Re: [ufodiscussion] Re: regarding misquoting

  • Os Wilkes
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 13, 2004
      >======
      >K1: It's restricted membership now. However, I wonder how you can
      >screen applicants if you don't know anything about them?
      >======

      Dear Keith,

      When someone is trying to hide their identity, they often have a newly
      created ID. Sometimes even created the day they apply. This is the
      first thing to look for. People who use older ID's generally have no
      reason to hide who they are from group moderators, although this is not
      always true.

      The moderator can ask for a posting history. Smitty does this, he sends
      out a form letter to every applicant. You might want to review it. He
      asks to see which groups the applicant has been involved in. If they
      are not above board or have a history of disruptive behaviour, they will
      not let you visit groups they have been in lest you see how they play
      with others.

      This is helpful if your group has a focus which is controversial. Some
      people join just to be disruptive and hateful. Like religious
      fundamentalists who join gay issues groups or staunch Dittoheads who join
      PETA or NOW groups. If you saw the other groups they belonged to, and
      what they post, you might think twice about admitting them if your group
      has the opposite focus.

      I don't have a problem providing a posting history or any background to
      moderators. I have only been denied entry into one group, and that was
      because I genuinely do not want people to know where I live, and this was
      a requirement of that group. But they were discussing very intimate
      things, and I understood completely that they needed to fully trust the
      members.

      I hope this has been helpful.

      Warmly,

      Os