UFO Secrecy & The Death Of The American Republic Part II

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005

      In this section Richard Dolan writes about UFO secrecy.

      http://www.keyholepublishing.com/UFO%20Secrecy%20and%20the%20Death%20of%20the%20American%20Republic.Part%202.htm

      UFO Secrecy and the Death of the American Republic

      Part 2 of 2

      by Richard M. Dolan

      February 28, 2005

      Copyright ©2005 by Richard M. Dolan. All rights reserved.

      (To read the first part of this article, click here)

      [The author would like to thank several careful and thoughtful readers for their assistance and feedback in preparing this paper. They know who they are.]

      Of Science And Politics

      The development of silent fascism in America is of such historical significance, you might ask, "why talk about UFOs?" There is no shortage of culprits, so why bring in the lunatic fringe?

      Conversely, there are also UFO researchers who want no part of political analysis interfering with their field of study. This is a scientific issue, they maintain. Introducing political perspectives just muddies the waters. Analyze the evidence, know your facts, and stay objective.

      But the UFO topic has important political implications. We cannot afford to ignore them. One of these is the damaging effect UFO secrecy has had on our society. It is an issue that intimately affects public policy, national security, and our very freedom. Indeed, as I will argue, the topic of UFOs and the extreme secrecy concerning them will determine a significant course of our civilization’s future.

      Because UFO secrecy hasn’t been the only danger to our recent history, I tried in the first part of this article to provide some perspective, and by discussing some important non-ufological cancers that have eaten away at the American Republic. Such as the events of September 11, 2001.

      [As an aside, I should mention that after the first part of this article was published, most people who wrote to me commended me for discussing 9/11. But some questioned the wisdom of doing this. Indeed, one 9/11 researcher questioned some of my own assumptions regarding the Pentagon attack, but supported other assumptions, and led me to an argument with greater sophistication that arrived at the same conclusion, namely that some measure of complicity was involved in the attack. The fact is that 9/11 is the defining event of our era, and remains extremely divisive. To me, the events of that day appear a certain way, and I have stated what I think. I have not yet decided for myself what level of complicity occurred (e.g. various levels are possible, ranging from "someone in the government knew something beforehand," to "The President and his Cabal did it.") I do maintain that the events look suspicious, and that public inquiry has been blocked at every turn. Had this event happened in
      another country – say China – I believe that Americans and the American media would be looking at this very differently. An excellent general link on the matter is http://911research.wtc7.net/%5d

      Now to the matter at hand.

      Reality of UFO Phenomenon

      UFOs are not fun and games, they are not delusions. They are real. The phenomenon has involved real technology, doing real things that are not supposed to be possible. This technology, since at least World War Two, has engaged in a confrontational and provocative manner with U.S. military forces on many occasions. It has involved both air space violations and alarmed responses, and has elicited the concern of some of the highest ranking military and intelligence officers in the country.

      We know this because, for a relatively brief period in America’s history (primarily the late 1970s and into some of the 1980s), the Freedom of Information Act enabled researchers to obtain official documents from government agencies which clearly demonstrated this. Not that FOIA is officially dead today, but it has had its ups and downs over the years. As far as obtaining UFO-related information, FOIA’s moment of glory was long ago, in the post-Watergate and post-Vietnam era.

      Thus, agencies such as the CIA, DIA, FBI, and pick your alphabet-soup agency, which for years had steadfastly denied having anything to do with UFOs, suddenly released thousands of pages of documentation proving the opposite. It is true that, among these officially released documents, there is no absolute smoking gun – e.g. a memo from the President stating "Okay, what do we do about these pesky aliens, anyhoo?" There are, however, quite a few documents that are one cut below this. That is, documents that describe utterly awesome military encounters with the unexplainable.

      Taken individually, such FOIA documents do not prove the existence of UFOs as something "not us." After all, people, even military witnesses, can make mistakes. Radar can be faulty or misinterpreted. But, taken as a whole, the released FOIA documents provide a large body of evidence relating to serious military encounters with UFOs. After you read the first fifty of these, you start to wonder.

      Let’s review a couple of these documents.

