Feature request

  • mbanditt
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hi Michel

      I'd like to request a new feature for twinkle 0.6: Initiating calls
      via shell command.

      Background is: I'm using Kontact and are playing around with twinkle
      integration. Kontact is able to initiate a configurable shell command
      when a phone number is clicked on. So, this could be e.g. "twinkle
      --call <number>".

      I'm not yet sure whether twinkle should directly initiate the call
      using the default user or still show the dialog with the user and the
      phone number to call.

      Another issue is that twinkle should not start a new instance of
      itself when called like this, only if it is not running yet. That
      behaviour is similar to what firefox does when called with an URL:
      When it is already running, it simply opens the new URL according to
      user setting (e.g. in a new tab).

      I think this would be great for integration.

      Thanks,

      Michael
    • joerg.greoj
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2006
        --- In twinklephone@yahoogroups.com, "mbanditt" <auslands-kv@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Michel
        >
        > I'd like to request a new feature for twinkle 0.6: Initiating
        calls
        > via shell command.

        is on Michels ToDo list (i guess relatively near to top), but not to
        come with 0.6 i've been told.
        anyway, there allready is some kind of commandline-interface. But
        not the kind you described. Esp. the running-instance-issue prevents
        using it for a mime-type binding.

        jOERG
      • Michel de Boer
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2006
          Hi Michael,

          Yes, this would be very useful. I will try to get it into 0.6

          Cheers,
          Michel

          --
          Michel de Boer
          www.twinklephone.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 16, 2006
            Hi everyone

            First post on this list, and it's a feature request :)
            First of all, thanks a lot for Twinkle...I struggled a lot through SIP
            solutions for Linux/KDE (Kphone, KCall...even Ekiga that's for Gnome) and
            when my hope was almost lost, I found this great piece of software! The KDE
            Addressbook integration is simply amazing!

            Now, always talking about integration, what about a better KDE notification
            systeem? I mean, obviously if Twinkle is compiled with KDE support, why not
            use KNotify infrastructure to notify incoming calls? Currently, a part from
            ringing, the only way to notice an incoming call on the screen with Twinkle
            minimized is to pay a *lot* of attention to the system tray icon...and that's
            all. It would be fantastic if a non intrusive dialog pops-up (a la Kopete,
            for instance), where you can easily accept or reject the call.

            TIA and kudos for the fantastic program!

            --
            Davide Ferrari
          • Michel de Boer
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
              I'll write KNotify on my nice-things-to-have list for
              some future version. Can you actually accept/reject
              something via KNotify? I thought it was notification
              only (no feedback to the application).

              As a work around you could use the scripting functionality
              of Twinkle and interface to KNotify via a script on incoming
              calls.

              /Michel

              --
              Michel de Boer
              www.twinklephone.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                Alle 15:30, lunedì 17 aprile 2006, Michel de Boer ha scritto:
                > I'll write KNotify on my nice-things-to-have list for
                > some future version. Can you actually accept/reject
                > something via KNotify? I thought it was notification
                > only (no feedback to the application).

                Mmmh, probably Kopete is using something personalized (do you know the yellow
                bubble that pops up on an incoming message that I mean?) but anyway a simple
                KNotify dialog already would be a nice improvement.

                > As a work around you could use the scripting functionality
                > of Twinkle and interface to KNotify via a script on incoming
                > calls.

                Yeah, I was thinking about that...I'll try to see if I'm able to create
                something like that with a script and some dcop magic...if I get something
                usefull I'll submit it here.

                --
                Davide Ferrari

                --
                Davide Ferrari
              • joerg.greoj
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                  --- In twinklephone@yahoogroups.com, Davide Ferrari <vide80@...>
                  wrote:
                  > > As a work around you could use the scripting functionality
                  > > of Twinkle and interface to KNotify via a script on incoming
                  > > calls.
                  >
                  > Yeah, I was thinking about that...I'll try to see if I'm able to
                  > create something like that with a script and some dcop magic...if
                  > I get something usefull I'll submit it here.

                  i've tried a lot to bring twinkle window up from system task bar,
                  alas found no way, not with kdcop nor with khotkeys. :(
                  even khotkeys at least needs a minimized window. this given, you can
                  tweak your NumericKey block to popup twinkle when non-numlocked key
                  is pressed and do some magic. this comes handy cause it works
                  independent from screen-warmup, mouse-action and state of windows
                  like e.g. focus etc.

                  if you're more lucky, please tell!!!

