Woman Votes All Democrat - Ballot Marked Bush/Cheney

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1 10:54 AM

      Something tells me that if the race is close it'll be a long while before a winner is declared...

      Love and Light.

      Li'l Mismarker
      Claim: A Texas woman who cast her vote for all Democratic candidates discovered her ballot marked for Bush/Cheney.

      Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2004]

      Yesterday a friend voted early at a polling location in Austin. She voted straight Democratic. When she did the final check, lo and behold every vote was for the Democratic candidates except that it showed she had voted for Bush/Cheney for president/vice pres.

      She immediately got a poll official. On her vote, it was corrected. She called the Travis County Democratic headquarters. They took all her information, and told her that she wasn't the first to report a similar incident and that they are looking into it.

      So check before you leave the polling booth, and if anything is wrong, get it corrected immediately. Report any irregularities to your local Democratic headquarters.

      Make sure you pass this along to your friends ... hopefully this is all over the airwaves by tomorrow ...

      Origins: As political rumors and tales of wrongdoing go, this one is a bit of an odd duck in that while everything reported in the widely circulated alert is true, the underlying message of the piece — that someone or something has been deliberately tampering with the election process for the nefarious purpose of guaranteeing a win for a particular political party — isn't.

      In 2004, some of those voting in the advance polls held in Travis County, Texas, experienced an unusual result: after selecting the straight Democratic ticket, the ballot summaries subsequently displayed on their screens indicated they were about to vote for George W. Bush. This perplexing turn of events was the result of poorly designed balloting software colliding with voter error.

      As well as the candidates' names, a referendum item for a $60 million commuter line was also on the ballot, displayed at the end. Those who chose to vote for a single party by way of selecting the 'straight ticket' option on the eSlate voting machines then in use in that district (they've since been removed) still had to scroll down to the end of the ballot to find the referendum. However, because that measure was off-screen, some voters failed to realize it was there, prompting some who opted for the straight ticket to prematurely attempt to complete the process by hitting the enter button rather than the next page button. According to elections division manager Gail Fisher, hitting 'enter' rather than 'next page' caused selections to redistribute in the following manner: "If someone casts a Democratic ticket, they're seeing that the change switches from the first position on the ballot, which is a Bush/Cheney ticket. If they cast a Republican straight party ticket, what they see is
      that first position in the presidential contest switches back to a 'No' selection."

      Thankfully, a ballot summary page appeared on the screen before the ballot was cast, which gave those using the eSlate machines a chance to review their selections before making them final. Those who had experienced such a shift by inadvertently skipping the Capital Metro commuter rail referendum were able to get the matter straightened out and so cast their votes for their candidates of choice.

      The machines that produced this anomaly have since been taken out of service, so they will not contribute to further polling confusion on election day. Even while the problem existed, it wasn't the widespread scourge one might have thought it would have been: out of the approximately 70,000 who cast their ballots by 23 October 2004 in that district, election officials received only about 12 calls reporting the problem. Remember, to trigger that startling effect, voters both had to be attempting to mark a straight ticket and unthinkingly skipping past the referendum item, a double prerequisite that served to severely limit the number of people affected.

      Barbara "machina ex deus" Mikkelson

      Last updated: 31 October 2004

      The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/travis.asp

      Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2004
      by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson
      This material may not be reproduced without permission.

    • vgambino1@cox.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1 5:25 PM
        > From: Light Eye
        > Date: 2004/11/01 Mon PM 01:54:24 EST
        > To: ufodiscussion@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [ufodiscussion] Woman Votes All Democrat -
        Ballot Marked Bush/Cheney
        Hi All
        This article is only one of many that will be reported
        over the next few days from all over the country. It
        amounts to nothing new. I personally do not think either
        candidate is worthy of my vote but that is not the answer
        to repair this or address the inequities that pervade the
        elections for any and all the candidates we vote for.
        I feel the electoral college is outdated and the use of
        voting machines and individual ballets cast at poling
        places are no longer necessary. with the advent of the
        world wide web and computers it is now possible to do
        away with this antiquated method of voting and we can
        become a truly democratic society where every vote is
        counted and the majority rules.
        By the use of home, business, school, and library
        computers each and every registered voter could cast
        his or her vote and the total counted in real time. Many
        of the acts of tampering and voter fraud could be
        eliminated and the true majority would prevail.
        The time has come and the use of this method would
        also eliminate much of the expenses and delays in
        counting the votes. By contracting a reputable
        accounting house and providing a dedicated
        mainframe to tally the votes we could view the results in
        real time and vote from the comfort and privacy of our
        own homes or work places. The only expense would
        be the generating of individual passwords and
        identifications for the voting public , these would be
        provided by the accounting company. they would be
        mailed to every registered voter and with the addition of
        a few other security protocols would insure the vote of
        every american would count toward the end result in a
        direct and true democratic way.
        I feel this is the only way we will ever achieve a truly
        democratic society. I will forward this to my
        congressman and both of the political parties and hope
        they will see the truth of my words. If you think this is a
        good idea add your name to the bottom of my letter and
        return it to me. I will add your voice to mine and we may
        be able to force them to see reason.

        Vern Gambino