Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Crashed UFO Or Out-Of-Control Missle?

Expand Messages
  • Light Eye
    Dear Friends, http://www.phenomenamagazine.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Area+51&action=page&obj_id=2154 Love and Light. David From the UFO Archives
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      Dear Friends,


      Love and Light.


      From the UFO Archives
      Crashed UFO Or Out-Of-Control Missile?Government Secrecy And UFOs
      Dateline: Monday, January 3, 2005
      By: NICK REDFERNBy: Phenomena US Editor In Chief
      800) w = 750 if (h>600) h = 550 popupWin = window.open(url, name, 'toolbar='+ t + ',location=' + l + ',scrollbars=' + s + ',menubars=' + m + ',resizable=' + r + ',width=' + w + ',height=' + h); } //done hiding --> While browsing through a variety of British Air Ministry and Army files on UFOs at the National Archive, Kew, England in 1996, I came across a solitary newspaper clipping contained in one particular file that related to an incident that had occurred at Walthamstow, England, in 1964.

      According to the clipping, at 8.43 p.m. on the evening of 13 April 1964, a Walthamstow-based bus driver, Bob Fall, was driving along Ferry Lane near the River Lea in Walthamstow when his attention was drawn to a fast-moving aerial object, which barely missed his bus, and plunged into the river near the Ferry Lane Bridge.

      At the time, Fall recalled that: “I just glanced into the sky and saw something coming towards me very, very fast. It flew straight across the road and, had I been a few yards further forward, it would have hit the top deck of the bus. At first I thought the back windows of the bus had come in and, as I turned around, I saw all the passengers looking out towards the river. There was a big splash in the water. I stopped as soon as I could to report it.”

      As I continued to read the newspaper article, I was amused to see that a police spokesperson had ventured the possibility that the object had merely been “four ducks” flying in formation!

      Bob Fall quickly discounted this possibility: “The thing was at least nine feet long, cigar-shaped and silver. If it had been a bird or birds I [would] have seen the wings. Besides, it was going too fast.”

      That was all I needed to persuade me to look into the case further. There was of course a possibility that the object – given its small size – was part of an aircraft, or, worse still, a stray missile dropped inadvertently from a passing military aircraft. It should be noted, however, that the press clipping was contained within a file devoted solely to the investigation of UFO encounters.

      I scanned other files at the National Archive for any and all papers relating to an incident involving a crashed or disabled aircraft at the time, but had no luck. Digging into the event, however, I learned that the investigator Ronald Caswell had looked into the crash and had uncovered a wealth of data that had been almost completely forgotten or overlooked by present-day researchers.

      Caswell was undoubtedly on to something, and he made an intriguing move. Reviewing a letter that he had written to the Air Ministry two weeks after the mystery object plunged into the River Lea, I noted that he had elected to inform the Air Ministry of the details of his own investigation.

      Indeed, Caswell informed the Air Ministry that he had visited the site in question and had learned that the object had actually hit a set of telephone wires as it plummeted towards the river. Caswell also advised the Air Ministry that he had a piece of the aforementioned wire in his possession.
      Notably, Caswell added further that while walking the length of the river, he had come across a “river policeman” working near the lockkeeper’s house. It transpired that the very talkative policeman had himself been present at 11 p.m. on 13 April 1964 and he had assisted officers from Greenleaf Police Station in dragging the river.

      Curiously, however, when Caswell indicated the area of the river that he had been examining, the river policeman revealed that he was looking in the wrong place and took Caswell across a foot-bridge, around a “grassy island” and to an area that forked from the main river. The water, said Caswell, was no more than 4-6 feet deep at this location. Caswell was advised (by the policeman) that nothing had been found after the water had been dragged.

      Caswell further informed the Air Ministry that this was in stark contrast to the data that he had uncovered and that suggested after the general public had been “cleared off,” heavy lifting gear was brought in during the early hours of the following morning to recover whatever it was that had crashed. Not only that: Caswell had also learned that the location where the mystery object had crashed was at another point on the river to that which the river policeman had advised him, and where the water was 30-40 feet in depth.

      Interestingly, Caswell’s investigations had also uncovered the intriguing fact that a “Wing-Commander from the Air Ministry” had personally driven to Walthamstow on 25 April 1964, to interview the bus driver, Bob Fall.

      A further examination of the file showed me that on 14 May 1964, Caswell received a reply from a Mr. R. A. Langton at the Air Ministry, who stated that he had not further reports on the Walthamstow incident. “I hesitate to suggest any possible identification for the Walthamstow object,” he added.

      However, Langton seemed far more intrigued by Caswell’s assertion that Bob Fall had received a visit from an unidentified Wing-Commander: “If a wing commander from the Air Ministry took the trouble of driving to Walthamstow to interrogate the bus-driver on 25 April, I should be most grateful for any further information you may have that would enable me to identify him,” added Langton to Caswell.

      Despite the genuinely intriguing nature of the data uncovered by Ronald Caswell (that suggested something had indeed crashed and had been recovered undercover of darkness from the River Lea), the incident was never resolved – at least, not publicly.

      Was the incident nothing but a case of misidentification, as the police suggested? Was the strange object part of an aircraft or a stray missile even? Or could it have been something more exotic and of relevance to the UFO controversy?

      Perhaps someone, somewhere, knows. Or perhaps the answers still lie buried somewhere in the River Lea…

      References: Walthamstow Guardian newspaper 17 April 1964; Letter from Ronald Caswell to the British Air Ministry, 29 April 1964; National Archive files: AIR 2/17982 and AIR 2/17983. Crown copyright exists.

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.