      We have, for instance, a document from Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico from January 31, 1949, directed to the USAF Chief of Staff. There was a flurry of UFO activity going on in New Mexico at this time. The document in question described yet another of these sightings from the previous day, seen by about 30 people. The document states:

      "Estimate at least 100 total sightings. AEC, AFSWP, 4th Army, local commanders perturbed by implications of phenomena.... All appear to be same object at different points in trajectory. Unless instructed to contrary this office will make all out investigation with view to location of impact point if any."

      All those agencies "perturbed by implications of phenomena." Yes, indeed. I would be perturbed, too.

      On the same day that the Kirtland document was issued, Strategic Air Command sent a memo to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover. It stated that the matter of UFOs was "considered top secret by Intelligence Officers of both the Army and the Air Forces."

      A 1950 Confidential Memorandum with the heading, "Flying Disks." This memo is remarkable, and I want to separate each sentence from one paragraph, so that you read it carefully:

      "Since 30 July objects, round in form, have been sighted over the Hanford AEC Plant.

      These objects reportedly were above 15,000 feet in altitude.

      Air Force jets attempted interception with negative results.

      All units including the anti-aircraft battalion, radar units, Air Force fighter squadrons, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation have been alerted for further observation.

      The Atomic Energy Commission states that the investigation is continuing and complete details will be forwarded later."

      Where oh where are the academic historians regarding this memo? Failed intercepts? Anti-aircraft battalions? Good lord. And whatever happened to the AEC investigation and report?

      The answer to that last question might be contained in the wording of the 1949 memo sent to Hoover. It stated that the matter of UFOs was "considered top secret." Yet, of the thousands of UFO related documents that obtained release through the Freedom of Information Act, only the smallest handful of (highly censored) documents were actually Top Secret. The rest were typically classified Restricted or Confidential, or at most Secret. Lower levels of secrecy, in other words. So where are the Top Secret documents?

      Despite the best efforts of FOIA researchers, the best reports and intelligence remain far removed from the public domain. Despite what some people had hoped back in the day, the FOIA has not turned out to be a magic bullet.

      It is also fairly obvious that UFO secrecy involves classifications higher than Top Secret. Higher classifications are themselves classified, so who knows how far they really go. James Bamford in Body of Secrets, a study of the NSA, writes, "like an endless spiral, there are secret classification systems within secret classification systems." What we do know is that Canadian government official Wilbert Smith wrote in 1950 that he had made "discreet enquiries through the Canadian embassy staff in Washington" and learned that the subject of UFOs was "the most highly classified subject in the United States government."

      The last of the early memos I want to show you is from Robins Air Force Base in Macon, Georgia, dated July 9, 1951. It describes a ten minute aerial UFO encounter that took place in the early afternoon. The pilot, a first lieutenant, was flying an F-51 on a routine flight from Lawson AFB in Columbus, Georgia. Not far from Augusta, he encountered an object that was "flat on top and bottom and appearing from a front view to have rounded edges and slightly beveled." At one point the object dived while in front of the pilot’s view. When it did so, it appeared "completely round and spinning in a clockwise direction."

      The amount of detail on this report is remarkable. It continues: "From front view as object dived observer noted small spots on the object ...Object did not appear to be aluminum. Only 1 object observed. Solar white. No vapor trails or exhaust or visible system of propulsion. Described as traveling at tremendous speed." The object eventually "disappeared under his plane."

      Not only was this for an extended duration, but the pilot got to within 300 to 400 feet of the object. He estimated its size at about 10 to 15 feet in diameter. This object was moving very fast. According to the report, the pilot thought the object was moving at the speed of a jet. He felt a "disturbance in the air described as a bump when object passed under plane.... Pilot flew in combat in Europe for 12 months 1944-1945. Pilot considered by associates to be highly reliable, of mature judgement and a creditable observer."

      There are other documents like this. Taken as a group, they establish that, during this early period at least, there were quite a few events that were recorded and classified by U.S. military and intelligence personnel that they took seriously. It is easy to understand why.

      Soviet? American? Other?

      Were these objects of Soviet origin, developed perhaps with the aid of captured German scientists – some of whom were indeed experimenting with disk-shaped planforms? This possibility was investigated, and rejected. Today, years later, there is still no evidence that the Soviets invented "flying saucers" after World War Two.

