Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

11793Roswell Officer's Amazing Deathbed Admission

Expand Messages
  • William Hamilton
    Jun 30, 2007
      Source: This Is London - London, UK



      Roswell Officer's Amazing Deathbed Admission Raises Possibility
      That Aliens Did Visit

      Exactly 60 years ago, a light aircraft was flying over the
      Cascade Mountains in Washington State, at a height of around

      Suddenly, a brilliant flash of light illuminated the aircraft.
      Visibility was good and as pilot Kenneth Arnold scanned the sky
      to find the source of the light, he saw a group of nine shiny
      metallic objects flying in formation.

      He estimated their speed as being around 1,600 miles per hour -
      nearly three times faster than the top speed of any jet
      aircraft at the time. He described the craft as arrow-shaped and
      said they moved in a jerky motion - 'like a saucer would if you
      skipped it across the water'.

      A reporter seized on this phrase and in his story described the
      objects as 'flying saucers'. The age of the Unidentified Flying
      Object (UFO) had begun.

      Soon, similar reports began to come in from all over America.
      This wasn't just the world's first UFO sighting, this was the
      birth of a phenomenon, one that still exercises an extraordinary

      Then, two weeks after Arnold's sighting, something happened that
      was to lead to the biggest UFO conspiracy theory of all time. On
      or around July 2, 1947, something crashed in the desert near a
      military base at Roswell, New Mexico.

      Military authorities issued a press release, which began: "The
      many rumours regarding the flying disc became a reality
      yesterday when the intelligence officer of the 509th Bomb Group
      of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate
      enough to gain possession of a disc."

      The headlines screamed: 'Flying Disc captured by Air Force.'
      Yet, just 24 hours later, the military changed their story and
      claimed the object they'd first thought was a 'flying disc' was
      a weather balloon that had crashed on a nearby ranch.

      Amazingly, the media and the public accepted the explanation
      without question, in a way that would not happen now. Roswell
      disappeared from the news until the late Seventies, when some of
      the military involved began to speak out.

      The key witness was Major Jesse Marcel, the intelligence officer
      who had gone to the ranch to recover the wreckage. He described
      the metal as being wafer thin but incredibly tough.

      It was as light as balsa wood, but couldn't be cut or burned.
      Some witnesses described seeing strange inscriptions on the

      These and similar accounts of the incident have largely been
      dismissed by all except the most dedicated believers.

      But last week came an astonishing new twist to the Roswell
      mystery - which casts new light on the incident and raises the
      possibility that we have, indeed, been visited by aliens.

      Lieutenant Walter Haut was the public relations officer at the
      base in 1947, and was the man who issued the original and
      subsequent press releases after the crash on the orders of the
      base commander, Colonel William Blanchard.

      Haut died last year, but left a sworn affidavit to be opened
      only after his death.

      Last week, the text was released and asserts that the weather
      balloon claim was a cover story, and that the real object had
      been recovered by the military and stored in a hangar. He
      described seeing not just the craft, but alien bodies.

      He wasn't the first Roswell witness to talk about bodies. Local
      undertaker Glenn Dennis had long claimed that he was contacted
      by authorities at Roswell shortly after the crash and asked to
      provide a number of child-sized coffins.

      When he arrived at the base, he was apparently told by a nurse
      (who later disappeared) that a UFO had crashed and that small
      humanoid extraterrestrials had been recovered. But Haut is the
      only one of the original participants to claim to have seen
      alien bodies.

      Haut's affidavit talks about a high-level meeting he attended
      with base commander Col William Blanchard and the Commander of
      the Eighth Army Air Force, Gen Roger Ramey. Haut states that at
      this meeting, pieces of wreckage were handed around for
      participants to touch, with nobody able to identify the

      He says the press release was issued because locals were already
      aware of the crash site, but in fact there had been a second
      crash site, where more debris from the craft had fallen. The
      plan was that an announcement acknowledging the first site,
      which had been discovered by a rancher, would divert attention
      from the second and more important location.

      Haut also spoke about a clean-up operation, where for months
      afterwards military personnel scoured both crash sites searching
      for all remaining pieces of debris, removing them and erasing
      all signs that anything unusual had occurred.

