Re: [turkishlearner] Definite object (accusative) with the indefinite article.

  • V Baysan
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 4:52 PM
      Dear Fife,

      Here are some hints which may help you:

      Rule 1) Not every native speaker would know their language
      Rule 2) Not every native speaker is able to teach
      Rule 3) Not every native speaker is able to write grammar book
      Rule 4) In case of emergency, refer to our wise ancestors saying: Adamin
      biri kuyuya bir tas atmis, kirk akilli cikaramamis.
      Rule 5) If nothing works, go back to rule no 1

      Good luck!

      Vehbi

    • Mrstormy1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 6:29 PM
        Merhaba !!

        I am very new to trying to learn the Turkish language, and I am very happy to
        have recently found this site!!
        I am enjoying reading the posts, and am learning a little each time, which is
        great!

        I am very curious though , as to the translation of rule # 4 from Vehbi:
        Rule 4) In case of emergency, refer to our wise ancestors saying: Adamin
        biri kuyuya bir tas atmis, kirk akilli cikaramamis.

        Please , the suspense is killing me... :-)
        I would appreciate a literal translation ,as well as the "general meanig"
        translation , please, as this is very effective in helping me learn.

        Cok Te$ekkUler!!

        Janine in Florida, USA
      • eray kulak
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 11:19 PM
          Herkese Merhaba,

          Adamin biri kuyuya bir tas atmis, kirk akilli cikaramamis"

          Not to be in the coverage area of the saying:)),I'll not try to translate
          the saying literally,but some ideas about the general meaning:

          "In the old days(usually in the rural areas),there was a custom to supply
          the water from the "stone pit"s, inhouse or located in the house-garden.They
          were usually built very narrow to prevent some unlucky events ,like
          "searching the children of the house:)))

          And therefore,the bottoms of the pits are usually very dark,watery:)),and
          also open to be mistaken because of the nice "shadow games".

          ..And therefore,if you throw a stone inside,forget it to get it back:))
          but watch&listen the wonderful scene&sound:)

          The saying says:

          One of the people(usually, not a very clever person:)
          threw a stone(the secondory meaning: an new idea,thought,etc..)
          into the pit(secondary meaning: to the public or idea platform),
          and no any of the fourty "Clever"s could get it back
          (secondary meaning: could solve the problem,trouble..)

          I'm sure,there will be more serious&literal translations,but just to
          suspend the suspense for a while:))

          Byeeee..

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2 2:09 AM
            --- In turkishlearner@egroups.com, Mrstormy1@a... wrote:
            > Merhaba !!
            >
            > I am very new to trying to learn the Turkish language, and I am very
            happy to
            > have recently found this site!!

            Merhaba! If you don't mind me asking, what materials are you using to
            learn Turkish? I'm using Colloq. Turkish the most and I've got a
            grammar book called Turkisk Grammatik, and I've got the Hugo Turkish
            in 3 Months. I also read Hurriyet (in paper and on-line -
            www.hurriyet.com.tr) and I have some videos of Turkish films and I
            record Turkish people speaking for my comprehension.

            Barry
          • Mrstormy1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2 6:47 AM
              ahhh !!