re: Questions

  • Esra Nilsson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hello Antonio,
      I will give some comments on some of the cities. I must admit that I have been personally in Denizli, Konya, and Afyon. Denizli is a touristical city and there is a famous natural and historical site called Pamukkale close to it. I guess that most of the people in the shops etc would speak English there. Konya is a city which I like. It is a historical city and also quite touristical. But the people who live there were the ones who supported the most right wing parties in the past. Afyon is located in the middle of the mountains, very nice lanscape and is not far from Ankara (maybe 1-2 hours by car).

      I haven`t been to Kayseri but I can imagine that it offers enough regarding social activities, business life and shopping centers. Many famous holding founders like Sabanci family come from this city who invested back to their hometown.

      Eskisehir can be a good option too. Especially because it is closed to Istanbul.

      These would be my comments. I hope this helps.

      Kolay gelsin,
      Esra

      Questions
      Posted by: "Antonio" antoniocastro@... antoniocastro.rm
      Thu May 31, 2007 2:31 am (PST)
      Hello to everybody!

      I need your assistance...

      I am a consultant and I may have to go to work for a year or two in
      one of the following cities:
      Afyon, Corum, Denizli, Erzurum, Eskisehir, Kayseri, Konya, Malatya

      I may have to go there with my wife and two small children.

      Considering that, despite all my efforts, I did not manage to learn
      much Turkish studying on my own, and that my wife does not speak
      Turkish, I would like to receive from members their opinions and info
      about these cities, links to useful websites, and what could be the
      best location for a family of expatriates.

      Having lived in Former Soviet Union, we are quite used to live in
      difficult places, but this is going to be the first time when we will
      have to live in a place of which we do not master the language.

      Any suggestion will be most welcomed!

      Tesekkur ederým

      Ciao!

      Antonio

    • Mehmet Emin Coşkun
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2007
        Hi Guys,

        Afyon, Corum, Denizli, Erzurum, Eskisehir, Kayseri,
        Konya, Malatya...

        Hmmm....

        I spent 6 years in Konya, studied university over
        there. So I can say something about that city.
        If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't go there for
        living, not bad city. Living situations is good, big
        but not crowded, for instance there is no traffic
        problem. Living there is easy, I think. And also, it
        is historic place, there are many places to see.
        But...
        It is boring.. I don't like and believe in separating
        people but sometimes we need. I find people there not
        friendly, cold guys, and I find their lifestyle a bit
        strange. It is difficult to explain but after spending
        six years I feel like this.
        Turkish guys in this list will think that it is all
        about religion or it is related to religion, in Turkey
        people thinks that people in Konya is religious and
        they shape their behaviour in religious manner. I
        don't agree with this, it seems like this from
        outside, but when you get into, you realize that it is
        mainly and basicly related to "culture". What I mean
        with "culture" is long story..
        One last note, things about shapes my "biased"(I warn
        you..) opinions about Konya: When I was 17 I went
        there for studying, (Computer Engineering, anyway..),
        In my childhood I were in K.Maras(city from east),
        Ankara(you know it is our capital) and Antakya(very
        south of Turkey and really nice city, mixed culture
        with people who from many ethnic and religional
        backgrounds).
        Antakya has mediterranean culture, friendly people,
        warm weather and warm people. So after spending about
        ten years there(my family spent 14 years.), I found
        Konya "boring", first times when I went there,I
        couldn't help thinking "what sort of place I am in, I
        came"..

        I think Erzurum and Kayseri is similar. My sister been
        to Kayseri, about 5 years and she has similar thoughts
        to me about that city, like Konya.

        And.. Finally..
        My advice is Eskisehir. I had a girlfriend from there,
        so I went there. Nice place, nice people, there are
        two universities, so a lot of students.. It is very
        close to Ankara, which is another nice city.(at
        present I live..)

        Shortly, If I were you, I would choose Eskisehir.
        [should I have said "without thinking? ;-) ]

        Cheers.

        Mehmet.

        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
      • ninacath75
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2007
          yes i must agree with Mehmet..i spent some time in Konya and also the
          areas around Karaman very boring ..and also undercurrents.
          Antakya is where i now live and as Mehmet says its very cosmopolitan
          for a small eastern Med. city...
          i found Konya depressing..there's only so much time you can spend
          admiring old buildings however lovely..

          --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, "Mehmet Emin Coşkun"

          ______________
          > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

        • Antonio
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
            Hello!

            Thanks for your information and for the time you dedicated to my
            question.

            Your comments are very useful and I will keep them in mind!

            Bye,

            Antonio

            --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, "Esra Nilsson"

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007