      What about the Americans? They captured their own cache of German scientists, after all. One can speculate on the possibility that some breakthrough was made in the immediate post-World War Two years, in deep secrecy, as a result of purely terrestrial science.

      But there are several problems with this theory, as well. First, the documentation that we have indicates serious efforts on anti-gravity commencing in the mid-1950s. If anything started sooner within the United States, we have no documentary evidence. That is not to say it didn’t happen, but there are no documents to show it.

      Nor would it seem logical that this was a deep black American program, at least when viewing the confrontational nature of some of these encounters. The 1951 pilot encounter cited above, for instance, or the many intrusions over military bases and research centers, don’t make sense as a secret American project, at least not on the face of it.

      Unless, of course, you speculate that a rogue human group obtained radically advanced technology; a group beyond the control of official militaries and governments. I can’t prove this, but is it possible? Of course.

      That, frankly, seems to be the conservative interpretation, and it’s not exactly conservative. Then there is the more radical interpretation, which is that this technology wasn’t human in origin at all.

      Either way, this was clearly a serious matter to serious people. H. Marshall Chadwell, for instance, who was the CIA’s Deputy Director of Scientific Intelligence. By 1952, when UFO sightings were getting rather out of hand, and not just the public but military personnel were encountering these things with incredible frequency, we can imagine the concern that was generated at high levels. Only a handful of documents and statements have come down to us from that period: some books, a few reports and memos.

      One of them, however, speaks volumes. It’s a brief document, prepared by Chadwell for his boss, CIA Director Walter Bedell Smith. It was dated December 2, 1952. Chadwell was careful. He didn’t come out and say, "boss, we’re being invaded." Here is the relevant paragraph:

      "At this time, the reports of incidents convince us that there is something going on that must have immediate attention....Sightings of unexplained objects at great altitudes and travelling at high speeds in the vicinity of major U.S. defense installations are of such nature that they are not attributable to natural phenomena or known types of aerial vehicles."

      Not natural phenomena, not known types of vehicles, and not (apparently) U.S. manufactured. It didn’t appear to be Soviet. So what does that leave you with? No matter what the answer, this was clearly a matter of grave concern to the decision-makers of U.S. defense and intelligence policy.

      With that in mind, we can assume that the public statements, repeated over and over (flying saucers exist only in the imagination, nothing to them, all hoaxes or misidentifications, etc.) were intentional acts of deception. You can defend this lying if you choose. Maybe the government was trying to prevent mass panic, or hide their knowledge of this from the Soviets.

      But before you draw that conclusion, let us continue. And while we continue, I suggest you try to retain the image in your mind of an enormous reality that has continuously been denied by America’s responsible leaders. Like a big sleeping bear in the corner of your dining room that no one is allowed to acknowledge. Just sit quietly and eat your dinner.

      Technology and Bodies

      FOIA documents, important though they are, are not the whole story. Unfortunately, researchers in this field have the odds stacked against them. We’ve obtained some documents to review, it is true. But in reality, this is clearly a sprinkling – the spray of the ocean. The ocean itself remains roped off.

      So we must be resourceful. We must be journalists as well as historians. We seek out people who have something to say on this matter. We judge their credentials. We check their facts. We continue trying to piece this story together. The process is not infallible, we all know this. But it is necessary, and we must rely on our best judgement and sense of caution throughout.

      And thus we come to the strong reason to believe that UFOs are more than just objects flying around in the sky, but are in fact retrieved technology that is being stored and studied, and perhaps duplicated, at secret bases. We also come to the likelihood that there are bodies – alien bodies – that have been studied by human scientists.

      We come to this amazing conclusion because more than fifty years of history point inexorably toward it. There is Roswell, of course. Because the Roswell case has been so rich, so full of witness testimony, so portentous for its implications, debunking it has been a priority since the case arose. Roswell will not go away, despite ABC’s recent best effort to do so. But, frankly, Roswell is not of critical importance to establish the likelihood of UFO crash retrievals by the U.S. military. UFOs were recovered many times by U.S. military personnel. Kingman, Arizona in 1953, Las Vegas in 1962, and Kecksburg, Pennsylvania in 1965 are only among some of the better known cases in which U.S. military teams recovered what appear to have been genuine UFOs. There appear to be others.

