Times: Top Eight Presidential Encounters of the Third Kind

  • Karin Holloway
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      October 30, 2007, The Times
      http://timesonline.typepad.com/comment/american_politics/index.html
      Top Eight Presidential Encounters of the Third Kind
      Forget about healthcare. The new concern for presidential candidates? UFOs.
      Here are the top eight encounters of the Presidential kind.

      1. Dennis Kucinich has felt a connection:

      Writes Shirley Maclaine of her old friend: "He had a close sighting over my
      home in Graham, Washington, when I lived there. Dennis found his encounter
      extremely moving. The smell of roses drew him out to my balcony where, when
      he looked up, he saw a gigantic triangular craft, silent, and observing him.
      It hovered, soundless, for ten minutes or so, and sped away with a speed he
      couldn't comprehend. He said he felt a connection in his heart and heard
      directions in his mind."

      2. Rudy Giuliani has a strategy in case of an alien invasion:

      "Of all the things that can happen in this world, we'll be prepared for
      that, yes we will. We'll be prepared for anything that happens."

      3. Bill Richardson is determined to uncover the Roswell mystery:

      Answering questions at a townhall meeting Friday, a Dell employee asked
      Richardson about the 1947 incident in which many people still believe a
      flying saucer landed near the eastern New Mexico town.

      "I've been in government a long time, I've been in the cabinet, I've been in
      the Congress and I've always felt that the government doesn't tell the truth
      as much as it should on a lot of issues," said Richardson, who is governor
      of New Mexico.

      4. Ronald Reagan spotted a UFO from his plane window

      "I was in a plane last week when I looked out the window and saw this white
      light. It was zigzagging around. I went up to the pilot and said, 'Have you
      ever seen anything like that?' He was shocked and he said, 'Nope.' And I
      said to him: 'Let's follow it!' We followed it for several minutes. It was a
      bright white light. We followed it to Bakersfield, and all of a sudden to
      our utter amazement it went straight up into the heavens. When I got off the
      plane I told Nancy all about it. But we didn't file a report on the object
      because for a long time they considered you a nut if you saw a UFO."

      5. Jimmy Carter's UFO sighting prompted him to run for President

      "I don't laugh at people any more when they say they've seen UFOs", Carter
      said at a Southern Governors Conference a few years ago. "I've seen one
      myself. It was the darndest thing I've ever seen. It was big, it was very
      bright, it changed colors and it was about the size of the moon.. We watched
      it for ten minutes, but none of us could figure out what it was. One thing's
      for sure, I'll never make fun of people who say they've seen unidentified
      objects in the sky. I think it was a light beckoning me to run in the
      California primary. If I become President, I'll make every piece of
      information that this country has about UFO sightings available to the
      public."

      6. John F. Kennedy incorporated alien threat into his defence plan

      The US Airforce assures me that UFO's pose no threat to National Security.

      7. Harry S. Truman put great thought into the mechanics behind UFOs

      I can assure you that flying saucers, given that they exist, are not
      constructed by any power on earth.

      8. Gerald Ford opened up the floor for extra-terrestrial debate

      No doubt, you have noted the recent flurry of newspaper stories about
      unidentified flying objects. I have taken special interest in these accounts
      because many of the latest reported sightings have been in my home state of
      Michigan... Because I think there may be substance to some of these reports
      and because I believe the American people are entitled to a more thorough
      explanation than has been given them by the Air Force to date, I am
      proposing that either the Science and Astronautics Committee or the Armed
      Services Committee of the House schedule hearings on the subject of UFOs and
      invite testimony from both the executive branch of the Government and some
      of the persons who claim to have seen UFOs.

      Posted by Daniel Finkelstein on October 30, 2007 at 03:50 PM