Why is this group on Yahoo?

  • murray_collingwood
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2011
      I join a number of different groups and forums but Yahoo is the most convoluted process I have ever been through.

      I haven't checked yet but I wonder how many people get put off joining because it is just way too complicated to use. For example:

      a) When I tried to Join this group Yahoo kept saying I had to create a profile. It didn't tell me how to do this, however there was a small pull down icon next to my login name so I clicked this and voila I found a 'Profile' link and thought this must be it.
      b) Well I went there and it appeared that I did have a profile. I filled in a comment just for fun. No - still couldn't join the group.
      c) I also went through a couple of privacy option because this isn't my home profile - I'm on FB and I'd rather just keep one location, so I clicked off the options to allowing my stuff to be found on Yahoo and each time I did this it would fail and I would have to start again.
      d) Just by chance I tried adding an 'Alias' (not a profile) and miraculously I managed to join this group.

      So, if we're voting on a move away from Yahoo groups... +1

      Cheers
      Murray
    • Iñaki Baz Castillo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2011
        2011/6/14 murray_collingwood <murray.collingwood@...>:
        > I join a number of different groups and forums but Yahoo is the most convoluted process I have ever been through.
        >
        > I haven't checked yet but I wonder how many people get put off joining because it is just way too complicated to use.  For example:
        >
        > a) When I tried to Join this group Yahoo kept saying I had to create a profile.  It didn't tell me how to do this, however there was a small pull down icon next to my login name so I clicked this and voila I found a 'Profile' link and thought this must be it.
        > b) Well I went there and it appeared that I did have a profile.  I filled in a comment just for fun.  No - still couldn't join the group.
        > c) I also went through a couple of privacy option because this isn't my home profile - I'm on FB and I'd rather just keep one location, so I clicked off the options to allowing my stuff to be found on Yahoo and each time I did this it would fail and I would have to start again.
        > d) Just by chance I tried adding an 'Alias' (not a profile) and miraculously I managed to join this group.
        >
        > So, if we're voting on a move away from Yahoo groups... +1

        I also feel more confortable with Google Groups, however this group
        waas originally created in Yahoo. Nothing prevents us to migrate to
        other technology. However, taking into account that Twinkle project is
        obviously dead, what is the point of migrating the users-group?

        --
        Iñaki Baz Castillo
        <ibc@...>