Quote du Jour

  • Builder
    Message 1 of 622 , Mar 9, 2009
      Censorship drives perversion. Always and everywhere. When we drive sex
      out of the mainstream we guarantee that all sex is, by definition,
      deviant.
      - Chris, of Atomic Cinema,
      http://www.cinebizarre.com/essay_eroticphil.htm
      <http://www.cinebizarre.com/essay_eroticphil.htm>

      While I don't necessarily agree with the whole of the thinking of the
      author of this quote, I agree with the observation made in it.

      The problem we have, aside from the stunted and psychologically backward
      thinking of those who want to bury anything to do with sex in a public
      sense, is the expression of sex in our public media.

      In movies or television programs--ones rated for a general
      audience--sexual intercourse is portrayed in ways that may be
      titillating and provocative, but would be impractical and insulting in
      the real world of our personal lives. In a soap opera, for example, two
      people rip each other's clothes off to engage in coitus as quickly as
      possible so that the act doesn't take up too much time in a half hour of
      programming that amounts to 22 minutes of show.

      Ripping each other's clothes off amounts psychologically to mutually
      agreed upon rape. It's a way to release accumulated hormones. It allows
      nothing for gentleness, for caress, for the buildup of interest by each
      person for the other, for the tenderness that makes sex the wonderful
      experience it is rather than a few moments of climax.

      It certain says nothing about love, which is seldom portrayed in a
      genuine way. Television and movies teach sex, not love.

      Our visual media show two people about to engage in sex as hunter and
      prey. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish which is which because both
      want to be the hunter and the hunted.

      I have not done a careful study, but my impression is that of all the
      people we could see engaging in sex on television over the period of one
      day, most are oversexed, sexually repressed and/or promiscuous. If
      that's what narrow minded people want to drive into obscurity, I applaud
      them.

      Sex sells, so the saying goes. So sex is used to sell TV drama,
      comedies, music shows, even sometimes the news as well as products in
      commercials.

      I don't have a problem with that, in principle. The problem I have is
      that adolescents growing into adults who want to take their place as
      sexually healthy members of society use movies and television as their
      main sources of information about sex. That is unhealthy.

      In practice, we need to give our young adults information about sex in
      the form they most prefer it, visually. Porn doesn't satisfy that need,
      but it's used as a substitute for visual information about sex because
      better information is hard to find.

      Nothing improves by driving a publicly popular habit into the position
      of being illegal. If the problem is lack of good visual information
      about sex, then those who complain about bad sex in the media should
      encourage film makers to produce something good. Until they receive
      encouragement to produce good stuff, they will continue to grind out
      crap that appeals to the lowest common denominator, which is why most
      television networks have lost audience and movies have become more
      extreme in the first place. Not enough people demand better of the
      producers.

      When we produce television programs and movies that best suit
      perverts--in terms of matching wants with product produced--while not
      providing better material for the majority, we get visual products that
      deserve to be driven from the marketplace.

      Censorship is not the answer. Except for the lazy people who want to do
      nothing more than to control the behaviour of others by harping and
      bitching.

      Our visual media produce little that we can be proud of as a society.
      Let's tell them we want to be proud, not embarrassed.

      Bill Allin
      Turning It Around: Causes and Cures for Today's Epidemic Social
      Problems, a guidebook for teachers and parents who want to grow
      emotionally and sexually healthy children for tomorrow's world.
      Learn more at http://billallin.com <http://billallin.com/>

    • bill21allin
      Message 622 of 622 , May 8, 2014

        Keeping Kids "Innocent" is Wrong, Ultimately Harmful

        "Now I really suspect that Grandma is hiding [the newspapers with news about the Great War]. That would mean the news was so bad she did not want me to read it. But knowing the truth is better than imagining the worst."

        - Jean Little, If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor, part of the Dear Canada series that teaches history and culture to children through story telling

        They grow up so quickly, don't they? How often have you heard that? Or maybe you have said it yourself.

