Kendi

  • John Guise
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 5, 2007
      Hello Everbody

      I am having a little difficulty with "kendi"

      Could any one tell me if this is correct:

      Kendi kalemini kullan. - "Use your pen yourself, Use the pen yourself "- or
      does it mean - "Use your own pen"
      Kendimize guvenimiz kalmadi - "We are not sure of ouselves" - (LIT: To
      ourselves our confidence did not remain)

      Are these translations correct please? - any help is welcomed.
      thanks
      JG - (and Happy New Year)

    • cagri coltekin
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2007
        Hi John,

        On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:39:43AM +1300, John Guise wrote:
        > Hello Everbody
        >
        > I am having a little difficulty with "kendi"
        >
        > Could any one tell me if this is correct:
        >
        > Kendi kalemini kullan.
        > - "Use your pen yourself,

        This would be "Kalemin kendin kullan."

        > Use the pen yourself "

        This would be "Kalemi kendin kullan."

        > - or does it mean - "Use your own pen"

        This is the correct one.

        > Kendimize guvenimiz kalmadi - "We are not sure of ouselves" - (LIT: To
        > ourselves our confidence did not remain)

        I think your translation is correct, however, I would translate
        as "We lost our self confidence".

        HTH,
        --
        çağrı
      • Emre Yazman
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 5, 2007
          Hello John,

          "Kendi kalemini kullan" is literally "use your own pen".

          "Kendimize g�venimiz kalmad�" is not exactly "We are not sure of
          ourselves".
          "We are not sure of ourselves" is "kendimizden emin de�iliz" rather than
          "kendimize g�venimiz kalmad�".

          "Kendimize g�venimiz yoktu" or "�zg�venimiz yoktu" means "we had not any
          self-confidence".

          To tell the truth, I can not express the exact translation of "kendimize
          g�venimiz kalmad�".

          Any help is highly welcomed.

          Emre Yazman

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 6, 2007
            Merhaba John, Merhaba çari (Charly ?, Merhaba Emre,

            "Kendimize guvenimiz kalmadi"

            I would use here the perfect : "We have lost self-confidence".

            Iyi günler, Marsilya'dan selamlar ve iyi yillar.

            --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, cagri coltekin <cagri@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi John,
            >
            > On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:39:43AM +1300, John Guise wrote:
            > > Hello Everbody
            > >
            > > I am having a little difficulty with "kendi"
            > >
            > > Could any one tell me if this is correct:
            > >
            > > Kendi kalemini kullan.
            > > - "Use your pen yourself,
            >
            > This would be "Kalemin kendin kullan."
            >
            > > Use the pen yourself "
            >
            > This would be "Kalemi kendin kullan."
            >
            > > - or does it mean - "Use your own pen"
            >
            > This is the correct one.
            >
            > > Kendimize guvenimiz kalmadi - "We are not sure of ouselves" -
            (LIT: To
            > > ourselves our confidence did not remain)
            >
            > I think your translation is correct, however, I would translate
            > as "We lost our self confidence".
            >
            > HTH,
            > --
            > çağrı

          • Laura Blumenthal
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 6, 2007
              Hi Geneviève

              This person's name is "Çagri" with a soft g and a dotless i. I have a
              friend here in Vancouver with the same name, and she just has people
              call her Sherry - she's given up on getting non-Turkish speakers to be
              able to pronounce her name!

              Laura 3:)

              P.S. I agree with you that it should be "We have lost ..." instead of
              "We lost ..." in this case.

              P.P.S. Bizim Çağrı'mızın erkek mi kız mı olduğunu bilemiyoruz tabii ki
              ... Kendi ağzından (veya klavyesinden) duymamız lâzım.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 6, 2007
                Iyi aksamlar Laura,

                Mesajina tesekkür ederim. Ben saka yaptim (çagri/Charly). I was just
                kidding. Thanks for your kind explanations anyway. Umarimki iyisin,
                bu siteyi çok begendim, konulari epeyce çesitli ve canlidir.

                Saygilar, Geneviève.

                --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, Laura Blumenthal
                <kafetzou2@...> wrote:

                > Hi Geneviève
                >
                > This person's name is "Çagri" with a soft g and a dotless i. I
                have a
                > friend here in Vancouver with the same name, and she just has
                people
                > call her Sherry - she's given up on getting non-Turkish speakers to
                be
                > able to pronounce her name!
                >
                > Laura 3:)
                >
                > P.S. I agree with you that it should be "We have lost ..." instead
                of
                > "We lost ..." in this case.
                >
                > P.P.S. Bizim Çaðrý'mýzýn erkek mi kýz mý olduðunu bilemiyoruz
                tabii ki
                > ... Kendi aðzýndan (veya klavyesinden) duymamýz lâzým.
                >
                > On Jan 6, 2007, at 12:07 AM, genevieve wrote:
                >
                > > Merhaba John, Merhaba çari (Charly ?, Merhaba Emre,

              • Betul Sulusoglu
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 8, 2007
                  Kendi kalemini kullan :Use your own pen.

