LAPACK eigenvalue solver bindings

  • Matthias Troyer
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi,

      Is anybody working on the LAPACK bindings for geev, syev, and heev? If
      not then I'll do some work on it this week since I need those bindings
      for one of our applications.

      Matthias
    • kyriales
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi Matthias,

        you wrote:

        > Is anybody working on the LAPACK bindings for
        > geev, syev, and heev?

        As far as I know, no.

        Toon and Karl did some work on gees, trevc
        and trexc (files are in lapack subdirectory).

        > If not then I'll do some work on it this week
        > since I need those bindings for one of our
        > applications.

        Regards,

        fres
      • Matthias Troyer
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
          On Monday, Sep 1, 2003, at 12:13 Europe/Zurich, kyriales wrote:

          > Hi Matthias,
          >
          > you wrote:
          >
          >> Is anybody working on the LAPACK bindings for
          >> geev, syev, and heev?
          >
          > As far as I know, no.
          >
          > Toon and Karl did some work on gees, trevc
          > and trexc (files are in lapack subdirectory).
          >
          >> If not then I'll do some work on it this week
          >> since I need those bindings for one of our
          >> applications.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > fres

          Hi Fres,

          Thanks, I will send you the files once they are done

          Matthias
        • Kirill Lapshin
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
            --- In ublas-dev@yahoogroups.com, Matthias Troyer <troyer@i...> wrote:
            > Is anybody working on the LAPACK bindings for geev, syev, and heev? If
            > not then I'll do some work on it this week since I need those bindings
            > for one of our applications.

            I am glad to hear that you are working on this. I will need them at
            some point for one of my projects, so writing those bindings was on my
            todo list. Thanks, Matthias!

            While we at this topic, how about SVD? Did anyone tried to/planned to
            working on SVD bindings?

            --Kirill
          • kyriales
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
              Kirill Lapshin wrote:

              [...]
              > While we at this topic, how about SVD? Did anyone
              > tried to/planned to working on SVD bindings?

              Currently on my TODO list, but not at the top.
              First I'll try to complete ATLAS bindings and
              linear solvers in LAPACK (e.g. banded systems).

              fres
            • groenewoudse
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
                Hi Mattias,

                I just joined the list and I am interested in these ZGEEV and ZHEEV
                bindings. I could not find them in the bindings_2003_09_11.zip
                under "Files". Did you already implement these bindings?
                Is it possible to obtain them from you?

                Thanks a lot ,

                Andreas

                ----- Mattias wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > Is anybody working on the LAPACK bindings for geev, syev, and
                heev? If
                > not then I'll do some work on it this week since I need those
                bindings
                > for one of our applications.
                >
                > Matthias
              • Matthias Troyer
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
                  Hi Andreas,

                  I am still working on other porting problems of our applications and
                  did thus not find the time to finish testing and documentation of the
                  bindings for the syev and heev routines that I need most often, and
                  thus kept the additional files with our ALPS project sources
                  (httP://alps.comp-phys.org/). I have attached them to this mail for
                  your or anybody else's use. I will not be able to bring them into shape
                  for a ublas submission this year because I'm busy preparing a new
                  course on high performance computing in C++, and that takes up all my
                  spare time.

                  Best regards

                  Matthias

                  On Oct 31, 2003, at 3:44 PM, groenewoudse wrote:

                  > Hi Mattias,
                  >
                  > I just joined the list and I am interested in these ZGEEV and ZHEEV
                  > bindings. I could not find them in the bindings_2003_09_11.zip
                  > under "Files". Did you already implement these bindings?
                  > Is it possible to obtain them from you?
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot ,

                  > Andreas

                • Karl Meerbergen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2003
                    Matthias Troyer wrote:

                    >Hi Andreas,
                    >
                    >I am still working on other porting problems of our applications and
                    >did thus not find the time to finish testing and documentation of the
                    >bindings for the syev and heev routines that I need most often, and
                    >thus kept the additional files with our ALPS project sources
                    >(httP://alps.comp-phys.org/). I have attached them to this mail for
                    >your or anybody else's use. I will not be able to bring them into shape
                    >for a ublas submission this year because I'm busy preparing a new
                    >course on high performance computing in C++, and that takes up all my
                    >spare time.
                    >
                    >Best regards
                    >
                    >Matthias
                    >
                    >On Oct 31, 2003, at 3:44 PM, groenewoudse wrote:
                    >