      Once again, a remarkable statement by Canadian government official and scientist, Wilbert Smith, sheds light on this matter. Not long before his death in the early 1960s, Smith said that during the great UFO wave of 1952, the U.S. military had shot off a piece of a flying saucer near Washington, D.C. He said that the U.S. Air Force had loaned him a small piece for "a very short time." He showed it to his friend, U.S. Navy Rear Admiral H. B. Knowles. When asked if he returned the piece to the Air Force, he replied, "Not the Air Force. Much higher than that." Was it the CIA? Smith chuckled and said, "I’m sorry, gentlemen, but I don’t care to go beyond that point. I can say to you that it went into the hands of a highly classified group. You will have to solve that problem, their identity, for yourselves."

      Claims and statements have been around for years regarding the storage of alien bodies at secure facilities, most notably Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. During the late 1970s, UFO researcher and World War Two veteran Leonard Stringfield began to look closely into what he began calling "the crash retrieval syndrome." People contacted him anonymously, he followed leads and uncovered other individuals. By the early 1980s, he had spoken to twenty first-hand military informants who had either worked on a UFO crash retrieval or seen alien bodies in storage, another thirty or so who were intermediaries.

      By all accounts, Stringfield was a gentleman and a careful researcher. He honored his promise to protect the identities of the people who came to him, and never jumped to conclusions about what they told him. He also considered the possibility that he was being "played." Still, Stringfield ultimately believed that the sources were too disparate and did not appear to be coordinated. They appeared to be genuine, and the information legitimate. Collectively, they told a story of several crash retrievals of alien vehicles by U.S. military personnel, as well as the housing of bodies and study of technology at deeply classified levels.

      Stringfield’s research into this matter preceded the resurgence of the Roswell case. Indeed, we can trace rumors of crashed discs and alien bodies within the military to at least as early as 1949. There is an FBI document from March 22, 1950, addressed to J. Edgar Hoover, that is so suggestive, one wonders if researchers even know what to do with it. But the document – another gift from FOIA – appears to be authentic. It states:

      "An investigator for the air forces stated that three so-called flying saucers had been recovered in New Mexico. They were described as being circular in shape with raised centers, approximately fifty feet in diameter. Each one was occupied by three bodies of human shape but only three feet tall, dressed in metallic cloth of very fine texture ..."

      Many UFO researchers who stay in this field long enough develop their own contacts with the classified world. I have, and I have only been publicly involved in this field for five years. For some of the people who have confided in me, I have not been able to confirm their identities fully; for others there is no question that they are who they say they are. A few of these people are quite prominent. They have told me the same thing Stringfield’s contacts told him: there are deep black programs to study alien technology and bodies.

      But there is one person, very prominent indeed, who has been talking about this publicly for some years. He is Dr. Edgar Mitchell, of Apollo 14 fame, and the sixth man to walk on the moon. On several occasions, Mitchell has spoken in public about his knowledge of such programs – knowledge that came to him, he said, through more than one elite-level connection. The manner in which the mainstream media has handled his statements would be an embarrassment, if one didn’t sense an ulterior motive behind such treatment, namely to defuse his statements as much as possible.

      The secrecy on this matter is unbelievable. It appears to be part and parcel of an apparatus that is absolutely mammoth, and which does not exist officially. Dr. Richard Sauder has documented the existence of an enormous system of underground bases and even tunnels that stretches throughout the United States. Some of his research has uncovered a massive "shadow" government, so important and powerful that it appears to have authority over the "real" government. It would seem to me a logical guess that this system is related at least in part to the study of such bodies and technology.

      Along these lines, I have a friend who is a military attache living in Washington, D.C. Some time ago, this person told me of some quiet discussions he has had with his own colleagues. One friend of his was a senior Congressional Aid with significant budgetary review responsibilities. After a long period of number crunching, this Aid came to the conclusion that there existed an enormous black arm of the U.S. government. That is, a substantial, powerful, expensive, and secret executive branch of the U.S. government. This individual believed it was connected to UFOs. I was unable to get further information about this person.

      What It Looks Like

      Even this is only a partial picture, but the story looks clear enough. Cutting with Occam’s razor, the simplest explanation as I see it is something like this.