                  using scripting function it's a little cumbersome - it mustn't be
                  blocked for long times (michel says "< 200 ms"), so you can't use it
                  directly to answer call. and you don't know when to kill some
                  backgrounded task caused by "end of call", you simply don't get the
                  event.

                  making "popup twinkle main win on incoming call" a provider-settings
                  option should allready be on michels todo-list - i think.
                  whether he will give us some cmdline options like "--answer" or/and
                  "--popup" along with that, or whether he will even change semantics
                  of call-script to handle stdout async so giving a way to catch
                  "request canceled" etc and even doing call-answer (and "popup" &
                  "write-to-displaylog" &...) from this script after several seconds
                  - i don't know

                  (for your requested bubble when incoming call - i've allready seen
                  this??...? hmmm...)

                • Davide Ferrari
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                    Alle 17:46, lunedì 17 aprile 2006, joerg.greoj ha scritto:

                    > i've tried a lot to bring twinkle window up from system task bar,
                    > alas found no way, not with kdcop nor with khotkeys. :(
                    > even khotkeys at least needs a minimized window. this given, you can
                    > tweak your NumericKey block to popup twinkle when non-numlocked key
                    > is pressed and do some magic. this comes handy cause it works
                    > independent from screen-warmup, mouse-action and state of windows
                    > like e.g. focus etc.

                    Well, raising Twinkle from systray was not in my intentions, what I would like
                    is simply a more prominent "phone is ringing" notification, cause I do not
                    always wear earphones and I do not have speakers.

                    > using scripting function it's a little cumbersome - it mustn't be
                    > blocked for long times (michel says "< 200 ms"), so you can't use it
                    > directly to answer call. and you don't know when to kill some
                    > backgrounded task caused by "end of call", you simply don't get the
                    > event.

                    Well I was trying something simpler as I told you. Something like this

                    dcop knotify default notify IncomingCall twinkle "Incoming call from Fred" \
                    '' '' 16 1

                    this pops up a little passive window with a Twinkle icon and the
                    text "Incoming call from Fred" (I've got Twinkle installed at work and I'm
                    currently at home so I don't know if you could pass parameters like
                    names/phone numbers etc. to the script).
                    But I can't change the position of the pop up this way...at least I don't know
                    how, if you have any idea..
                    Another method, using kdialog, could be this

                    kdialog --title "Twinkle notification" --geometry \
                    200x0-100-10 --passivepopup "Incoming call from Fred" 10 &

                    (need to append the ampersant cause kdialog is a blocking app)

                    This is all what I got in a half hour of google searches.

                    Anyway this is simply a hack, not a true solution to the problem...so my
                    initial request for a better KDE notification infrastructure support is still
                    valid :)

                    > (for your requested bubble when incoming call - i've allready seen
                    > this??...? hmmm...)

                    Kopete (inspired by Windows 2000/XP bubbles, I suppose)

                    --
                    Davide Ferrari
                  • Michel de Boer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                      > making "popup twinkle main win on incoming call" a provider-settings
                      > option should allready be on michels todo-list - i think.
                      > whether he will give us some cmdline options like "--answer" or/and
                      > "--popup" along with that, or whether he will even change semantics

                      The next version of Twinkle will have the following command line
                      option:

                      --cmd <cli command>

                      With this you can pass all commands that now exist in the CLI
                      to a running (GUI) instance of Twinkle. So basicly you
                      can remotely control the user interface, like:

                      --cmd answer
                      --cmd reject
                      --cmd "transfer 123456"

                      --
                      Michel de Boer
                      www.twinklephone.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                        wrote:
                        > > (for your requested bubble when incoming call - i've allready
                        seen
                        > > this??...? hmmm...)
                        >
                        > Kopete (inspired by Windows 2000/XP bubbles, I suppose)

                        i wanted to say: twinkle _does_ a rather nice notification fixed to
                        the systray icon when incoming call - exactly the way e.g.
                        SUSEwatcher does notify new avail. updates.
                        just checked this, wasn't sure at time of last msg.
                        however, this is true _only_ with window iconified to systray - with
                        minimized or visible window, this notification is not showing up
                        (what is absolutely ok for me. only khotkeys NEEDS something stupid
                        like minimized but still open window. what _I_ need, is a way to
                        send cmds & _win-events_ to iconified twinkle or uniconify it, my
                        NK-shortcut keys don't work in this case)

                      • Davide Ferrari
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                          Alle 20:58, lunedì 17 aprile 2006, joerg.greoj ha scritto:

                          > i wanted to say: twinkle _does_ a rather nice notification fixed to
                          > the systray icon when incoming call - exactly the way e.g.
                          > SUSEwatcher does notify new avail. updates.