                  Use the pen yourself : kalemi kendin kullan.
                  Use your pen yourself: kendi kalemini kendin kullan.

                  Kendimize guvenimiz kalmadi - It means "We are not sure of ouselves (Before we were sure)". But I don't know how it is said in English.

                  John Guise <jjgcv@...> wrote: Hello Everbody

                  I am having a little difficulty with "kendi"

                  Could any one tell me if this is correct:

                  Kendi kalemini kullan. - "Use your pen yourself, Use the pen yourself "- or
                  does it mean - "Use your own pen"
                  Kendimize guvenimiz kalmadi - "We are not sure of ouselves" - (LIT: To
                  ourselves our confidence did not remain)

                  Are these translations correct please? - any help is welcomed.
                  thanks
                  JG - (and Happy New Year)

                • carol williams

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 9, 2007
                      To all:

                      I'd like to suggest that each person do a quick scan of a thread to see
                      if a certain question has already been answered before posting a
                      question/answer. Please see the series of answers below - Betül's
                      question had already been answered by Çağrı on January 5th (with a
                      small correctionby Geneviève the following day).

                      Laura 3:)

                      P.S. I would translate that into Turkish, but I don't know how to say
                      "scan" or "thread". Any help would be appreciated!

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 9, 2007
                        How about "We lost self-confidence"?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 9, 2007
                          Or "We've lost self-confidence."

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 9, 2007
                            Hello all
                            I am afraid I cannot agree with Laura's idea to check previous answers
                            berfore mailing your own.

                            The fact that every one has different ways of answering a question is always
                            helpful - in may case with "kendi" then Betul hamin's answer was the best
                            with clear examples.

                            So let us continue with our own ideas for every problem I, say - and not be
                            coloured with waht has already benn stated by a previous member.

                            Cheers & thanks to betul
                            JG

                            I'd like to suggest that each person do a quick scan of a thread to see
                            if a certain question has already been answered before posting a
                            question/answer. Please see the series of answers below - Betl's
                            question had already been answered by agri on January 5th (with a
                            small correctionby Genevive the following day).

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 9, 2007
                              Hi Laura,

                              scan: tarama (to scan: taramak)
                              thread: izlek (bir elektronik forumda tart��man�n �izgisi)

                              Emre Yazman

                            • Laura Blumenthal
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 9, 2007
                                But isn't this exactly what Çağrı had said in his/her post of Jan. 5th?

                                Laura 3:)

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 9, 2007
                                  Laura - you're assuming everyone reads every email with as much diligence as yourself. Some people dip in and out - like myself. It is the nature of such a forum that you may irritatingly open up an email with the same ideas or information. So what?

                                  I'd like to suggest that - each to his own. Thank you.

                                  Laura Blumenthal <kafetzou2@...> wrote:
                                  But isn't this exactly what Çaðrý had said in his/her post of Jan. 5th?

                                  Laura 3:)

                                  On Jan 9, 2007, at 12:12 PM, John Guise wrote:

                                  > Hello all
                                  > I am afraid I cannot agree with Laura's idea to check previous answers
                                  > berfore mailing your own.
                                  >
                                  > The fact that every one has different ways of answering a question is
                                  > always
                                  > helpful - in may case with "kendi" then Betul hamin's answer was the
                                  > best
                                  > with clear examples.
                                  >
                                  > So let us continue with our own ideas for every problem I, say - and
                                  > not be
                                  > coloured with waht has already benn stated by a previous member.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers & thanks to betul
                                  > JG

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Betul Sulusoglu
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 10, 2007
                                    I'm sorry.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 10, 2007
                                      Nothing to apologize for - I was just making a suggestion.

                                      On Jan 10, 2007, at 4:55 AM, Betul Sulusoglu wrote:

                                      > I'm sorry.
                                      >
                                      > Laura Blumenthal <kafetzou2@...> wrote:
                                      > But isn't this exactly what Çaðrý had said in his/her post of Jan.
                                      > 5th?
                                      >
                                      > Laura 3:)
                                      >
                                      > On Jan 9, 2007, at 12:12 PM, John Guise wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Hello all
                                      > > I am afraid I cannot agree with Laura's idea to check previous
                                      > answers
                                      > > berfore mailing your own.
                                      > >
                                      > > The fact that every one has different ways of answering a question
                                      > is
                                      > > always
                                      > > helpful - in may case with "kendi" then Betul hamin's answer was the
                                      > > best
                                      > > with clear examples.
                                      > >
                                      > > So let us continue with our own ideas for every problem I, say - and
                                      > > not be
                                      > > coloured with waht has already benn stated by a previous member.
                                      > >
                                      > > Cheers & thanks to betul
                                      > > JG

                                    • John Guise
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 10, 2007
                                        Betul hanim

                                        Here are the excellent examples that you gave:

                                        >>(1) Use your own pen: Kendi kalemini kullan .
                                        >>(2) Use the pen yourself : Kalemi kendin kullan.
                                        >>(3) Use your pen yourself: Kendi kalemini kendin kullan.

