Bir Ceviri

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2012
      Merhabalar.

      Asagidaki cumlenin tam yerinde bir Ingilizce cevirisini aramaktayim. Turkcesi besbelli ama, Ingilizcesini hosuma giden bir sekilde bir turlu cikaramiyorum.

      "Kendine koylulugu yakistirmiyordu."

      I'm looking for a really apt translation of the sentence below. The Turkish is quite clear, but I just cannot get the English in a form that I like.

      Simdiden tesekkurler.
    • Laura Blumenthal
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2012
        S/he wasn't able to fit in to village life, no matter how hard s/he tried?

        Laura 3:)

        On Apr 8, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Richard wrote:

        > Merhabalar.
        >
        > Asagidaki cumlenin tam yerinde bir Ingilizce cevirisini aramaktayim. Turkcesi besbelli ama, Ingilizcesini hosuma giden bir sekilde bir turlu cikaramiyorum.
        >
        > "Kendine koylulugu yakistirmiyordu."
        >
        > I'm looking for a really apt translation of the sentence below. The Turkish is quite clear, but I just cannot get the English in a form that I like.
        >
        > Simdiden tesekkurler.

      • carol williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2012
          "She couldn't get used to village life" maybe. But more context needed I think.

          Carol

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2012
            Let me try?:
            She/He did not think herself/himself worth to be a peasant.
            She/He did not believe she/he deserved to be taken for a peasant.

            To: turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com
            From: idfatigue@...
            Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 08:54:51 +0100
            Subject: Re: [turkishlearner] Bir Ceviri

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2012
              "She thinks that being a villager doesn't suit to himself/herself."

              Selda Kaptano�lu

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2012
                "She didn't see herself as a peasant"?

                "She thinks that being a villager doesn't suit to himself/herself."

                Selda Kaptanoðlu

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2012
                  English corrections:

                  to Selda: doesn't suit him/her. (You cannot use "-self" here because the subject of the clause is not he/she - it's "being".)
                  to armanorama: "worth to be" doesn't work - maybe "worthy of being", but that's not what the original Turkish sentence means. I like your second sentence, though.

                  Laura 3:)