      This ties in with claims made by locals that debris collected as
      souvenirs was seized by the military.

      Haut then tells how Colonel Blanchard took him to 'Building 84'
      - one of the hangars at Roswell - and showed him the craft
      itself. He describes a metallic egg-shaped object around 12-15ft
      in length and around 6ft wide. He said he saw no windows, wings,
      tail, landing gear or any other feature.

      He saw two bodies on the floor, partially covered by a
      tarpaulin. They are described in his statement as about 4ft
      tall, with disproportionately large heads. Towards the end of
      the affidavit, Haut concludes: "I am convinced that what I
      personally observed was some kind of craft and its crew from
      outer space."

      What's particularly interesting about Walter Haut is that in the
      many interviews he gave before his death, he played down his
      role and made no such claims. Had he been seeking publicity, he
      would surely have spoken about the craft and the bodies.

      Did he fear ridicule, or was the affidavit a sort of deathbed
      confession from someone who had been part of a cover-up, but who
      had stayed loyal to the end?

      Another military witness who claimed to know that the Roswell
      incident involved the crash of an alien spacecraft is Colonel
      Philip J. Corso, a former Pentagon official who claimed his job
      was to pass technology from the craft recovered at Roswell to
      American companies.

      He claims that discoveries such as Kevlar body armour, stealth
      technology, night vision goggles, lasers and the integrated
      circuit chip all have their roots in alien technology from the
      Roswell crash.

      Corso died of a heart attack shortly after making these claims,
      prompting a fresh round of conspiracy theories.

      As bizarre as Corso's story sounds, it has support from a number
      of unlikely sources, including former Canadian Minister of
      Defence Paul Hellyer, who spoke out recently to say that he'd
      checked the story with a senior figure in the U.S. military who
      confirmed it was true.

      The U.S. government came under huge pressure on Roswell in the
      Nineties. In July 1994, in response to an inquiry from the
      General Accounting Office, the Office of the Secretary of the
      Air Force published a report, The Roswell Report: Fact vs.
      Fiction in the New Mexico Desert.

      The report concluded that the Roswell incident had been
      attributable to something called Project Mogul, a top secret
      project using high-altitude balloons to carry sensor equipment
      into the upper atmosphere, listening for evidence of Soviet
      nuclear tests.

      The statements concerning a crashed weather balloon had been a
      cover story, they admitted, but not to hide the truth about

      A second U.S. Air Force report, The Roswell Report: Case Closed,
      was published in 1997 and focused on allegations that alien
      bodies were recovered.

      It concluded that any claims that weren't entirely fraudulent
      were generated by people having seen crash test dummies that
      were dropped from balloons from high altitude as part of Project
      High Dive - a study aimed at developing safe procedures for
      pilots or astronauts having to jump from extreme altitudes.

      These tests ran from 1954 to 1959 in New Mexico, and the U.S.
      government suggested that sightings of these dummies might have
      been the root of stories about humanoid aliens, with people
      mistaking the dates after so many years, and erroneously linking
      what they'd seen with the 1947 story of a UFO crash.

      Sceptics, of course, will dismiss the testimony left by Haut.
      After all, fascinating though it is, it's just a story. There's
      no proof. But if nothing else, this latest revelation shows
      that, 60 years on, this mystery endures.

      UFO enthusiasts plan to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the
      Roswell incident with a series of events. In Roswell itself
      there will be a conference partly sponsored by the city
      authorities. Thousands are predicted to attend. Roswell has
      become not just big news, but big business.

      Ever since Kenneth Arnold's sighting and the Roswell incident,
      UFO sightings have continued to be made around the world.

      In the UK, in 1950, the Ministry of Defence's Chief Scientific
      Adviser, Sir Henry Tizard, said UFO sightings shouldn't be
      dismissed without proper, scientific investigation.

      The MoD set up arguably the most wonderfully named body in the
      history of the Civil Service, the Flying Saucer Working Party.
      Its conclusions were sceptical.