                                        Please tell me if, in (1) and (3) we can also say:

                                        (1) Use your own pen: Kendinin kalemini kullan . (using -
                                        kendinin)
                                        (3) Use your pen yourself: Kendinin kalemini kendin kullan. (using -
                                        kendinin)

                                        Can you please tell me if these forms are also correct or not correct.

                                        Thanks again - no need to be sorry........................

                                        saygilarimla
                                        John G.

                                      • Betul Sulusoglu
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 11, 2007
                                          These usage are grammatical and acceptable. we added genetive suffix to "kendi" for the 2th plural person. it has an emphatic function.
                                          (1) Use your own pen: (senin) Kendinin kalemini kullan . (using -kendinin)
                                          but generally we say "kendi kalemini kullan."

                                          (3) Use your pen yourself: (senin) Kendinin kalemini kendin kullan. (using - kendinin)
                                          but generally we say "kendi kalemini kendin kullan."

                                          Kerslake and Göksel ((Kerslake, C & Göksel, A. (2005). Turkish...) say, " 'kendi' functions as an adjectival modifier of a possessive marked noun phrase, and means 'own' in this usage 'kendi' is not inflected for person or case."

                                          so
                                          for example, we do not say
                                          (benim) kendim-in kalem-im-i kendim kullandım.(I used my own pen myself)
                                          We can say
                                          (benim) kendi kalem-im-i kendim kullandım.

                                          (note: I couldn't read all of the messages. If there is the same answer, I am sorry!!!)

                                          John Guise <jjgcv@...> wrote: Betul hanim

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 11, 2007
                                            I wrote,
                                            "we added genetive suffix to "kendi" for the 2th plural person.
                                            There is mistake in this sentences."
                                            not 2th plural person, this must be 2th singular person.
                                            Sorry.

                                            --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, Betul Sulusoglu
                                            <sulusoglubetul@...> wrote:

                                            > These usage are grammatical and acceptable. we added genetive
                                            suffix to "kendi" for the 2th plural person. it has an emphatic
                                            function.
                                            > (1) Use your own pen: (senin) Kendinin kalemini
                                            kullan . (using -kendinin)
                                            > but generally we say "kendi kalemini kullan."
                                            >
                                            > (3) Use your pen yourself: (senin) Kendinin kalemini
                                            kendin kullan. (using - kendinin)
                                            > but generally we say "kendi kalemini kendin kullan."
                                            >

                                            > Kerslake and Göksel ((Kerslake, C & Göksel, A. (2005).
                                            Turkish...) say, " 'kendi' functions as an adjectival modifier of a
                                            possessive marked noun phrase, and means 'own' in this usage 'kendi'
                                            is not inflected for person or case."

                                            > so
                                            > for example, we do not say
                                            > (benim) kendim-in kalem-im-i kendim kullandım.(I used my own
                                            pen myself)
                                            > We can say
                                            > (benim) kendi kalem-im-i kendim kullandım.
                                            >
                                            > (note: I couldn't read all of the messages. If there is the same
                                            answer, I am sorry!!!)

                                            > John Guise <jjgcv@...> wrote:
                                            Betul hanim

                                            > Here are the excellent examples that you gave:
                                            >
                                            > >>(1) Use your own pen: Kendi kalemini kullan .
                                            > >>(2) Use the pen yourself : Kalemi kendin kullan.
                                            > >>(3) Use your pen yourself: Kendi kalemini kendin kullan.
                                            >
                                            > Please tell me if, in (1) and (3) we can also say:
                                            >
                                            > (1) Use your own pen: Kendinin kalemini kullan .
                                            (using -
                                            > kendinin)
                                            > (3) Use your pen yourself: Kendinin kalemini kendin
                                            kullan. (using -
                                            > kendinin)
                                            >
                                            > Can you please tell me if these forms are also correct or not
                                            correct.

                                            > Thanks again - no need to be sorry........................
                                            >
                                            > saygilarimla
                                            > John G.

                                          • axaray
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 11, 2007
                                              selam,
                                              "kendinin" tek basina yaygin kullanimli degil ama "kendininki" daha
                                              yaygin kullanilabilir:
                                              "kendi kalemini kullan" => "kendininkini kullan"
                                              "kendi arabani kullan" => "kendininkini kullan"
                                              aradaki en onemli fark sagdaki kullanimda konusanlarin "hangi sey"
                                              hakkinda konusuldugundan emin olmasidir.
                                              burada "kendinin-ki" kelimesi "sana ait olan[sey]-i" anlamindadir.
                                              benzer sekilde:
                                              "benimki" > "kendiminki"
                                              "seninki" > "kendininki"
                                              "onunki" > "kendisininki"
                                              "bizimki" > "kendimizinki"
                                              "sizinki" > "kendinizinki"
                                              "onlarinki" > "kendilerininki"

                                              biraz karisik oldu galiba, simdilik elimden ancak bu geldi.
                                              kolay gelsin
                                              Kenan