        Too many parents try to protect their children from the "cruel world out there" by hiding truth and reality from them. "There will be time for them to learn that later, when they are old enough and mature enough to handle it."

        The trouble is, by the time the parents believe their kids are old enough to handle the bad news about life, the kids have usually already experienced the bad part. They are past the time when they needed the input. The parents failed in their most important function, to raise their children to know how to handle what they face in their lives.

        Compared with most mammals and primates, humans have an extremely long period of childhood. Nature has accommodated this by allowing for the slow development of a child's body. Girls don't begin to become fertile (able to procreate) until they are old enough that their prehistoric female ancestors were ready to be mothers. Similarly with boys becoming sexually mature.

        The frontal lobes of the brain, the parts that help us tell right from wrong, good from bad, and that help us to think our way through serious problems do not fully develop until well on into the teen years.

        By the age that adolescents become sexually mature, most of them know almost nothing about what is happening inside their bodies (how the hormones will affect them, not just the mechanics of reproduction as studied in school), how the same is affecting those of the opposite sex and how they can and should manage their strong feelings of sexual attraction toward others.

        A recent study in the United States showed that fully half the college students surveyed knew almost nothing about how to avoid pregnancy. Does that seem unbelievable? It isn't to those college students.

        At the adolescent age of their kids, many parents are saying to other parents that "Kids are interested in sex too young these days," and "I don't want my kid to be having sex until he (or she) is much older and can handle the responsibility." That age is not 12 years. But kids (about 15%) have their first sexual experiences by that age. By age 14 or 15, virtually half of them have had sex at least once. Parents are in denial, unless a daughter becomes pregnant. Then they blame the daughter, or TV, or movies, or their family doctor, just about anyone.

        There is no such thing as an age when a child is too young to learn about matters of adulthood. That's the whole purpose of childhood, for them to learn about being adults before they actually get there and have to live it.

        However, there is a secret about conveying adult information and knowledge to children. It's not what you tell them so much as how you tell them. Like any kind of communication, the message must be formed in such as way that the receiver understands it and can absorb it. Preferably that the young person has understood the message enough that he or she can process how to incorporate it somehow into his or her life.

        A child can know the intricacies of sex without actually feeling the need to have it with another person. There are consequences. One is pregnancy and that includes becoming a parent long before the adolescent is ready to become a parent, to raise, provide for and protect a child.

        Teens have learned how to avoid having intercourse by having sex in such a way that pregnancy is not possible. One method for each gender is cunnilingus (for the female) or fellatio (for the male). These do open the possibilities for STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases), including HPV infection, even throat cancer or HIV. The answer is not to hide these possibilities, but to discuss them so the adolescent has a chance to understand the risks.

        Those who do not know make the most mistakes. The consequences of those mistakes often affect a person for the rest of his or her life. The knowledge young people need is not just about sex. It's about everything they may be exposed to in their lives, including at school, on the streets, on televison and on the internet.

        Innocence in childhood becomes ignorance in adulthood. Innocent children suffer great disadvantages. Ignorant adults become victims of all kinds of problems. To make life worse, ignorant adults who received little help from their parents tend to be shy about asking for help from others when they are adults. In other words, ignorant adults tend to remain ignorant, often to the extent of refusing to learn when they have the opportunity.

        There are no advantages for a child to remain innocent. There are huge and harmful disadvantages for an adult to be ignorant about the realities of life. One of those disadvantages is that ignorant adults tend to be more fearful of more different things than those who are knowledgeable. They also tend to lack empathy and often find it hard to be sympathetic. These are critically important characteristics we want in the generation that will soon run our country.

        If you want a child who never grows up, get a dog or cat. If you are the parent of a child, help that child become a well balanced and responsible adult. It's the primary life responsibility of every parent. Talk about it.

        Bill Allin is the author of Turning It Around: Causes and Cures for Today's Epidemic Social Problems, a book of easy and inexpensive solutions to seemingly impossible problems. He gives advice through his web site and his internet group. To learn more about these go to index