The End Of Eden

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006

      The Earth isn't Dying - It's being killed. And we know the names and addresses of those responsible - Utah Phillips.

      Click the link if you can't proceed to page 2.

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/01/AR2006090101800.html

      The End of Eden James Lovelock Says This Time We've Pushed the Earth Too Far By Michael Powell
      Washington Post Staff Writer
      Saturday, September 2, 2006; Page C01 ST. GILES-ON-THE-HEATH, England

      var technorati = new Technorati() ; technorati.setProperty('url','http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/01/AR2006090101800_Technorati.html') ; technorati.article = new item('The End of Eden','http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/01/AR2006090101800.html','ST. GILES-ON-THE-HEATH, England Through a deep and tangled wood lies a glade so lovely and wet and lush as to call to mind a hobbit\'s sanctuary. A lichen-covered statue rises in a garden of native grasses, and a misting rain drips off a slate roof. At the yard\'s edge a plump muskrat waddles into...','Michael Powell') ; document.write( technorati.getDisplaySidebar() );

      Through a deep and tangled wood lies a glade so lovely and wet and lush as to call to mind a hobbit's sanctuary. A lichen-covered statue rises in a garden of native grasses, and a misting rain drips off a slate roof. At the yard's edge a plump muskrat waddles into the brush.
      "Hello!"
      A lean, white-haired gentleman in a blue wool sweater and khakis beckons you inside his whitewashed cottage. We sit beside a stone hearth as his wife, Sandy, an elegant blonde, sets out scones and tea. James Lovelock fixes his mind's eye on what's to come.
      "It's going too fast," he says softly. "We will burn."
      Why is that?
      "Our global furnace is out of control. By 2020, 2025, you will be able to sail a sailboat to the North Pole. The Amazon will become a desert, and the forests of Siberia will burn and release more methane and plagues will return."
      Sulfurous musings are not Lovelock's characteristic style; he's no Book of Revelation apocalyptic. In his 88th year, he remains one of the world's most inventive scientists, an Englishman of humor and erudition, with an oenophile's taste for delicious controversy. Four decades ago, his discovery that ozone-destroying chemicals were piling up in the atmosphere started the world's governments down a path toward repair. Not long after that, Lovelock proposed the theory known as Gaia, which holds that Earth acts like a living organism, a self-regulating system balanced to allow life to flourish.
      Biologists dismissed this as heresy, running counter to Darwin's theory of evolution. Today one could reasonably argue that Gaia theory has transformed scientific understanding of the Earth.
      Now Lovelock has turned his attention to global warming, writing "The Revenge of Gaia: Earth's Climate Crisis and the Fate of Humanity." Already a big seller in the United Kingdom, the book was released in the United States last month. (He will speak in Washington, at the Carnegie Institution, Friday at 7 p.m.) Lovelock's conclusion is straightforward.
      To wit, we are poached.

      CONTINUED 1 document.write('2') 22 document.write('3') 33 document.write('4') 44 document.write('5') 55 document.write('Next') NextNext

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006
        I like this guy but I think he suffers from the same thing many do, lack of
        an imagination. I begin to think that science should be paired with
        intuitives. Those in touch with their souls. They can supply the imagination
        for the scientists who are in touch more with the spirit. Thus by being
        forced to work with an intuitive in the material realm, as above so below,
        their spirits and souls within will work closer together... Gaia is alive,
        he was handed the answer on a silver platter yet because of what he was
        taught previously he could not see the complete answer. The ecosystem works
        together like your body works together, because it is a body... It is a life
        form different than ours but still a life form...