      During and immediately after World War Two, U.S. military personnel began encountering exotic, unconventional, and extraordinary craft. It quickly became apparent to the best and brightest minds that these did not originate with the Soviets, nor with the Americans. They almost certainly concluded the "true UFOs" did not originate from our civilization. Hardly willing to share this information with others, secrecy became the rule.

      At some point very early on, alien technology and bodies were recovered. It would be of paramount importance to determine several things as quickly as possible: the intentions of these "others," how to exploit their technology, and how to keep information away from undesirable groups, which would be just about everybody.

      The reason for secrecy would be much more than preventing mass panic or some other form of public protection. That sounds noble, and it may have been a factor early on in determining policy. But secrecy grows its own tentacles, and develops its reasons for self-preservation. I think that by the 1950s at the latest, the office of the Presidency lost control over UFO secrecy.

      Imagine being one of the members charged with managing the UFO problem. You have to keep it so secret, you almost have to hide it from yourself. Layer upon layer of deception follows, false cover story upon false cover story. We can assume that the technology itself would have been amazingly advanced, perhaps hopelessly so compared with what we had circa 1950. But perhaps, after a number of years, one clever scientist hit upon an idea based on one aspect of the recovered technology. Not only an incalculable technology advantage, but a nice ground floor investment opportunity.

      Over the years, much of the UFO information would have gone to private channels. This has been happening with all aspects of the military, why not UFOs? It’s especially useful in maintaining secrecy. Unlike a federal office, contractors such as Lockheed, Wackenhut, Kodak, General Motors, or any number of lesser known corporations, are not subject to Freedom of Information Act laws. A senior military or intelligence executive could hand off any number of sensitive papers to a trusted colleague in the private sector, knowing full well that the "working group" would maintain access to all material anyway.

      The value of this technology is, potentially and certainly in reality, immense. I spoke to one man, not anonymous but a real person with real black-world credentials, who said to me, "you know what they’re guarding out at Area 51? They’re guarding money! An enormous amount of money!" Money, he said, in the form of immensely valuable alien technology.

      Something else seems to have occurred along the way. According to a former head of Lockheed Skunkworks, the late Ben Rich, direct control over the UFO problem was removed from the U.S. Presidency around 1969. Since that time it has been controlled by private, international, channels. This is impossible to confirm at the present time. But it would be consistent with the ascendancy of international corporations and elites over most other aspects of global power.

      What it looks like is that UFO secrecy has led to the establishment of a secret network which controls access to ET technology. While the network is international, it uses the substantial resources of the U.S. black budget and other secret military groups as a primary tool, to engineer exotic technologies that enable it to maintain scientific, military, and economic superiority. Yes, that’s what it looks like.

      We need to re-examine the major events of our history and try to understand them in light of this. UFO reality makes our actual history vastly different from what we are taught in the standard books. With the existence of a secret and extremely powerful group controlling this subject and all that concerns it, a massive disinformation network has become necessary. Who knows how far the disinformation has gone? This is in itself a critical part of the reason UFO secrecy has helped to kill off the American Republic. Such levels of deception go beyond mere secrecy and make it necessary to toss out the old system in all but name.

      Recall my references in the first part of this article to important non-ufological threats to human freedom. For what is now apparent is that UFO secrecy has changed our system of government so much over the years, that various "corrections" have had to take place so that the externals can to some extent conform with the profound changes at the deeper levels. This has resulted in what I am currently calling silent fascism. Silent because the official powers are not acknowledging it as such, but it is there all the same. One wonders what the next "correction" could bring.

      A Matter of Practical Interest

      There is another, less appreciated, dimension to UFO secrecy. These objects, we know, have demonstrated amazing maneuvering capabilities. Some of them, at least, can accelerate instantly in all directions, turn on a dime, stop and hover motionlessly, and remain silent the whole while.

      Our military aircraft have been unable to compete. In 1975, UFOs that could hover like silent helicopters and move like silent jets were unmolested by U.S. aircraft. In a well-known incident over Belgium in 1990, a triangular UFO thoroughly outclassed F-16 interceptors. During the summer of 2002, just outside Washington, D.C., a UFO easily outpaced and outmaneuvered pursuing F-16s.

      A common question that arises is, what kind of propulsion system do these objects use. But I wonder, what makes them go?