                    >>Hi Mattias,
                    >>
                    >>I just joined the list and I am interested in these ZGEEV and ZHEEV
                    >>bindings. I could not find them in the bindings_2003_09_11.zip
                    >>under "Files". Did you already implement these bindings?
                    >>Is it possible to obtain them from you?
                    >>
                    >>Thanks a lot ,
                    >>

                    >>Andreas

                    Hi Mattias,

                    I am also working on blas and lapack bindings.
                    I was wondering how you handle workspace.
                    I have written bindings for gees, steqr and a few other specialized
                    routines that I need.
                    In order to properly handle workspace I use an extra argument whose type
                    decides how the workspace is allocated:
                    for example:
                    gees( a, e, vs, optimal_workspace() ) allocates memory dynamically with
                    the optimal size
                    gees( a, e, vs, minimal_workspace() ) allocates memory dynamically with
                    the minimal size
                    gees( a, e, vs, workspace( work ) ) uses the array work for the real case
                    gees( a, e, vs, workspace( work, rwork ) ) uses the arrays work and
                    rwork for the complex case.

                    We should have a discussion on standardization of the bindings. I also
                    discussed this with Kresimir.

                    Best,

                    Karl
                  • groenewoudse
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
                      Hi Mattias,

                      thanks a lot for your files, I will have a look at them and will try
                      to do my first steps with ublas. Until now I have been using a
                      quite old version of the TNT in combination with Fortran lapack.

                      All the best,

                      Andreas

                      ----- Matthias wrote:
                      > Hi Andreas,
                      >
                      > I am still working on other porting problems of our applications
                      and
                      > did thus not find the time to finish testing and documentation of
                      the
                      > bindings for the syev and heev routines that I need most often,
                      and
                      > thus kept the additional files with our ALPS project sources
                      > (httP://alps.comp-phys.org/). I have attached them to this mail for
                      > your or anybody else's use. I will not be able to bring them into
                      shape
                      > for a ublas submission this year because I'm busy preparing a
                      new
                      > course on high performance computing in C++, and that takes up
                      all my
                      > spare time.
                      >
                      > Best regards
                      >
                      > Matthias
                    • Karl Meerbergen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 20, 2004
                        Hi,

                        Suppose I have a number of sparse matrices with the same sparsity
                        pattern. Is there an easy way to share the pattern data among these
                        matrices without duplication? This situation occurs in some finite
                        element problems and also in some preconditioners. The major motivation
                        is to save memory.

                        Thanks,

                        Karl
                      • Michael Stevens
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 20, 2004
                          Hi Karl,

                          > Suppose I have a number of sparse matrices with the same sparsity
                          > pattern. Is there an easy way to share the pattern data among these
                          > matrices without duplication? This situation occurs in some finite
                          > element problems and also in some preconditioners. The major motivation
                          > is to save memory.

                          This seems to be a farily common requirement. I think I am correct in
                          saying there is no direct support in uBLAS.

                          It may be possible to reuse a lot of the existing storage code for the
                          coordinate and compressed matrices to get the desired effect. It would
                          be interesting if anyone else has looked at implmenting this.
                          --
                          Michael
                        • Peter Schmitteckert
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
                            Dear Karl,

                            On 20 Jan 2004, Karl Meerbergen wrote:

                            > Suppose I have a number of sparse matrices with the same sparsity
                            > pattern. Is there an easy way to share the pattern data among these
                            > matrices without duplication? This situation occurs in some finite
                            > element problems and also in some preconditioners. The major motivation
                            > is to save memory.

                            In my application I have the same problem.
                            What I did, is to create my own matrix class which
                            contails a list of pointers to matrices and an additional
                            prefactor, e.g.

                            class TpEntry
                            {
                            double Scalar;
                            TpMatrix* pMAtrix;
                            }

                            class MyMatrix
                            {

                            list<TpEntry> lstMatrices;
                            // ...
                            }

                            In MyMatrix I dispatch all the work I have to
                            do in loops over the matrix-list, e.g.

                            for( list<TpEntry>::iterator = ... )
                            it->Scalar * (* it->pMatrix) * ....

                            The actual Matrices are stored outside the class.

                            Im principle this is just a decomposition of my matrix
                            in a sum of building matrices.

                            However, my implementation has to deal with a more
                            complicated layout which is special to my problem.
                            Therefore I have not attempted to make my code
                            usable for ublas.

                            Best wishes,
                            Peter