Re: [ublas-dev] new mailing list

  • Toon Knapen
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2004
      Michael Stevens wrote:
      > Toon,
      >
      >>Indiana university is willing to host the uBLAS mailinglist in the
      >>future (just like the currently host the boost-ml too). Now we also need
      >>a list-owner or administrators for the ml. Any volunteers ?
      >
      > Sure count me in. I think we need at least 3 people.

      Gunther already offered to do it and I thus proposed myself as being the
      backup to the sys admin at IU. I will contact him and ask if he can add
      you too.

    • Gunter Winkler
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 10, 2004
        Hello,

        after the recent administration difficulties of this list we decided to start
        a new one. I collected some email adresses of active posters of the last few
        weeks and send them an invitation to the new list. Further I invite all
        members of this list to subsribe to ublas@... at

        in order to keep in touch with ublas developement or in order to get general
        help on the usage of ublas. If you experience any difficulties to join the
        new list, feel free to contact me.

        The list on yahoo should still be read but I suggest to send or cc all replies
        to ublas@....

        regards
        Gunter
      • Angus Leeming
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004
          Gunter Winkler wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > after the recent administration difficulties of this list we decided to
          > start a new one. I collected some email adresses of active posters of the
          > last few weeks and send them an invitation to the new list. Further I
          > invite all members of this list to subsribe to ublas@... at

          > in order to keep in touch with ublas developement or in order to get
          > general help on the usage of ublas. If you experience any difficulties to
          > join the new list, feel free to contact me.
          >
          > The list on yahoo should still be read but I suggest to send or cc all
          > replies to ublas@....

          And what will the gmane name be?

          Angus
        • David Abrahams
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
            Angus Leeming wrote:
            > Gunter Winkler wrote:
            >

            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> after the recent administration difficulties of this list we decided to
            >> start a new one. I collected some email adresses of active posters of the
            >> last few weeks and send them an invitation to the new list. Further I
            >> invite all members of this list to subsribe to ublas@... at

            >> in order to keep in touch with ublas developement or in order to get
            >> general help on the usage of ublas. If you experience any difficulties to
            >> join the new list, feel free to contact me.
            >>
            >> The list on yahoo should still be read but I suggest to send or cc all
            >> replies to ublas@....
            >
            > And what will the gmane name be?

            You should ask Lars to just move the existing newsgroup to the new list.

            --
            Dave Abrahams
            Boost Consulting
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
              David Abrahams wrote:
              >>> The list on yahoo should still be read but I suggest to send or cc all
              >>> replies to ublas@....
              >>
              >> And what will the gmane name be?
              >
              > You should ask Lars to just move the existing newsgroup to the new list.

              That would be better coming from one of the maintainers of the new list.

              Regards,
              Angus
            • Toon Knapen
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                Angus Leeming wrote:

                >>>And what will the gmane name be?
                >>
                >>You should ask Lars to just move the existing newsgroup to the new list.
                >

                > That would be better coming from one of the maintainers of the new list.

                FYI, the list administrator is Gunther Winkler with Michael Stevens and
                myself as backup. If you can let Gunther or me know who we need to
                contact exactly (and his email address) then we will take care of it.

                (Maybe it's best to send Lars' email address via private mail)

                toon
              • Angus Leeming
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                  Toon Knapen wrote:
                  >> That would be better coming from one of the maintainers of the new list.

                  > FYI, the list administrator is Gunther Winkler with Michael Stevens and
                  > myself as backup. If you can let Gunther or me know who we need to
                  > contact exactly (and his email address) then we will take care of it.
                  >
                  > (Maybe it's best to send Lars' email address via private mail)

                  Hi, Toon.

                  His contact details are to be found here: http://gmane.org/contact.php, so
                  I don't think he's too worried about spambots finding it. I repeat it
                  below, although you should replace -AT-...

                  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi+gmane -AT- gnus.org>

                  I'd say a simple mail would suffice saying that the mailing list has
                  changed but that the gmane interface should remian as is.

                  Regards,
                  Angus
                • Toon Knapen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                    > Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi+gmane -AT- gnus.org>
                    >
                    > I'd say a simple mail would suffice saying that the mailing list has
                    > changed but that the gmane interface should remian as is.

                    Done
                  • David Abrahams
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                      Angus Leeming wrote:

                      >>> And what will the gmane name be?
                      >>
                      >> You should ask Lars to just move the existing newsgroup to the new list.
                      >
                      > That would be better coming from one of the maintainers of the new list.

                      There's no need to make work for people who are already doing this as
                      volunteers. Lars accepts requests from anyone.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                        David Abrahams wrote:

                        >>> You should ask Lars to just move the existing newsgroup to the new
                        >>> list.
                        >>
                        >> That would be better coming from one of the maintainers of the new list.
                        >
                        > There's no need to make work for people who are already doing this as
                        > volunteers. Lars accepts requests from anyone.

                        That wasn't my intention.

                        What I meant was that the gmane interface exists already. If some random
                        Joe pops up and says, "Please redirect the existing list to /dev/null and
                        replace it with my new list", then I'd certainly treat the request with
                        suspicion. A request from someone connected with the lists would carry
                        more credence.

                        Regards,
                        Angus
                      • David Abrahams
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                          Angus Leeming wrote:

                          >>> That would be better coming from one of the maintainers of the new list.
                          >>
                          >> There's no need to make work for people who are already doing this as
                          >> volunteers. Lars accepts requests from anyone.
                          >
                          > That wasn't my intention.
                          >
                          > What I meant was that the gmane interface exists already. If some random
                          > Joe pops up and says, "Please redirect the existing list to /dev/null and
                          > replace it with my new list", then I'd certainly treat the request with
                          > suspicion. A request from someone connected with the lists would carry
                          > more credence.

                          We can either go back and forth about what Lars is likely to believe, or
                          you can just make the request and see what happens. You could point him
                          at the announcement if you're worried.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                            David Abrahams wrote:

                            > We can either go back and forth about what Lars is likely to believe, or
                            > you can just make the request and see what happens. You could point him
                            > at the announcement if you're worried.

                            As I already posted, I have contacted Lars. And in the mean time he
                            acknowledge that the necessary actions were taken by him.