On the poll results for ufodiscussion

  • Keith McLean
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      Thanks for voting in the recent polls on the moderation questions.

      I think the results indicate that everyone is generally happy with how
      things are going with regard to ufodiscussion. I'll remain as
      moderator/owner for the foreseeable future, and feel happy enough with
      things. Thanks to everyone for contributing articles, opinions and
      points of view to the list and keep it going. :)

      Thanks also to Regan and Janet for your interest and support.

      Anyway, have a good day.

      Thanks,

      Keith McLean (owner/moderator)
    • Regan Power
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
        Keith,

        I would just like to say that I do think you are doing just fine as
        Moderator/Owner and I am glad to hear that you feel happy about remaining in
        that capacity for the time being.

        Also, I am sorry not to have been able to participate in the recent
        poll, but I have been suffering a plethora of technical "glitches" on my
        computer lately that have made using the net a real ordeal for me. It all
        seemed to start when I downloaded Windows Security Pack 2 and found that it
        immediately blocked my access to basic system-information! It told me that
        I could get more information from my system administrator. That's me!

        A series of problems arose thereafter, involving all three of my
        ISPs and various bits of security software that are running on my p.c.,
        although these were probably unconnected with Windows Security Pack 2, it's
        fair to say. However, the concatenation of the whole lot has left me
        breathless and feeling that the term "internet surfing" has become a sick
        joke these days. Surfing implies effortless motion that is under one's own
        control. But today, my computer is not under my own control and the
        once-simple and easy act of visiting and navigating a web-site has become an
        arduous, time-consuming labour, in which I can realistically expect new,
        unexpected and unnecessary problems to assail me on every occasion. As I
        write, an icon is flashing on my task bar which bears the dispiriting
        legend, "Updates are ready for your computer. Click here to download these
        updates." Who knows what can of worms I shall open now if I do "Click here"
        as prompted? And who knows what spam, spyware or virus susceptibilities my
        p.c. may be open to if I don't?

        Happy, the "primitive" tribesman who does not have to suffer such
        afflictions of a hi-tech, commercially aggressive, uncivilized civilization.
        His time is his own and his life is under his own control. No so for those
        of us who want/need to use the Internet, however. I think this forum itself
        demonstrates how poorly we are being served by a communication-system that
        has been vaunted as the culture-icon of the modern age. When it started,
        less than half a year ago, we were able to correspond in Rich Text format,
        which meant we could use italics, bold-type, underlines, different fonts and
        even different colours. We could include pictures in the text-body and the
        text would go wherever we put it. This facility enabled us to produce
        emails that were not only clear to read, but also a pleasure. (Not that we
        always did that, of course, but my point is that the facility to do it was
        there.) But steadily and progressively, restrictions have come in and now
        we are reduced to just being able to correspond in Plain Text - the minimal
        facility and functionality. And accordingly, communication is harder.

        Is this situation not ironic? We have at our fingertips a
        communication facility that is widely thought to be the most sophisticated
        product of any human civilization that ever was, but we cannot use it beyond
        the most crude and primitive level. How much of our disk-space is taken up
        by "facilities" like Rich Text that we cannot use? If this trend goes on, I
        can foresee us going back to corresponding by snail-mail round-robins before
        very long. Hmmn, now that idea might be worth some consideration.......

        Regards,
        Regan
        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
          Oh Regan I do feel for you... Last week I left my computer running for a
          while and came back and an email icon popped up. I open it and my computer
          tells me I don't have enough room to open it. So I try to close down
          everything to reboot. It won't let me shut down. After half an hour of
          cont-alt-delete the screen comes up as running in safe mode... Now when it
          does this your screen saver looks rather muted color wise. My son was here
          so I have him look at it. Took him a couple of hours and a phone call and we
          finally realised it was no longer in safe mode and had been fixed but the
          colors had been changed to look like it was in safe mode still. So you see I
          do understand and comiserate with you...;-)

          Thanks for voting in the recent polls on the moderation questions.

          I think the results indicate that everyone is generally happy with how
          things are going with regard to ufodiscussion. I'll remain as
          moderator/owner for the foreseeable future, and feel happy enough with
          things. Thanks to everyone for contributing articles, opinions and
          points of view to the list and keep it going. :)

          Thanks also to Regan and Janet for your interest and support.

          Anyway, have a good day.

          Thanks,

          Keith McLean (owner/moderator)

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Regan Power
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
            Thanks for your comiserations, Jahnet. It feels good to know that I
            am not the only one who has had to suffer these trials and tribulations,
            although I am sorry that you've had to suffer them too. I would order you a
            comiseratory drink on the Net, but in view my present problems, I think I'd
            better not do that. You'd probably end up with sprout-wine, or something
            equally ghastly!

            Cheers, though,
            Regan
            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
              Regan,

              Thanks for your comments and good wishes. :) :)

              Yes, despite having studied IT subjects academically I can't
              understand either why computers at times do not function properly.

              Computing and the internet are increasingly a commercial venture it
              would seem, with increasing competition between stakeholders.
              Typically, the efficency aspect and the desire to avoid legal
              confrontations via copyright law are both factors which would concern
              internet companies, I would think. Artistic and social freedoms are
              reduced to fit this codified landscape, in favour of a product
              orientated or "branding" strategy and ethic. So it would seem these
              reductions in features and technical foulups that you refer to are a
              product of this activity.

              Do you know what I discovered today? My computer informed that a had a
              number of unread emails, refering to the contents of my Outlook
              Express program. Now, while I receive email correspondence from my ISP
              in Outlook, I don't use it activity for email. Surprisingly, not opnly
              had a few messages from my ISP, but I had actually received email meat
              for SOMEONE ELSE! The person who was the intended recipient was also a
              "Keith McLean", but naturally his email address was not mine, but
              shared the same ISP email service system. So, somehow my ISP had
              fouled up somewhere.

              Anyway, I hope you can remedy the computer problems, Regan. I have
              found having a friend involved in IT is a great person to get
              technical advice from - someone who deals with technical issues directly.

              Thanks,

              Keith

              --- In ufodiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "Regan Power"

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2004
                Sorry about the typos in that email, Regan.

                Some "a"s should have been "I"s, "meat" should have been "meant", etc.

                Thanks,

                Keith

                --- In ufodiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McLean" <kmskywatch@y...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2004
                  Keith,

                  Ah, the tribulations of composing and posting readable emails, eh?
                  I know how you must feel! But your sentence construction was so good that I
                  could correct your typos in my mind with little effort and get the sense of
                  what you were saying anyway. I would that could be so with all the emails I
                  send and receive!

                  In saying that you have studied IT academically and even you can't
                  understand why our computers act up sometimes, you have helped answer a
                  question that has been in my mind for a few years now. I have been
                  wondering who really owns my computer. Do I, or does Bill Gates? Now I
                  know. Bill Gates does.

                  Regards,
                  Regan
                  _____