SIP phone

  • olivier_aufrere
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm a bit worried about the last message of Peter:

      Do we need to find another softphone ?

      I just find:
      http://www.sflphone.org (GTK and not qt)
      Do you know it ?

      Happy new year
      Olivier
    • Jens Jorgensen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
        Oh I don't know, that all depends on your point of view. Twinkle has not been ported to KDE4. At some point, KDE3 will be too outdated to be included in distros. At that point getting twinkle built for yourself will get very labor intensive. I wish I had time to work on it myself, but just don't seem to have the free time. I've switched to Blink. When it works, it seems quite nice. Unfortunately it seems to crash from time to time. Since it is not "mission critical" for my life that's ok by me. Maybe you could also try linphone?

        It is a bit sad, it was a nice application.

        --
        Jens B. Jorgensen
        jbj1@...

      • brian.twinkle@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 9, 2011
          On Tue 04 Jan 2011 at 23:38:14 +0800, Jens Jorgensen wrote:

          > Oh I don't know, that all depends on your point of view. Twinkle has not
          > been ported to KDE4. At some point, KDE3 will be too outdated to be
          > included in distros. At that point getting twinkle built for yourself
          > will get very labor intensive. I wish I had time to work on it myself,
          > but just don't seem to have the free time. I've switched to Blink. When
          > it works, it seems quite nice. Unfortunately it seems to crash from time
          > to time. Since it is not "mission critical" for my life that's ok by me.
          > Maybe you could also try linphone?
          >
          > It is a bit sad, it was a nice application.

          ". . . . was a nice application."? It still is. For my purposes it is
          reliable and, while the other two softphones mentioned are worth
          considering using, I'll stick with it.

          The KDE interface is of no consquence if Debian is used as the program
          is compiled with the --without-kde option.

          Regards,

          Brian.
        • Iñaki Baz Castillo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
            2011/1/9 <brian.twinkle@...>:
            > The KDE interface is of no consquence if Debian is used as the program
            > is compiled with the --without-kde option

            The problem is not KDE but Qt.
            Soon or later distros will not include Qt3 libraries so Twinkle could
            not be compiled.

            --
            Iñaki Baz Castillo
            <ibc@...>
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
              I thought someone was working on a QT4.x version ??

              Sent to you from my Android phone:) with best regards

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
                2011/1/4 olivier_aufrere <olivier_aufrere@...>:
                > I just find:
                > http://www.sflphone.org (GTK and not qt)
                > Do you know it ?

                I've checked it right now. It's a joke at SIP protocol.

                --
                Iñaki Baz Castillo
                <ibc@...>
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
                  thanks Inaki,

                  So, no other usable softphone !?

                  --- In twinklephone@yahoogroups.com, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@...> wrote:

                  > 2011/1/4 olivier_aufrere <olivier_aufrere@...>:
                  > > I just find:
                  > > http://www.sflphone.org (GTK and not qt)
                  > > Do you know it ?
                  >
                  > I've checked it right now. It's a joke at SIP protocol.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Iñaki Baz Castillo
                  > <ibc@...>

                • olivier_aufrere
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
                    Yes, this was Peter Childs.
                    He concluded: too much work, no free-time.
                    This was the reason of my post

                    --- In twinklephone@yahoogroups.com, Fintan <fintanusa@...> wrote:

                    > I thought someone was working on a QT4.x version ??
                    >
                    > Sent to you from my Android phone:) with best regards
                    >

                    > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > 2011/1/9 <brian.twinkle@... <brian.twinkle%40yahoo.co.uk>>:
                    > > > The KDE interface is of no consquence if Debian is used as the program
                    > > > is compiled with the --without-kde option
                    > >
                    > > The problem is not KDE but Qt.
                    > > Soon or later distros will not include Qt3 libraries so Twinkle could
                    > > not be compiled.
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Iñaki Baz Castillo
                    > > <ibc@... <ibc%40aliax.net>>

                  • Iñaki Baz Castillo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
                      2011/1/20 Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@...>:
                      >> I just find:
                      >> http://www.sflphone.org (GTK and not qt)
                      >> Do you know it ?
                      >
                      > I've checked it right now. It's a joke at SIP protocol.

                      Please forget my words, it was an error in my test.

                      --
                      Iñaki Baz Castillo
                      <ibc@...>
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
                        Check out Blink. It hasn't been 100% stable in the past for me, but seems ok.

                        --
                        Jens B. Jorgensen
                        jbj1@...

                      • Stefan Sayer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 20, 2011
                          o olivier_aufrere on 01/20/2011 03:07 PM:

                          > thanks Inaki,
                          >
                          > So, no other usable softphone !?

                          this one is only command line, but it works very well, can do
                          wideband, stereo, video, etc:

                          http://www.creytiv.com/pub/

                          re is the SIP library, baresip the client.

                          If someone has some time on their hands, creating a (possibly
                          QT-based) GUI for that would be great.

                          Stefan
                        • olivier_aufrere
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 21, 2011
                            Ok, let us know your experience

                            --- In twinklephone@yahoogroups.com, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@...> wrote:

                            > 2011/1/20 Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@...>:
                            > >> I just find:
                            > >> http://www.sflphone.org (GTK and not qt)
                            > >> Do you know it ?
                            > >
                            > > I've checked it right now. It's a joke at SIP protocol.
                            >
                            > Please forget my words, it was an error in my test.
                            >

                            > --
                            > Iñaki Baz Castillo
                            > <ibc@...>

                          • Iñaki Baz Castillo
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 23, 2011
                              2011/1/21 olivier_aufrere <olivier_aufrere@...>:
                              > Ok, let us know your experience

                              Sorry but I just testeed it for 4 minutes. I'm not able to give my
                              experience about it.

                              --
                              Iñaki Baz Castillo
                              <ibc@...>
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 16, 2011
                                On 20 January 2011 14:11, olivier_aufrere <olivier_aufrere@...> wrote:

                                Yes, this was Peter Childs.
                                He concluded: too much work, no free-time.
                                This was the reason of my post

                                Hmm yes,

                                Not much progress made as yet project kind of got shelved, although not entirly. Its still an idea of mine, its just progressing very slowly.

                                Take a look at sip-communicator, only issue with this is that its written in java and java is slow. http://sip-communicator.org/ but it does work under linux.

                                Basically to upgrade Twinkle to Qt4 is a complete rewirite. Twinkle has quite a few issues basically, its the best of a bad lot as it stands, which is a shame, as its actually quite a good program compared to other sip phones. (which says a lot about softphones....)

                                Peter.