Bill Gates\Warrior?

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
      'There's no reason only poor people should get malaria': The moment Bill Gates released jar of mosquitoes at packed conference

      By David Gardner
      Last updated at 6:36 PM on 05th February 2009

      It was a show-stopping move by any standards.

      Bill Gates, the billionaire founder of Microsoft and a renowned philanthropist, let loose a swarm of mosquitoes at a technology conference in California to highlight the dangers of malaria.

      �Malaria is spread by mosquitoes,� the Microsoft founder yelled at a well-heeled crowd at a technology conference in California.
      �I brought some,� he added. �Here, I�ll let them roam around � there is no reason only poor people should be infected.�

      He let the shocked audience sweat for a minute or so before assuring them that the freed insects were malaria- free.
      But that didn�t satisfy all the attendees.
      �That�s it. I am not sitting up front anymore,� eBay founder Pierre Omidyar said.
      The stunt was an attempt by Gates � who quit Microsoft last year to concentrate on his charity work - to hammer home the importance of malaria prevention.
      It is one of the pet projects of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that announced last year it was donating �115 million to help develop a vaccine for the deadly disease.
      Up to 2.7 million people a year still die of malaria each year, 75 per cent of them African children.
      Although malaria has been eradicated in most countries with temperate climates, it is still prevalent on continents like Africa and Asia, which have tropical or subtropical climates.
      Gates was speaking at the Technology, Entertainment and Design conference in Long Beach, California which attracts the great and the good from the worlds of science, technology, business, entertainment and academia.
      The organisers of the TED conference said it was an 'amazing moment' and provided the audience with 'food for thought'.

      Chris Anderson, curator of the show, quipped that the moment should be headlined, 'Gates releases more bugs into the world'.

      Gates said more money was being spent finding a cure for baldness than developing drugs to combat malaria.
      'Now, baldness is a terrible thing and rich men are afflicted,' he joked. 'That is why that priority has been set.

      'The market does not drive scientists, thinkers, or governments to do the right things. Only by paying attention and making people care can we make as much progress as we need to.'
      He called for greater distribution of insect nets and other protective gear, and revealed that an anti-malaria vaccine funded by his foundation and currently in development would enter a more advanced testing phase in the coming months.

      'I am an optimist; I think any tough problem can be solved,' he said.
      Malaria: The facts

      Malaria is one of the biggest killers in the developing world. Most casualties occur in sub-Saharan Africa, where the most deadly strain of malaria is prevalent.
      The disease is caused by a parasite transmitted by certain types of mosquitoes. Symptoms usually begin with a high fever, neck and back pain and progress to shivering, vomiting and convulsions. Children are particularly vulnerable.

      Although pills exist that can help prevent malaria, there is currently no vaccine. Preventative medication is used mainly by travellers and is not available to the vast majority of people living in the Third World.

      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1136463/Theres-reason-poor-people-malaria-The-moment-Bill-Gates-released-jar-mosquitoes-packed-conference.html

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
        I notice that the US military is keeping ominously quiet during
        these proceedings. Although you would think from this article that no
        significant research has been done to develop a malaria vaccine, in fact a
        lot of research has been done for many years, originally in China before
        western commercial interests got interested in the startling Chinese
        results. The Chinese had discovered that a common herb was an effective
        cure for malaria but of course the western drug companies were not
        interested in growing herbs. They wanted to identify the active ingredient
        in the herb and then synthesise it in laboratories in order to market it in
        a controllable fashion as a vaccine. They succeeded in doing this and then
        the US military moved in and acquired the patents, which they still hold.
        The result - an effective malaria vaccine suppressed by the US military.
        Not only this, but its possession of the patent-rights means that the Bill
        and Melinda Gates Foundation will be blocked from utilising that particular
        vaccine if they should rediscover it. Unless, perhaps, they would care to
        negotiate a deal with the US military?

        Isn't it miraculous how power and wealth on this planet flow
        inexorably, like water under the pull of gravity, into the greedy grasp of
        the super-secret US military-industrial-political complex?

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
          I wasn't aware of this..
          Thank you much Regan. I'm beginning to get profusely confounded.

          Dex