      This question is more than academic. There are legitimate reasons to expect that we are about to experience a petroleum crisis of epic proportions, much sooner than we expect. Once a fringe belief, there are now many oil analysts who believe this. The problem is basic supply and demand. The supply is finite; the demand shows no signs of limit. In fact, global oil demand is now increasing at the fantastic rate of 4 percent annually, which translates into a doubling rate of every 17 years. I don’t care what your supply is, you cannot double demand of anything indefinitely, and certainly not at the rate the petroleum demand is moving.

      Recall the ancient Chinese story about the peasant who performed a good deed for the Emperor. "I will grant you any wish you ask," said the grateful Emperor. The peasant took a chess board and said, "I don’t ask for much. Simply place a grain of rice on the first square, then double the amount for each successive square on the board, and I will be content." "Silly peasant," thought the Emperor. "I would have given him something of value." For much of the board, the amount of rice was small enough. By the last few squares, however, the Emperor went broke. By the final square, the amount of rice would have exceeded all the rice in the world.

      Experts argue about when the petroleum crisis will hit, but it is the height of folly to pretend it won’t arrive. Whether it will be 50 years, 20 years, or 5 years, our civilization needs to find a way to replace petroleum. UFO technology very likely holds part of the answer, maybe all of the answer.

      Some people agree with this assessment, and believe that the "powers that be" are simply holding out on us until the oil truly runs out, just to maximize their profit. Then it’s free energy time – although we assume someone will find a way to make money from it.

      You had better hope that such blind trust turns out to be accurate. I’m less confident that a benevolent elite will bail my ass out at the eleventh hour. For all I know, they may have decided that there are too many of us on this planet, anyway. "Time to clean house. I’ve got my bunker. How about you?"

      Freedom and Self-Governance

      For a democratically-based political system to function, there must be a reasonable amount of congruence between what people believe and what is actually the case. You elect a member of congress with the idea that he or she will represent your interests within the nation’s primary instrument of political power: the Congress. Except that Congress has been made irrelevant by other centers of power, or been taken over by them.

      You get your news from television or your newspaper with the idea that the journalist on the other end is a kind of watchdog, looking out for the public interest. Except that the journalist is working for a corporation which is itself antithetical to the public interest.

      Unseen structures of power have evolved over the previous generations, advancing sometimes slowly, sometimes with a dramatic suddenness. But most people lack the conceptual means by which to understand what is happening.

      As I have suggested, I believe that a significant part of that power structure involves the possession and exploitation of UFO-related technology. And I certainly believe that the secrecy has gone on for so long that it has become integral to keeping the whole system together.

      Once you start lying, how can you un-do the lie? Today, UFO secrecy has been with the U.S. – and by extension the world – for about sixty years. That’s nearly as long as the Soviet Union existed on the basis of its own labyrinthian web of lies.

      The comparison is apt. I still recall holding in my hands a commemorative oversized Soviet book celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Bolshevik revolution of 1917. The book was published in 1937, during the depths of Stalin’s rule. There was a colorized version of a famous photograph showing Lenin at a podium speaking to a crowd, and I noticed that Leon Trotsky – Stalin’s great political enemy – had been airbrushed out of the picture. That’s simply how the Soviet system worked. The government lied constantly, and everyone knew it, and everyone in the country pretended that the government didn’t lie.

      Constant lying in the Soviet Union meant that the official powers had to systematically think about how to organize and manipulate public information to keep people in line. I remember trying to read through The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, an impossibly organized mess of propaganda and fact so that you couldn’t learn anything about anything that truly mattered. That’s just how it was.

      Looking back, we can see how it would have been impossible for such a society to continue indefinitely, ruled as it was on the basis of a series of lies. When Gorbachev took power in 1985, he wanted to reform that society. His catchphrases were glasnost and perestroika: openness and restructuring. I was a young student of Soviet history at that time, and remember the excitement well. I also recall the skepticism of some of my professors who continued to believe for some time that this was yet another communist plot.

