Typhoon CHAN-HOM (EMONG) makes landfall... [Update #003]

  • Typhoon2000.com (Michael Padua)
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2009

      Typhoon2000 STORM UPDATE #003
      Name: TYPHOON CHAN-HOM [EMONG/02W/0902]
      Issued: 1:00 AM MANILA TIME (17:00 GMT) FRI 08 MAY 2009
      Source: US JTWC WARNING #017/T2K XTRAPOLATION
      Note: Kindly refer to your country's official warnings or bulletins. This update is for supplemental information purposes only.

      TYPHOON CHAN-HOM (EMONG) RAPIDLY ACCELERATED AND MADE LANDFALL EARLIER
      THAN EXPECTED OVER LA UNION...QUICKLY LOSING STRENGTH AS IT TRAVERSES
      CORDILLERA MOUNTAINS...NOW OFF IFUGAO.

      *Residents and visitors along Isabela and Cagayan should closely monitor the progress of CHAN-HOM.

      + FORECAST OUTLOOK: CHAN-HOM is expected to move into Isabela province
      after midnight...and shall move out into the Philippine Sea, exiting
      via Palanan Bay, Isabela this Friday morning. It shall gradually weaken
      into a weak Tropical Storm.

      + EFFECTS: CHAN-HOM's disorganized circulation currently crossing the
      Cordilleras...Its rainbands will continue to spread rains and winds
      across Northern & Central Luzon...Outer bands continues to spread
      across the whole of Luzon including Metro Manila and Bicol Region..
      expected to bring moderate to heavy rains with winds & squalls plus
      thunderstorms. 1-day rainfall accumulations of 100 up to 200 mm can
      be along the storm's rain bands...with isolated accumulations of up
      to 300 mm near the center of CHAN-HOM. Residents in low-lying areas
      & steep slopes must remain alert & seek evacuation for possible life-
      threatening flash floods, mudslides & landslides due to the anticipated
      heavy rains brought about by this system. Precautionary measures must
      be initiated if necessary.

      + CURRENT MONSOON INTENSITY: Southwest (NE) Monsoon temporarily
      enhanced by CHAN-HOM continues to affect Western Visayas and Palawan
      tonight, as the system moves crosses Northern Luzon. Cloudy skies with
      possible passing drizzle to occasional rains and thunderstorms/squalls
      w/ SW'ly winds not exceeding 50 km/hr is possible on these areas begi-
      nning today until Saturday. Possible landslides, mudslides, mudflows
      (lahars) and life-threatening flash floods are likely to occur along
      steep mountain/volcanic slopes, river banks, low-lying & flood-prone
      areas of the affected areas. Meanwhile, I.T.C.Z (aka. Monsoon Trough)
      affecting parts of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. It shall bring wide-
      spread scattered rains and thunderstorms - most especially in the
      afternoon or evening.

      Important Note: Please keep in mind that the above forecast outlook,
      effects & current monsoon intensity, and tropical cyclone watch changes
      every 06 to 12 hours!

      TIME/DATE: 12:00 AM MANILA TIME (16:00 GMT) FRI 08 MAY 2009
      LOCATION OF CENTER: LATITUDE 17.0º N...LONGITUDE 121.3º
      DISTANCE 1: OVER IFUGAO-MT. PROVINCE BORDER

      DISTANCE 2: 80 KM (43 NM) SW OF TUGUEGARAO CITY, PH
      DISTANCE 3: 100 KM (55 NM) NE OF BAGUIO CITY, PH
      DISTANCE 4: 155 KM (83 NM) NE OF DAGUPAN CITY, PH
      DISTANCE 5: 115 KM (63 NM) SE OF VIGAN CITY, PH
      DISTANCE 6: 125 KM (67 NM) NW OF CASIGURAN, AURORA, PH
      DISTANCE 7: 280 KM (150 NM) NORTH OF MANILA, PH
      MAX WINDS [1-MIN AVG]: 120 KM/HR (65 KTS) NEAR THE CENTER
      PEAK WIND GUSTS: 150 KM/HR (80 KTS)
      SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE:
      CATEGORY ONE (1)
      COASTAL STORM SURGE HEIGHT: 0 FEET (0 METERS)
      MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE (est.): 974 MILLIBARS (hPa)
      RECENT MOVEMENT: ENE @ 24 KM/HR (13 KTS)
      GENERAL DIRECTION: ISABELA-CAGAYAN
      STORM'S SIZE (IN DIAMETER): 665 KM (360 NM)/
      AVG/LARGE
      MAX WAVE HEIGHT**: 18 FEET (5.4 METERS)
      VIEW T2K TRACKMAP (FOR PUBLIC): 8 PM PST THU MAY 07
      VIEW JTWC TRACKMAP (FOR SHIPPING): 12Z THU MAY 07

      TSR WIND PROBABILITIESCURRENT TO 36 HRS LEAD

      PHILIPPINE STORM SIGNALS*:
      #03 - PANGASINAN, NORTHERN ZAMBALES, TARLAC, NUEVA VIZCAYA, BENGUET,
            LA UNION, ILOCOS PROVINCES, IFUGAO, MT. PROVINCE, KALINGA,
            APAYAO, AND ABRA.
      #02 - REST OF ZAMBALES, PAMPANGA, NUEVA ECIJA, QUIRINO, ISABELA,
            CAGAYAN, BABUYAN AND BATANES.

      #01 - METRO MANILA, LUBANG ISLAND, BATAAN, BULACAN, CAVITE, RIZAL,
            NORTHERN QUEZON, AND AURORA.

      12 & 24 HR. FORECAST
      :
      8 AM (00 GMT) 08 MAY: 17.0N 121.4E / 95-120 KPH / NE @ 15 KPH
      8 PM (12 GMT) 08 MAY: 17.7N 122.8E / 65-85 KPH / NE @ 15 KPH

      REMARKS: 8 PM (12 GMT) 07 MAY POSITION: 16.5N 120.2E.
      ^...(more)

      >> color=#000080>CHAN-HOM, meaning: A kind of treeName contributed by: Lao PDR.

      PAGASA CURRENT POSITION, MOVEMENT AND INTENSITY (10-min. ave.):

      > 10 PM (14 GMT) 07 MAY: 16.7N 120.4E / NE @ 19 KPH / 150 kph

      :: For the complete PAGASA bulletin, kindly visit their website at:

      http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/tcupdate.shtml

      RECENT T2K TRACKING CHART:

      RECENT MTSAT-1R SATELLITE IMAGE:

      > Image source:  NOAA SATELLITE CENTER

      RECENT WUNDERGROUND SATELLITE ANIMATION
      :

      > Image source:  Wunderground.com (http://www.wunderground.com/)

      NOTES:

        ^ - JTWC commentary remarks (for Meteorologists) from their
            latest warning.

        * - Based on PAGASA's Philippine Storm Warning Signals,
            # 4 being the highest. For more explanations on these
            signals, visit:
      http://www.typhoon2000.ph/signals.htm

       ** - Based on the Tropical Cyclone's Wave Height near
            its center.

      To know the meteorological terminologies and acronyms
         used on this update visit the ff:

          http://typhoon2000.ph/tcterm.htm
          http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml
          http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/severewx/glossary.php