Geelong UFOs explained?

  • Keith M
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2010
      "A HIGHTON man has filmed mystery balls of light zig-zagging across Corio Bay as other residents across the city reported similar sightings, prompting speculation of UFOs."

      - http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/04/23/166721_news.html

      Map of the area where the sighting was made:

      http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Balyang+Sanctuary&sll=-38.145628,144.437256&sspn=0.135002,0.308647&ie=UTF8&cd=1&hq=Balyang+Sanctuary&hnear=&ll=-38.156157,144.365501&spn=0.064117,0.154324&z=13

      Video of sighting:

      http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/04/22/166441_news_videos.html

      More on the event from "Geelong Advertiser" website:

      "Anthony Raduka filmed the lights from the deck of his Highton home about midnight on Monday.

      The footage shows balls of light flying over Corio Bay at great speed, dipping as low as street level before zig-zagging back up through the sky.

      The balls change colour and shape during the 20 minutes of footage.

      Mr Raduka said the light was too fast to be an aircraft and it travelled in all directions.

      ``We have watched fighter jets from our deck when the Airshow is on and these lights were going 10 times quicker,'' he said.

      ``It could be a UFO, I don't know what they are. All of the things we thought of didn't explain the fact it changed colour or that it was going so fast.'' Mr Raduka said he had never seen anything like it.

      ``We just stood there for about half an hour, trying to work out what it could be,'' he said.

      Several Geelong Advertiser readers reported seeing similar balls of light near the bay.

      Luke Penna, from Tates Toy Store, said it was possible the lights were a model aircraft or helicopter.

      ``There has been mates of mine who have been flying down at the Belmont Common and people drop in and see them thinking the lights are UFOs and that sort of rubbish,'' he said.

      Mr Penna said some model aircraft could fly up to a kilometre high and as far as the eye can see.

      What are your thoughts on this story? Tell us using the feedback form below

      ``As for speed, it varies, you can get quite fast ones and then there are some that go pretty slow, from walking speed up to a couple of hundred kilometres an hour,'' he said.

      ``But you generally wouldn't fly a fast one at nightime because of orientation.''"

      A reader responds:

      " I am happy to report, these lights were from several remote controlled aircraft being flown at Balliyang Sanctuary on Monday night. We were curious as to the lights and followed the source where we discovered several men having some fun and fooling alot of curious souls... sorry to disappoint
      Posted by: Knows the truth of Geelong 2:27pm today" (- 23rd April 2010).

      But an Australian UFO investigator - Doug Moffett - doubts the lights could have been remote controlled toys:

      "UFO Research NSW spokesman Doug Moffett said he viewed the footage and had ruled out all the usual explanations for the strange light patterns.
      ``I have no explanation for it,'' he said.

      Mr Moffett said artificial illuminators such as flares would not last long enough for the footage and the lights moved too fast and too erratically to be aircraft.

      ``The motion of the lights seem to be tumbling, if it were a model aircraft it would travel pretty constantly and it wouldn't go as low as the lights in the footage,'' he said.

      ``If it was a regular light source it would disappear when it dipped down in front of other lights but it doesn't.''

      He said the balls of light seemed to change colour in line with a change of a velocity. ``It's certainly a UFO in the strict sense of the word,'' he said."
      (- "Expert can't explain myterious objects in the sky". 23 April 2010. http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/04/23/166731_news.html )

      What do you make of this? I think it's highly possible that these were model aircraft, especially as other witnesses or otherwise people local to the area describe charactersitics which conform with models of this type.