Top UK Cardinal Keith O'Brien Resigns: Will Skip Papal Conclave Over SEX Misconduct Allegations

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      Dear Group,
      More and more and more, it appears manifestly that the Catholic Church is becoming undone of its own doing. Can you think of a better possible way that it can redeem itself. What about the election of a so-call dignified, trusted Priest/Cardinal who is of African descent, namely, Cardinal Peter of Ghana?
      Could it happen? Well, given all the long-standing pedophilic sex scandals and mayhem surrounding the rulers of the Catholic Church both past and present, just maybe - yes indeed!
      Thanks
      -
      Top UK Cardinal Keith O'Brien Resigns: Will Skip Papal Conclave Over SEX Misconduct Allegations
      By GREGORY KATZ and NICOLE WINFIELD
      LONDON -- Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Britain's highest-ranking Catholic leader, says he is resigning as archbishop in the wake of misconduct allegations and will be skipping the conclave to elect a successor to Pope Benedict XVI.
      The cardinal said in a statement Monday that he will not attend because he doesn't want media attention focused on him during the important session in Rome.
      Experts said the decision not to attend the papal conclave is unprecedented; never before has a cardinal stayed away from a conclave because of personal scandal, according to Vatican historian Ambrogio Piazzoni, the vice prefect of the Vatican library.
      The Vatican confirmed that O'Brien had resigned as archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh. It was accepted under the code of canon law due to O'Brien's age; he turns 75 – the normal retirement age for bishops – on March 17.
      He said in a statement that he is in "indifferent health" and that he had offered his resignation last November. A church statement says the pope accepted O'Brien's resignation on Feb. 18.
      "Looking back over my years of ministry: For any good I have been able to do, I thank God. For any failures, I apologize to all whom I have offended," he said.
      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/25/uk-cardinal-resigns_n_2758151.html?utm_hp_ref=daily-brief?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=022513&utm_medium=email&utm_content=NewsEntry&utm_term=Daily%20Brief>