Correction/Crater Dome on Mars

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2008
      Correction:

      Nice going Dean...
      The below is Shady's posting. I made the correction at the forum.

      Better yet. Mars! Remarkable. That picture is hard to refute.

      Dex
      _____________
      Shady Groves wrote:
      NASA footage of the Moon. BEFORE it goes the airbrushing department and then released to public.

      Can you spot what is going to be Airbrushed out?
      _____________

      Hello again Dex,

      Just to ensure that there's no doubt as to where the domed crater is
      located in the solar system, here's the link posted within the
      "thunderbolts.info" article in which you'll find the image
      that was posted at "thegoldenthread" website.

      http://ida.wr.usgs.gov/html/m15012/m1501228.html

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2008
        Dex,

        That certainly is a striking anomaly on the Martian surface. It's
        not a new discovery though. I've got shots of it taken from various angles
        on my comupter dating back to April 2004.

        Having spent several hours enhancing the images this way and that
        though, I am still unable to determine finally whether the structure is
        natural or artificial. To find a smooth dome in the middle of a crater on
        the surface of Mars would not be entirely unexpected and could be explained
        as the natural result of a meteor impact. The dome might have formed as the
        depressed crust that had melted under the heat of the impact bounced back
        upwards and then cooled and solidified before it had sunk back down again -
        an effect which would have been exaggerated in the low Martian gravity.

        However the regular striations on the dome seem harder to explain.
        Perhaps they are the results of a natural process but perhaps too they are
        the dome's skeletal frame starting to emerge as the surface gets eroded
        away. The signs of erosion are clearly evident and suggest that whether the
        dome is natural or artificial it has to be very old.

        But there is another anomalous feature in Shady's picture which does
        not appear in any of the older ones in my collection. This is the
        regular-looking set of structures on the crater-wall at 12 o'clock to the
        dome. Again it could just be the natural rock formation appearing as it
        does because of the angle of the light and the angle of the camera-shot.
        But how can we tell?

        I guess it's yet another mystery that will be cleared up only when
        we can get down onto the surface of Mars and take a good look for ourselves
        from close up.

        Regards,