Statements by the late Ben Rich (Lockheed skunkworks) on UFOs

  • Bill Hamilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2004
      I posted this once before on the Skywatch list, but will post it here again for the purpose of making it known.

      Ben Rich on UFOs

      A few weeks ago I posted a message about Ben Rich, the late head of the
      Lockheed Skunk Works and his statement about UFOs, that some of them are theirs and that some of them are ours.

      Then I found the following statement in a paper emailed to me from Bill
      McDonald.

      "In 1993, at an engineering conference inLos Angeles , Dr. Ben R. Rich
      stated to the future Section Director of the Mutual UFO Network of Orange County, California, engineer Jan Harzan, that we already had in our possession the technology to take us to the stars. This was in a
      conference room full of aerospace and computer engineers from many different aerospace and software companies."

      Well, it just so happens that Jan was the source of the rumor that Ben Rich made statements in a presentation he gave to the group of engineers which happened to be members of a UCLA Alumni association who were invited to hear this presentation by Ben Rich on March 23, 1993.

      The late Ben R. Rich, a UCLA School of Engineering alumnus (MS '50) who is known as the "Father of Stealth," is recognized as one of the best aircraft engineers in the world and led development of the heralded F-117 stealth fighter.

      Knowing Jan, I called him to clarify what Ben said at this presentation to UCLA engineering alumni. I work at UCLA and am only steps away from the engineering building.

      Here is what Jan, a Senior Project Executive with Boeing told me about Ben's presentation:

      -Ben showed slides and went through the history of the Skunk Works. Showed pics of U2 and SR-71 and drones that no one had seen before.

      -The kicker was the last slide. It showed a black disk headed for space. Ben showed this and made the statement, "We now have the technology to take ET home". He made this statement in 1993, but did not say how long we have had this tech.

      There was a Q&A after the lecture. In this Q&A, he told the engineers that it was now possible to travel to the stars. There was an error in the equations which was corrected. The time of travel is fast, but he didn't say how fast.

      Ben said he believed that security was too oppressive and that the time had come to develop this technology in the commercial world now that the cold war has ended. Months later he died of cancer.

      Jan is going to consult with his friend Tom who was also present and do an article on this in a future MUFON Journal.

      I thanked Jan and we plan to meet again soon.

      As far as I am concerned, Ben Rich had seen the smoking gun.
      Bill Hamilton

    • John Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        The timing of this incident is interesting.

        It happened a year after arch skeptic Phil Klass' publication, the
        conservative Aviation Week and Space Technology, ran an article claiming
        that the propulsion system of the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber includes an
        electro-gravitic component.

        It was in this same time period that a friend and co-worker of mine and I
        saw a UFO one morning on our way to work. We were traveling down the
        interstate at about 5:30 one morning when we saw it. It was a flying wing
        configuration and was flying straight at us, straddling the interstate, at
        an altitude of 200-300 feet. It had a wingspan of about 250 feet...wide
        enough to straddle the east and west bound lanes of the freeway (3 in each
        direction), a wide median, wide shoulders and out a bit beyond the chain
        link fencing along the freeway boundaries. Neither my friend nor I had any
        thought that this was an extraterrestrial object. It had all the lights on
        it that you'd expect a military aircraft to exhibit when making a landing
        approach.......the only remarkable things were the illegal altitude, the
        fact that it made no sound that could be heard over the morning traffic and
        that it was traveling at a speed that we estimated at 25-35 miles an hour.

        We both believed that it was terrestrial and military in origin. To remain
        airborne at that speed would require something along the line of an
        electro-gravitic component.

        Cheers,

        Smitty