                          Err...and how do I enable it?? I'm using Twinkle 0.6.2 with KDE support
                          enabled (compiled by myself) on a Kubuntu Dapper and I didn't notice this
                          behaviour, otherway I wouldn't have filled this featreq :)
                          Am I doing something wrong perhaps?

                          --
                          Davide Ferrari
                        • joerg.greoj
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                            --- In twinklephone@yahoogroups.com, Michel de Boer <michel@...>
                            wrote:

                            > > making "popup twinkle main win on incoming call" a
                            provider-settings
                            > > option should allready be on michels todo-list - i think.
                            > > whether he will give us some cmdline options like "--answer"
                            or/and
                            > > "--popup" along with that, or whether he will even change
                            semantics

                            > The next version of Twinkle will have the following command line
                            > option:
                            >
                            > --cmd <cli command>
                            >
                            > With this you can pass all commands that now exist in the CLI
                            > to a running (GUI) instance of Twinkle. So basicly you
                            > can remotely control the user interface, like:
                            >
                            > --cmd answer
                            > --cmd reject
                            > --cmd "transfer 123456"
                            >
                            > --

                            hi, michel!
                            fine! this makes things a lot easier. so the call-script could fire
                            a backgrounded task, that asks "accept call?" and sends a "<twinkle>
                            --cmd answer" in the case.
                            what misses is a way to close this requester on 487 e.g. (far end
                            canceled call) - hacks with timers or monitoring IP-traffic are
                            ugly. so if twinkle would start the (or a) script for _every_ event,
                            passing event type to _the_ script, then the script was able to kill
                            the requester task on 487. or close/rename_meaningfully
                            alsa-generated wav-files for call-recording at end of call, ...etc.,
                            or (!)react on inbound dtmf-events(!), or handle reregistration
                            errors ;). you name it

                            would require a structure like
                            >#twinklescript 2.0; twinkle could test, fallback to old if missing
                            >case "$TWINKLE_CALLCAUSE" in
                            >("INVITE") handle_incoming_call();;
                            >(*) exit;;
                            >esac;
                            >
                            >handle_incoming_call() {
                            >... #content of former script
                            >};

                            cheers
                          • joerg.greoj
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                              wrote:

                              > Err...and how do I enable it?? I'm using Twinkle 0.6.2 with KDE
                              support
                              > enabled (compiled by myself) on a Kubuntu Dapper and I didn't
                              notice this
                              > behaviour, otherway I wouldn't have filled this featreq :)
                              > Am I doing something wrong perhaps?
                              you really _iconify_ your window? e.g. by hitting the (usually)
                              [x]-shaped window-close gadget. or by clicking the systray-icon.
                              if there is no twinkle-window in the windows-list, it should work.

                            • Davide Ferrari
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                                Alle 21:55, lunedì 17 aprile 2006, joerg.greoj ha scritto:

                                > you really _iconify_ your window? e.g. by hitting the (usually)
                                > [x]-shaped window-close gadget. or by clicking the systray-icon.
                                > if there is no twinkle-window in the windows-list, it should work.

                                Yeah..and the only notification I get is a little green emblem over the usual
                                twinkle star icon. Anyway tomorrow I will check better.

                                --
                                Davide Ferrari
                              • joerg.greoj
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 17, 2006
                                  wrote:

                                  > Yeah..and the only notification I get is a little green emblem
                                  over the usual
                                  > twinkle star icon. Anyway tomorrow I will check better.

                                  strange! i'm running twinkle0.6.1 suse-rpm (shouldn't care),
                                  kde3.4.0level_b, suse9.3, qt3-3.3.4-11.3.
                                  options in <twinkle>: create systray icon on startup, hide in
                                  systray on close.

                                  maybe the line
                                  >echo -en "\007" 1>&2
                                  in your twinkle callscript might give you audible beep from
                                  system-speaker. works for me, tested with twinkle started from
                                  terminal, dunno what happens when started as kde/x-app
                                  ;-) (another hack (c)jr)
                                • Michel de Boer
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                                    > Yeah..and the only notification I get is a little green emblem over the usual
                                    > twinkle star icon. Anyway tomorrow I will check better.

                                    Yep, that's all the notification Twinkle currently gives you.

