from south to north. They were completely silent as they sped northward. This linear row of objects (or lights on one long object) was about 3x the length of an airliner at some 5-10,000 feet. There were no strobes or running lights. If the object was the size I estimated, it was around 350-400 feet in length. Then it did something that was most peculiar. The object pivoted around a point like a compass needle and changed direction, heading on a northwest trajectory before leaving our sight. The sighting only lasted 6 or 7 seconds.

      Bill