Study: Milky Way Is Tentacled Beast

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2006

      This article doesn't copy well so click the link to read the whole article.

      http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20060529/milkyway_spa.html

      Study: Milky Way Is Tentacled Beast
      By Larry O'Hanlon, Discovery News

      June 2, 2006 — Our galaxy is a much wilder looking tentacled beast than suspected, say astronomers who have used a new technique to map the Milky Way.

      Using data from a painstaking galaxy-wide survey of hydrogen gas clouds throughout the Milky Way, radio astronomers found that instead of being a clean, symmetrical spiral, our home galaxy has extra long arms sprouting out on one side and is warped and armless on the other.

      The odd layout could be the result of colossal cannibalistic galactic collisions or intergalactic "tides."

      Astronomer Leo Blitz of the University of California at Berkeley said the most surprising thing about the spiral arms on our half of the Milky Way "is that we could see spiral structure all the way to the edge of the (galactic) disk."