what do people use for a SIP proxy?

  • David Benfell
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hi,

      Sorry, this is slightly off topic.

      I'm having a terrible time finding a sane SIP proxy to run on a
      Linode, which is a virtual host. That means I don't have any fancy
      hardware. I've looked at Asterisk in the past: it seems to assume
      you've got PBX hardware, which obviously in this case I don't, and
      anything on that level is excessively complicated. I don't really
      need a PBX.

      The Linode is running Debian Squeeze. All clients would be running
      Twinkle or something like it. Ideally, I could supply SIPs that
      look like email addresses (like mine below). I prefer to access the
      Linode through OpenVPN (which is currently in operation).

      Is anybody doing anything like this? Is there a HOWTO someplace
      that both keeps this *really* simple and actually works?

      Thanks!
      --
      David Benfell <benfell@...>
      http://www.parts-unknown.org/
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011
        On 6 March 2011 06:26, David Benfell <benfell@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        Sorry, this is slightly off topic.

        I'm having a terrible time finding a sane SIP proxy to run on a
        Linode, which is a virtual host.  That means I don't have any fancy
        hardware.  I've looked at Asterisk in the past: it seems to assume
        you've got PBX hardware, which obviously in this case I don't, and
        anything on that level is excessively complicated.  I don't really
        need a PBX.

        I can't see why you can't do this with Asterisk. Might not be ideal but it would work.

        Asterisk is a server for running voice just like Apache is a server for the web.

        You don't need anything special to run current versions of Asterisk (old versions needed hardware timing but this is not needed any more)

        If your not connecting directly to the external telephone network you don't need anything special. in fact even if you are, most people use external boxes like the Linksys SPA3102 now anyway.

        Peter.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011
          On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Peter Childs wrote:

          > On 6 March 2011 06:26, David Benfell <[1]benfell@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > Hi,
          > Sorry, this is slightly off topic.
          > I'm having a terrible time finding a sane SIP proxy to run on a
          > Linode, which is a virtual host. That means I don't have any fancy
          > hardware. I've looked at Asterisk in the past: it seems to assume
          > you've got PBX hardware, which obviously in this case I don't, and
          > anything on that level is excessively complicated. I don't really
          > need a PBX.
          >
          > I can't see why you can't do this with Asterisk. Might not be ideal but
          > it would work.
          > Asterisk is a server for running voice just like Apache is a server for
          > the web.
          > You don't need anything special to run current versions of Asterisk
          > (old versions needed hardware timing but this is not needed any more)
          > If your not connecting directly to the external telephone network you
          > don't need anything special. in fact even if you are, most people use
          > external boxes like the Linksys SPA3102 now anyway.
          > Peter.

          Thanks!

          --
          David Benfell <benfell@...>
          http://www.parts-unknown.org/
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011
            o David Benfell on 03/06/2011 07:26 AM:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Sorry, this is slightly off topic.
            >
            > I'm having a terrible time finding a sane SIP proxy to run on a
            > Linode, which is a virtual host. That means I don't have any fancy
            www.kamailio.org/
            or bundled as sipwise spce
            http://www.sipwise.com/products/spce/quickinstall/ (next release will
            be on squeeze)

            BR
            Stefan
          • David Benfell
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011
              On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Stefan Sayer wrote:

              > o David Benfell on 03/06/2011 07:26 AM:
              > >Hi,
              > >
              > >Sorry, this is slightly off topic.
              > >
              > >I'm having a terrible time finding a sane SIP proxy to run on a
              > >Linode, which is a virtual host. That means I don't have any fancy
              > www.kamailio.org/
              > or bundled as sipwise spce
              > http://www.sipwise.com/products/spce/quickinstall/ (next release
              > will be on squeeze)

              It looks like I would have to bring up a 64-bit Linode to do this.
              That *is* doable and I will look into this.

              Thanks!
              --
              David Benfell <benfell@...>
              http://www.parts-unknown.org/