"pay attention" and one long sentence

  • Sergei Shelukhin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hi ppl, it was pretty quiet here lately...

      1) I noticed that Turkish has many phrases for paying attention -
      kulak vermek, aldiris etmek, dikkat etmek, onemsemek. Nornally it is
      not a problem cuase one phrase is usually frequently used and others
      aren't, but I have seen all four of them used; I infered that
      onemsemek means "pay attention' in a sense of "consider important",
      but what is the difference between the others?

      2) Then there's this sentence that looks pretty complex, followed by
      my translation attempt
      C#nedir?com''un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden ve sizlerden aldigimiz
      geri donuslere baktigimizda ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina
      yurekten inaniyoruz.
      We dearly believe that another MVP coming from our crew ??comes
      from/thanks to?? high quality projects carried out by c#nedir and
      visits/returns we received from you ?something?.
      Where does "baktigimizda" go?
    • Yasin Okumus
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        "C#nedir?com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden ve sizlerden aldigimiz geri donuslere baktigimizda ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina yurekten inaniyoruz. "

        this is some wrong.true one may be like this: c#nedir.com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelere ve sizlerden aldigimiz geri donuslere baktigimizda, ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina inaniyoruz.

        when we see the qualified projects of c#nedir.com and the feedbacks we receive from you, we believe sincerely that there will be many MVP from our team.

        Sergei Shelukhin <realgeek@...> wrote: Hi ppl, it was pretty quiet here lately...

        1) I noticed that Turkish has many phrases for paying attention -
        kulak vermek, aldiris etmek, dikkat etmek, onemsemek. Nornally it is
        not a problem cuase one phrase is usually frequently used and others
        aren't, but I have seen all four of them used; I infered that
        onemsemek means "pay attention' in a sense of "consider important",
        but what is the difference between the others?

        2) Then there's this sentence that looks pretty complex, followed by
        my translation attempt
        C#nedir?com''un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden ve sizlerden aldigimiz
        geri donuslere baktigimizda ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina
        yurekten inaniyoruz.
        We dearly believe that another MVP coming from our crew ??comes
        from/thanks to?? high quality projects carried out by c#nedir and
        visits/returns we received from you ?something?.
        Where does "baktigimizda" go?

      • Arzu Coltekin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
          Merhaba,

          The sentence does not have to be wrong, two commas could save it :)

          "C#nedir?com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden, ve sizlerden aldigimiz
          geri donuslere baktigimizda, ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina
          yurekten inaniyoruz."

          Judging from the quality of the projects done by C#nedir.com, and
          when we look at the feedback we receive from you, we sincerely
          believe that our team will produce many more MVPs.

          As for Sergei's first question, there isn't an easy answer. It's a bit
          context dependent, when I think of it. Kulak vermek is literally "to give
          an ear" -- i.e. to listen. Aldiris etmek is used often in negative context
          as "aldiris etmemek" (when one doesn't care). Dikkat etmek, would be
          "do(ing) care", i.e. paying attention, or taking care - for example we say
          "kendine dikkat et" (take care of yourself). �nemsemek is to consider
          important. If you give a context I could tell you which one I'd chose to
          use, but I can't think of a rule of thumb that would help you to chose the
          right one. Anyone else?

          Cheers,
          -Arzu

          On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Yasin Okumus wrote:

          > "C#nedir?com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden ve sizlerden aldigimiz geri donuslere baktigimizda ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina yurekten inaniyoruz. "
          >
          > this is some wrong.true one may be like this: c#nedir.com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelere ve sizlerden aldigimiz geri donuslere baktigimizda, ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina inaniyoruz.
          >
          > when we see the qualified projects of c#nedir.com and the feedbacks we receive from you, we believe sincerely that there will be many MVP from our team.
          >
          > Sergei Shelukhin <realgeek@...> wrote: Hi ppl, it was pretty quiet here lately...
          >
          > 1) I noticed that Turkish has many phrases for paying attention -
          > kulak vermek, aldiris etmek, dikkat etmek, onemsemek. Nornally it is
          > not a problem cuase one phrase is usually frequently used and others
          > aren't, but I have seen all four of them used; I infered that
          > onemsemek means "pay attention' in a sense of "consider important",
          > but what is the difference between the others?
          >
          > 2) Then there's this sentence that looks pretty complex, followed by
          > my translation attempt
          > C#nedir?com''un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden ve sizlerden aldigimiz
          > geri donuslere baktigimizda ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina
          > yurekten inaniyoruz.
          > We dearly believe that another MVP coming from our crew ??comes
          > from/thanks to?? high quality projects carried out by c#nedir and
          > visits/returns we received from you ?something?.
          > Where does "baktigimizda" go?

        • Erol Tunali
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
            Selam,

            Well, I believe something wrong with the sentence. Yes it can be saved by adding some words. Some proposals for correction:

            "C#nedir?com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelere ve sizlerden aldigimiz
            geri donuslere baktigimizda, ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina
            yurekten inaniyoruz."

            or

            "C#nedir?com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden ve sizlerden aldigimiz
            geri donuslerden, ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagini
            görüyoruz"

            And other variations...

            Selamlar,

            Erol

            Merhaba,

            The sentence does not have to be wrong, two commas could save it :)

            "C#nedir?com'un cikardigi kaliteli projelerden, ve sizlerden aldigimiz
            geri donuslere baktigimizda, ekibimizden daha bir cok MVP cikacagina
            yurekten inaniyoruz."

          • sokhna diarra ndour