SIP TLS for Twinkle ?

  • jwomwool
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hey !

      Sorry I have so many questions :)

      Is there any support for SIP over TLS being implemented for Twinkle ?
      What do you think about this security for the signalling protocol ?

      THks
    • Iñaki Baz Castillo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        2008/10/1, jwomwool <jwomwool@...>:
        > Hey !
        >
        > Sorry I have so many questions :)
        >
        > Is there any support for SIP over TLS being implemented for Twinkle ?

        AFAIK not for now.

        > What do you think about this security for the signalling protocol ?

        It's great but not very common (just between proxies). For example IMS
        uses Ipsec.

        --
        Iñaki Baz Castillo
        <ibc@...>
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          --- In twinklephone@yahoogroups.com, "Iñaki Baz Castillo" <ibc@...>
          wrote:

          > 2008/10/1, jwomwool <jwomwool@...>:
          > > Hey !
          > >
          > > Sorry I have so many questions :)
          > >
          > > Is there any support for SIP over TLS being implemented for Twinkle ?
          >
          > AFAIK not for now.
          >

          > > What do you think about this security for the signalling protocol ?
          >
          > It's great but not very common (just between proxies). For example IMS
          > uses Ipsec.
          >

          > --
          > Iñaki Baz Castillo
          > <ibc@...>

          Hello,

          Thanks for the answer,

          I have just began working on VOIP security, but I feel IPSEC is kind
          of "heavy" for it. Even more for the SIP part.

          Since Twinkle uses the "top" (most up to date) encryption protocols
          (ZRTP/SRTP) for the signaling protocol, I was thinking something
          relatively light and quite efficient (hop-by-hop security) like SIP
          over TLS could be a good solution.

          Morover since the application allows users to exchange instant
          messages and attached files through SIP, I thinks it has to be
          protected further :)

          I'll try to see how to implement sip over tls but my programming
          skills are veeeeeeeeeeryyyyyyyyyy low :)

          Bests,

          John