TS JANGMI (OFEL) weakened rapidly... [Update #009]

  • Typhoon2000.ph (Michael V. Padua)
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2008

      Typhoon2000 STORM UPDATE #009
      Name: TROPICAL STORM JANGMI [OFEL/19W/0815]
      Issued: 1:00 PM MANILA TIME (05:00 GMT) MON 29 SEPTEMBER 2008
      Source: JOINT TYPHOON WARNING CENTER (JTWC) TC WARNING #022
      Note: Kindly refer to your country's official warnings or bulletins. This update is for additional information purposes only.

      JANGMI (OFEL) HAS RAPIDLY WEAKENED INTO A TROPICAL STORM...NOW OFF THE
      NORTHERN COAST OF TAIWAN.

      *Interests along Fujian Province of China should closely monitor the progress of JANGMI (OFEL).

      + FORECAST OUTLOOK: JANGMI is expected to begin recurving towards the
      North to NNE later today & shall accelerate ENE-ward tomorrow across
      the cooler waters of the East China Sea...becoming an Extratropical
      Cyclone while passing to the south of Kyushu, Japan on October 1st.

      + EFFECTS: JANGMI's main circulation remains over Taiwan...heavy rains
      and strong winds to continue over the area today...outer bands affecting
      coastal areas of SE China and Extreme Northern Luzon...Passing moderate
      to heavy squalls associated with its outer bands...with gusts not in
      excess of 75 kph...with higher winds along the inner bands can be expec-
      ed. 1-day rainfall accumulations of 200 up to 400 mm is possible along
      the inner bands...with isolated accumulations of 500 mm near the center
      of JANGMI espcially along the mountain slopes of Northern and Central
      Taiwan. Residents in low-lying areas & steep slopes must remain alert
      & seek evacuation for possible life-threatening flash floods & land-
      lides due to the anticipated heavy rains brought about by this system.
      Precautionary measures must be initiated if necessary. Possible coastal
      Storm Surge flooding of up to 3 feet above normal tide levels...accompa-
      ied by large and dangerous battering waves...is possible near the center
      of JANGMI. Minimal damage is possible on this type of storm surge. Danger
      from Rip Currents or Rip Tides can be also be expected along the beach-
      front areas of Extreme Northern Luzon, Batanes-Calayan-Babuyan Group and
      along the beach front areas of Southeastern China...with possible far-
      fetched storm surge is possible along coastal areas of Eastern Luzon
      with surf reaching 1 to 3 feet at most.

      + CURRENT MONSOON INTENSITY: Light to moderate Southwest (SW) Monsoon
      continues to be enhanced by Typhoon JANGMI (OFEL) across Western Luzon.
      Partly Cloudy to Cloudy skies with possible light to moderate passing
      rains w/ at times heavy downpour & strong SW'ly winds not exceeding
      55 km/hr can be expected
      .

      Important Note: Please keep in mind that the above forecast outlook,
      effects & current monsoon intensity, and tropical cyclone watch changes
      every 06 to 12 hours!

      TIME/DATE: 11:00 AM MANILA TIME (03:00 GMT) MON 29 SEP 2008
      LOCATION OF CENTER: LATITUDE 25.9º N...LONGITUDE 121.2º
      DISTANCE 1: 110 KM (60
      NM) NNW OF TAIPEI, TAIWAN
      DISTANCE 2: 190 KM (103 NM) EAST OF FUZHOU CITY, CHINA
      DISTANCE 3: 680 KM (367 NM) WSW OF OKINAWA, JAPAN
      MAX WINDS [1-MIN AVG]: 110 KM/HR (60 KTS) NEAR THE CENTER
      PEAK WIND GUSTS: 140 KM/HR (75 KTS)
      SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE:
      TROPICAL STORM
      COASTAL STORM SURGE HEIGHT: 0-3 FEET (0-0.9 METERS)
      MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE (est.): 978 MILLIBARS (hPa)
      RECENT MOVEMENT: NNW @ 17 KM/HR (09 KTS)
      GENERAL DIRECTION: EAST CHINA SEA
      STORM'S SIZE (IN DIAMETER): 590 KM (320 NM)/
      AVERAGE
      MAX WAVE HEIGHT**: 28 FEET (8.5 METERS)
      VIEW TRACKING MAP:
      8 AM MANILA TIME MON SEP 29
      TSR WIND PROBABILITIESCURRENT TO 96 HRS LEAD
      PHILIPPINE STORM SIGNALS*: Now lowered.

      12, 24, 48 & 72 HR. FORECAST:
      8 PM (12 GMT) 29 SEPTEMBER: 27.0N 121.7E / 110-140 KPH / NE @ 19 KPH
      8 AM (00 GMT) 30 SEPTEMBER: 28.4N 123.3E / 110-140 KPH / NE @ 24 KPH
      8 AM (00 GMT) 01 OCTOBER: 30.4N 129.4E / 85-100 KPH / ENE @ 33 KPH
      8 AM (00 GMT) 02 OCTOBER: 31.9N 137.4E / 65-85 KPH / ENE @ 37 KPH

      REMARKS: 8 AM (00 GMT) 29 SEPTEMBER POSITION: 25.6N 121.0E.
      ^TROPICAL STORM (TS) JANGMI HAS CONTINUED TO WEAKEN RAPIDLY OVER
      THE PAST 12 HOURS OVER NORTHERN TAIWAN AND HAS ONLY RECENTLY TRACKED
      BACK OVER WATER. THE SYSTEM HAS TRACKED GENERALLY NORTHWARD DURING
      THE PAST 12 HOURS AFTER A PERIOD OF ERRATIC MOVEMENT, AND HAS
      ACCELERATED NORTH-NORTHWESTWARD AT 09 KNOTS OVER THE PAST 06 HOURS.
      THE MODELS HAVE REMAINED IN GOOD AGREEMENT THROUGH TAU 36 AND
      CONTINUE TO DIVERGE AFTER THIS TIME WHILE REMAINING IN FAIR
      AGREEMENT
      (more)

      >> color=#000080>JANGMI, meaning: RoseName contributed by: Republic of Korea.

      PAGASA FINAL POSITION, MOVEMENT AND INTENSITY (10-min. ave.):
      > 10 AM (02 GMT) 29 SEPTEMBER: 25.8N 121.3E / NNE @ 15 KPH / 95 kph

      :: For the complete PAGASA bulletin, kindly visit their website at:

      http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/tcupdate.shtml

      RECENT WUNDERGROUND TRACKING CHART:

      RECENT MTSAT-1R SATELLITE IMAGE:

      > Image source:  NOAA Satellite Service (http://www.noaa.gov/)

      NOTES:

        ^ - JTWC commentary remarks (for Meteorologists) from their
            latest warning.

        * - Based on PAGASA's Philippine Storm Warning Signals,
            # 4 being the highest. For more explanations on these
            signals, visit:
      http://www.typhoon2000.ph/signals.htm

       ** - Based on the Tropical Cyclone's Wave Height near
            its center.

      To know the meteorological terminologies and acronyms
         used on this update visit the ff:

          http://typhoon2000.ph/tcterm.htm
          http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml
          http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/severewx/glossary.php