FT. Benning etc..

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2009
      Cross posting:

      Grist Von writes...

      I believe I have somewhat like experience. 1972, September, Great Lakes US. Navy Recruit Training Center. Last week of basic training cycle before shipping home on leave and subsequent "A" school assignment. Command asked for volunteers to go for throat swab at sick bay. Only I volunteered from my company bay. I was 17. What would I know about never volunteering for anything? At sick bay (hospital), ushered into curtained exam area. Corpsman in lab whites (gloved and masked) swabbed my throat with long swab from a tall jar with only a couple of sticks in it and attached tape with my id to swab and into second bottle. Sent back to barracks. Next morning too sick to rise at wake up call. No trip to sick call. No ambulance. No trouble. Left alone there in my bunk by everyone for days I guess with a "Special Medical Chit" taped to the foot of my bunk. Does that sound like SOP for the last week of basic training to anyone? Next I remember is waking probably two days later when a regular cadre company Petty Officer got me out of bed and in/out of shower, helped me dress, and pack my sea bag, gave me my paperwork (leave papers, travel pay, and orders) and took me to a bus loading for Ohare airport. The rest of my company was gone and barracks were vacant. I had graduated, taken grad liberty and been "counseled" on required movements and leave laws all while being unconscious for days and not out of bed for food, water, toilet, anything I am aware of. I'm certain I was a lab animal for a bio weapon test of some sort. I was ill, weak, and disoriented for half my leave period and remember nothing of those missing days. I only started remembering and trying to evaluate this event recently. I think I was conditioned back then to NOT question or bring the memory to active file status. At my current age and mind set I would have been extremely frightened and pissed at these events. Then; nothing... all part of boot camp. I do remember feeling gratitude that I wasn't in deep trouble for having been what must have been AWOL in bed those last days of boot and so happy to be leaving safely from that zoo. Amazing scenario in retrospect. And also interesting I thought little of it or about it for some thirty years.

      Nothing would surprise me after the nuclear dust cloud tests on active duty personnel and civilians of White Sands and the Atolls et al testing grounds in the 40's and 50's.

      Incident at FT. Benning rings par for the course to me. The gov. makes it perfectly clear from day one that they own you and treat you thusly from that day forward. Anyone remember this famous quote? "Give your soul to God, because your ass belongs to me!" nuff said.