Minnie Royal and Royal Lee Cherry

  • jujubetexas
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2010
      I know we touched on these two cherries last year. Did anyone get a crop? Does anyone have one in the ground for 3-4 years? Do you have it in full sun or partial shade. Please list your zone and location if you answer.

      lee in san marcos
      8b
    • Lee Wallace
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 14, 2010
        I would also like to know anyone that has had failure with these trees.

        lee

        I know we touched on these two cherries last year. Did anyone get a crop? Does anyone have one in the ground for 3-4 years? Do you have it in full sun or partial shade. Please list your zone and location if you answer.

        lee in san marcos
        8b

      • Ling
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 15, 2010
          Lee, I used to do T bud and also chip bud. There is no way to get to just the green layer. Even if you did, the bud insertion will probably scrape it off. The success rate is lower than bark or cleft for me at least.

          Regards -Ling

          --- In txrarefruitgrowers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wallace" <lwallace@...> wrote:

          > I would also like to know anyone that has had failure with these trees.
          >
          > lee
          >
          > _____

        • Rick Matt
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 15, 2010
            I planted both varieties plus Lapins about 4 years ago.  I now have about 30 cherries; Lapins on colt, Royal Lee on Mizzard and Mahaleb,  Minnie Royal on Mizzard,  Mahaleb and Zee Stem.  We had our 1st cherry this year.  It was not a good cherry, small w/o taste.  It looked like the skin from the  seed came off in the little cherry flesh and it was not appealing.  All the cherries are planted high with an automatic micro-jet sprayer that comes on twice per week for 3 hours.  The cherries are planted in full sun  but there is some shade from large pine trees near by.
            I spoke to LeeAnn, Dave Wilson Nursery, and she felt the trees were young to sent fruit and to wait a couple more years.  I will.

            I'm located 30 miles NW of Houston, close to Cypress Texas.  Rick

            Click here to Subscribe to our Newsletter

             Matt Family Orchard
            21110 Bauer Hockley Road
            Tomball, Texas 77377-5767

            281 351-7676 Fruit Hot Line

            www.mattfamilyorchard.com

            Rick Matt
            281 467-9758 Cell

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 15, 2010
              Have you tried any of the named varieties of Capulin Cherry?
              They are only hardy to 19 degrees but I hear that some are decent tasting. I talked to Bill Scheider a while back and he bought one from The Great Outdoors in Austin and said the taste was excellent. It was only about 2.5 tall in a 3 gallon pot and produced a crop the first year.

              lee

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 15, 2010
                  I planted a 4 foot one in the ground this spring but it hasnt produce. Bill still has his in a 3 gallon pot and it did produce. He purchased it this spring. We were planning on swapping winter hardiness stories but it looks like it might be pretty mild this winter.

                  lee

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 16, 2010
                    I think the best thing that could happen for Cherries in Texas would be a nice cross from a low chill cherry to the no-chill Capulin cherry. If I get fruit and flowers next year, I will purchase a Royal Lee and Minnie Royal and keep them potted in 25 gallons. That way I can move them to the cooler areas of the yard during the hottest days of summer and then move them back to the Capulin in the spring.

                    This should accomplish two things. Hopefully it will give us a Capulin Cherry that is hardy down to 5 degrees or so and possibly give tame down the taste of the Capulin. I figure if I plant a few hundred, I might get a good cross.

                    HA!

                    Just wondering, has there ever been a cross of a Cherry and Peach?

                    lee in san marcos 8b

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 16, 2010
                      Nevermind.

                      lee

[...]

                    • Edward Self
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 16, 2010
                        I planted the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee cherries this past spring. I am waiting to see how they perform. I am growing them in full sun. They really grew well through the summer. Now I am waiting to see if they go dormant!

                        Thanks,

                        Ed Self
                        Katy, Texas

                      • edwardsrichard@ymail.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 17, 2010
                          I planted a Capulin Cherry from seed about 7 years ago, it's fifteen feet in height sets berries every year but birds eat the berry before they can mature. This tree located at Hillcroft at Fuqua Missouri City area. Also at my home in Hobby airport area I have five Royal Lee and five Minnie Royal Cherry trees in pots , six to eight feet tall partial shade and some in full sun, for the past three years they sets flower, but no berries.
                          Spider mites are a problem every year; other fruit trees are not affected. Anybody has a good formula for spider mites?

                          Richard

                        • edwardsrichard@ymail.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 17, 2010

                          • bcphotographic@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 12, 2011
                              Ed,

                              I picked up these two varieties this year at the Fort Bend Master Gardeners fruit tree sale today. How are yours doing? What, if any, soil improvements did you make?

                              --- In txrarefruitgrowers@yahoogroups.com, Edward Self <txrarefruitgrowers@...> wrote:

                              > I planted the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee cherries this past spring. I am waiting
                              > to see how they perform. I am growing them in full sun. They really grew well
                              > through the summer. Now I am waiting to see if they go dormant!
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Ed Self
                              > Katy, Texas
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • gdbackpacker
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 13, 2011
                                i got these too. i plan on keeping them in pots for a while. since they need each other is there any reason why i could not graft them onto each other? to me it just makes more since to have the required pollinator on the same tree.

                                --- In txrarefruitgrowers@yahoogroups.com, "bcphotographic@..." <bcphotographic@...> wrote:

                                > Ed,
                                >
                                > I picked up these two varieties this year at the Fort Bend Master Gardeners fruit tree sale today. How are yours doing? What, if any, soil improvements did you make?
                                >

                                > --- In txrarefruitgrowers@yahoogroups.com, Edward Self <txrarefruitgrowers@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I planted the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee cherries this past spring. I am waiting
                                > > to see how they perform. I am growing them in full sun. They really grew well
                                > > through the summer. Now I am waiting to see if they go dormant!
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > >
                                > > Ed Self
                                > > Katy, Texas

                              • Edward Self
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 15, 2011
                                  My Minnie Royal and Royal Lee Cherries look great! I did not improve the soil or do anything special. I planted them in an area that drains well. I mulched both of them with some pine bark nuggets. They finally dropped all of their leaves after this last cold blast! Now I am waiting to see if I get any blooms and cherries this year!

                                  I think it should be fine to graft both varieties on the same tree.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Ed
                                  Katy, TX