                                    --
                                    Michel de Boer
                                    www.twinklephone.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                                      > what misses is a way to close this requester on 487 e.g. (far end
                                      > canceled call) - hacks with timers or monitoring IP-traffic are
                                      > ugly. so if twinkle would start the (or a) script for _every_ event,
                                      > passing event type to _the_ script, then the script was able to kill
                                      > the requester task on 487. or close/rename_meaningfully
                                      > alsa-generated wav-files for call-recording at end of call, ...etc.,
                                      > or (!)react on inbound dtmf-events(!), or handle reregistration
                                      > errors ;). you name it

                                      Yes, there are many useful hooks in call setup tear down
                                      where scripts could be called: 487, BYE, answer, ...
                                      In some future release of Twinkle..... :)

                                      Maybe you should run SIP Express Router, to do fancy stuff.
                                      I think SER can generate all the events you'd like to have.
                                      Then with Twinkle 0.7 you can pass the call commands.

                                      --
                                      Michel de Boer
                                      www.twinklephone.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 18, 2006
                                        wrote:
                                        > Yeah..and the only notification I get is a little green emblem
                                        over the usual
                                        > twinkle star icon. Anyway tomorrow I will check better.

                                        this is what i get:
                                      • Davide Ferrari
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                                          Alle 19:23, martedì 18 aprile 2006, Michel de Boer ha scritto:

                                          > Yep, that's all the notification Twinkle currently gives you.

                                          Ok, I checked better and Joerg was correct, you have a little passive popup
                                          that tell you someone is calling.
                                          But the problem is that is really too smal and, more important, it stays for a
                                          too little time, it could pass easily unnoticed. Could you increase the time
                                          this pop-up is shown? 3-4 seconds more would be enough IMO. And make the
                                          popup a little bigger would be perfect (keep in mind that I'm using a
                                          1280x1024 resolution)

                                          --
                                          Davide Ferrari
                                        • joerg.greoj
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                                            wrote:

                                            > But the problem is that is really too smal and, more important, it
                                            stays for a
                                            > too little time, it could pass easily unnoticed. Could you
                                            increase the time
                                            > this pop-up is shown?

                                            for the duration i agree - it's going away very quickly. could stay
                                            as long as "ringing" and vanish on tear_down or any
                                            key/mouse-event in twinkle.
                                            for size: i'd prefer option "pop up twinkle mainwin" instead of
                                            increasing size of notify (i'd love to see the popup as an option
                                            for --cmd too! still found no way to popup twinkle when iconified,
                                            other than using my mouse. i think, i should be able to work on my
                                            PC without any mouse at all)

                                          • Michel de Boer
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                                              It seems I can easily create a more fancy popup with KDE, like this:

                                              I create the popup with a KPassivePopup object. The default show
                                              time is already 6 seconds! Probably the only way to have a
                                              show time that's good for everyone is to create yet another
                                              option in the system settings.

                                              I don't set any font sizes. So if the popup is too small, I
                                              assume some default settings for the font are too small.

                                              --
                                              Michel de Boer
                                              www.twinklephone.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                                                Alle 21:44, mercoledì 19 aprile 2006, Michel de Boer ha scritto:
                                                > It seems I can easily create a more fancy popup with KDE, like this:

                                                This looks *really* better! :)
                                                Very very nice!

                                                > I create the popup with a KPassivePopup object. The default show
                                                > time is already 6 seconds! Probably the only way to have a
                                                > show time that's good for everyone is to create yet another
                                                > option in the system settings.

                                                No, please, yet another option no! :) I think that with this new popup it's
                                                much more prominent...but perhaps I agree with Joerg, the popup should stay
                                                until you accept/don't accept/transfer/ the call or far end hangs up.
                                                I mean, it could seem too much noise but on the other hand, the phone rings
                                                until you answer..and if I have a softphone I want to be clearly noticied if
                                                someone is calling.

                                                --
                                                Davide Ferrari
                                              • joerg.greoj
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 19, 2006
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > It seems I can easily create a more fancy popup with KDE, like
                                                  this:

                                                  > I create the popup with a KPassivePopup object. The default show
                                                  > time is already 6 seconds! Probably the only way to have a
                                                  > show time that's good for everyone is to create yet another
                                                  > option in the system settings.

                                                  i'd prefer "interactive" close popup based on events. after all it's
                                                  silly if popup still showing while far end canceled call. i wouldn't
                                                  need any option to shorten time then, although it's no hurt.

                                                  > I don't set any font sizes. So if the popup is too small, I
                                                  > assume some default settings for the font are too small.

                                                  note the string cut at right end in picture of my requester...