      It believed UFO sightings were attributable to either
      misidentifications, hoaxes or delusions. Its final report, dated
      June 1951, said no further resources should be devoted to
      investigating UFOs.

      But in 1952 a high-profile series of UFO sightings occurred, in
      which objects were tracked on radar and seen by RAF pilots. The
      MoD was forced to think again and has had been investigating
      ever since. To date, the MoD has received more than 10,000

      The best-known UK incident occurred in December 1980 in
      Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk. In the early hours of December 26,
      personnel at RAF Bentwaters (a base leased to the USAF) reported
      strange lights in the forest. Thinking an aircraft had crashed,
      they went to investigate.

      What they found, witnesses say, was a UFO. They took photographs
      (which they were later told hadn't come out) of the brightly
      illuminated craft and one of the men got close enough to touch
      the object, which then took off and flew away. The stunned men
      briefed their bosses, including the deputy base commander,
      Lieutenant Colonel Charles Halt.

      Halt ordered the men to make official witness statements,
      including sketches of the craft. The following night Halt was at
      a social function when a flustered airman burst in, saluted and
      said: "Sir, it's back."

      Halt looked confused and said: "What's back?" "The UFO, Sir. The
      UFO is back," the airman replied.

      Halt and a small team went to investigate. His intention, he
      later reported, was to 'debunk this nonsense'. As they went into
      the forest, their radios began to malfunction and powerful
      mobile searchlights cut out. Suddenly, Halt and his team saw the
      UFO and attempted to get closer. At one point it was directly
      overhead, shining a bright beam of light down on them.

      After these events, Halt ordered an examination of the area
      where the UFO had been seen on the first night. Three
      indentations were found in the ground where the craft had
      landed. A Geiger counter was used and radiation readings were
      taken, which peaked in the three holes. Halt reported it to the
      MoD and an investigation began.

      This was inconclusive, but Defence Intelligence Staff assessed
      the radiation readings taken at the landing site were
      'significantly higher than the average background'. The MoD's
      case file on the incident has only recently been released under
      the Freedom of Information Act.

      Another spectacular UFO incident occurred in March 1993. Over
      six hours, around 60 witnesses in different parts of the UK
      reported a series of sightings of spectacular UFOs. Many of the
      witnesses were police officers and the UFO also flew over two
      military bases in the Midlands, RAF Cosford and RAF Shawbury.

      The Meteorological Officer at RAF Shawbury described the UFO as
      being a vast triangular-shaped craft that moved from a hover to
      a speed several times faster than an RAF jet in seconds.

      He estimated that the UFO was midway in size between a Hercules
      transport aircraft and a Boeing 747 and said that at one point
      the craft had been as low as 400ft. He also said that it had
      been firing a narrow beam of light at the ground and emitting an
      unpleasant low-frequency hum.

      The MoD investigation lasted several weeks and the case file -
      also recently released - runs to more than 100 pages.

      The final briefing submitted to the Assistant Chief of the Air
      Staff stated: "In summary, there would seem to be some evidence
      on this occasion that an unidentified object (or objects) of
      unknown origin was operating over the UK." That is about the
      most frank admission on UFOs that the MoD has ever made.

      Sixty years after Kenneth Arnold's 'flying saucer' sighting,
      pilots are still seeing UFOs. In April this year, Captain Ray
      Bowyer, a pilot based in Alderney, saw two bright yellow UFOs in
      the vicinity of the Channel Islands.

      Some of his passengers saw the same thing, another pilot in the
      area made a similar report and some unusual readings were seen
      on air traffic control radar. The MoD and the Civil Aviation
      Authority investigated the incident and no explanation has been

      Despite any number of hoaxes over the years, interest and belief
      in UFOs remains strong. Under the Freedom of Information Act,
      the MoD receives more requests relating to UFOs than on any
      other subject.

      So what is it about UFOs that continues to excite our
      imaginations? To some people, the subject has become almost a
      religion and perhaps that gets to the heart of it. Those who
      study the subject are on a quest not just for the truth, but for
      meaning. It's a search for the answer to one of the most
      fundamental questions we can ask - are we alone?

      posted on UFO Updates

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]