      No matter. Within six years, there was no more Soviet Union. What happened? Well, one thing that happened, a big thing, was that the process of reform spiraled out of control. You make a big change here, and the next guy wants change over there. It becomes hard to put on the brakes. You start with openness, for example, and you open the books on Stalin’s gulag. You open the books on the particulars of the Bolshevik coup. Or the reconquest of the Ukraine in the 1920s, or the capture of the Baltic States in 1940, and on and on. Before long, entire subject peoples want to bolt, and many openly question the legitimacy of the Party’s rule. Then it is over.

      Disclosure Scenarios

      It’s no different today in America, and the UFO secret is at the core. Imagine if the President of the United States were to decide to end UFO secrecy. How would he do it?

      I can see him now. President George W. Bush steps up to the podium. Beloved Vice President Dick Cheney stands behind him. Trusted lieutenants Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleeza Rice are there, too. The cameras of all the world’s media are upon him.

      "Good evening," he begins. "Through a series of meetings with certain senior scientific and defense officials, it has come to my attention that the UFO phenomenon apparently is real, and is of extraterrestial origin."

      Silence.

      "Hokey dokey, that’s really all I have to say for now. We’ll provide updates as we get ‘em. I’m going on vacation for a while. Goodnight everyone."

      Well, maybe not. Disclosure is a pandora’s box with a panoply of taboo topics just waiting to spring out. It is, as one friend of mine calls it, "a sloppy tar-baby," a threatening, friendly, frightening, and inseparable bundle of unavoidable eventualities.

      So I can imagine a few questions, even from a media as compliant as the American. "Mr. President," one correspondent might say, "what are the intentions of these aliens?" Or, "Mr. President, what does this say about the claims of alien abduction? Are they real, after all?" Or how about, "Mr. President, what about claims of underground alien bases? Or claims of secret possession of alien technology?"

      These questions might not arise immediately. But they would arise eventually. Once you open that lid, it will be very difficult to control the outcome. The answers would not be pretty.

      For this reason, I doubt that disclosure will come from America’s political establishment. But there are always other countries. There are always the aliens. The truth is already here; it’s simply waiting to land.

      After all, what exactly are the secret keepers protecting? Let’s see. Power, wealth, control, their plans for the future, access to information, underground bases already built, the status quo.

      But there must be more. How about communication with aliens? Worm hole technology? Access to our genetic code? Or any number of technologies that we have not even begun to discuss openly in our society. Remember the statement of an Area 51 insider to aerospace journalist James Goodall – this was back in the 1980s – "we have things in the Nevada desert that would make George Lucas envious." In other words, Star Wars technology.

      Can you imagine the front page of the New York Times following a true disclosure of all this? "MASSIVE COVERUP EXPOSED." The biggest journalistic fiasco in history would finally be acknowledged, wholesale resignations would sweep the intelligence community, a political third party would do a clean sweep of Washington. Congress would promise emergency hearings, Arab oil nations would be in a state of collapse as oil price futures plummet, and the stock market would be in a headlong tailspin.

      People would realize that a massive power structure has existed for generations, and has siphoned away trillions of dollars. They would learn that it has played a dominant, though unacknowledged, role in shaping their lives.

      Think about NASA and the space shuttle program. There are no shortage of quiet discussions about the antiquated nature of NASA’s shuttle technology. Astronauts have died because better technology was denied to them. And that is merely the tip of the iceberg, for this issue goes far beyond NASA.

      No, people wouldn’t be pleased or especially understanding. Heads would roll.

      The American system of government, as it has come to exist, and by extension American society, and by extension our current global civilization, is not compatible with true UFO disclosure. Disclosure would rip it all away.

      You might argue that this would be a good reason to maintain the secrecy. On the other hand, I would argue it’s the best reason for disclosure.

      As bad as things look today, I retain hope for a post-disclosure world. I retain a faith – yes, I guess it’s faith – in the value of truth over all things. A statement by my favorite writer, Leo Tolstoy, hangs before me every day: "the one thing necessary, in life as in art, is to tell the truth." I cannot believe that a society based on a foundational lie can be better than one based on a foundational truth.

      When the Soviet Union came to an end, people adjusted to face new problems, but also new opportunities. We would have to do the same. Following the sense of betrayal, following the frenzy of revelations, following the planetary chain reaction of scrutiny and exposure, we might just awaken to a new world one fine morning. A world in which the lies have been scrubbed away, and in which new truths are shining everywhere.

      end.
      postamble();