RE: [turkishlearner] Re: learning by translation again, help needed :)

  • Tim Davies
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 1, 2006
      John,
      I think Laura has managed to analyse the problem accurately, but it still
      poses an interesting question about how to actually say it in English.
      You see, in Danish for example, you can say the equivalent of:
      "The man whom I do not know where comes from", and that works fine, also
      avoiding the problem of the whom + they.
      Best
      Tim

    • can_bekaroglu
      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 16, 2006
        Ok ok I know that difference, though it was clear from my intonation
        (if I spelled it wrong here). But thank you anyway :)

        Can

        --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, "John Guise" <jjgcv@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Can
        >
        > There is a big difference in rhe meaning of:
        >
        > "You're pretty, much like a friend of mine!"
        >
        > "You're pretty much like, a friend of mine!"
        >
        > It's not what you say... - its the way that you say it...
        > - in English - so there are no "mix-ups".
        >
        > Regards
        > John G. (Kawerau - NZ)

        English second
        > language
        > Foreign language Learn turkish language Second language
        acquisition

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "turkishlearner" on the web.

        Service.