RE: [turkishlearner] LOLO

  • Tim Davies
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
      Thanks John.
      -----Original Message-----
      From: turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of John
      Sent: 31. oktober 2005 15:05
      To: turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [turkishlearner] LOLO

      lolo is slang and it means stuff and nonsense,bull[I particularly like
      this one ;what price to an aggresive turkish stallholder ? ] ,song and danse
      hope this helps
      John
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
        Does it tend toward stuff and nonsense or toward bull? I.e. would one use it in a first-grade classroom to describe what the kids should stop doing?
        Bayle

        Thanks John.
        Does anyone know what 'lolo' would be in English please?

        Tim

        lolo isim, argo söz "Bir sözün, bir tutumun veya davranisin gerçek ve
        geçerli olmadigini, baskalarinin söz konusu olayda aldanabilecegini,
        ancak
        söz sahibinin aldanmayacagini, aldatilamayacagini" belirten bana da mi
        lolo
        deyiminde geçen bir söz.

        Service.

        language
        Learn turkish language Second language acquisition Turkish
        language

        Service.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "turkishlearner" on the web.

      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
          Why not !
          i believe modern language teaching is too nicey nicey and savours of the lightning struck my portillion style
          This is the way ordinary people really talk . I wasted my first two years of learning Modern Greek with a teacher of the nicey nicey school and woke up after a waiter taught me more practical greek in a week than i had learnt in a year with a classical bent teacher

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
            I totally agree with what you're saying, John, but I think Bayle's
            question is more like "Would a Turkish person use it [lolo] to describe
            what the kids should stop doing in a first-grade class?" I think we
            need some of our anadili olanlari to ring in on this one.

            Laura 3:)

            On 1-Nov-05, at 6:12 AM, John wrote:

            > Why not !
            > i believe modern language teaching is too nicey nicey and savours of
            > the lightning struck my portillion style
            > This is the way ordinary people really talk . I wasted my first two
            > years of learning Modern Greek with a teacher of the nicey nicey
            > school and woke up after a waiter taught me more practical greek in a
            > week than i  had learnt in a year with a classical bent teacher

          • harun mehdi
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
              I wonder where did you find meaning of "lolo" from? I think the nearest meaning of "lolo" can be "talking big" "to show off" "to deceive" in english.
              The most widespread using of "lolo" is "ona lolo, buna lolo, bize de mi lolo?" it means ; you can talk big or lie to others but do not behave to us in that way.
              I hope this can be helpful :)

              Harun

              Laura Blumenthal <kafetzou@...> wrote:
              I totally agree with what you're saying, John, but I think Bayle's
              question is more like "Would a Turkish person use it [lolo] to describe
              what the kids should stop doing in a first-grade class?" I think we
              need some of our anadili olanlari to ring in on this one.

              Laura 3:)

              On 1-Nov-05, at 6:12 AM, John wrote:

              > Why not !
              > i believe modern language teaching is too nicey nicey and savours of
              > the lightning struck my portillion style
              > This is the way ordinary people really talk . I wasted my first two
              > years of learning Modern Greek with a teacher of the nicey nicey
              > school and woke up after a waiter taught me more practical greek in a
              > week than i had learnt in a year with a classical bent teacher

              Virtual classroom English language teaching Foreign language Learn turkish language Second language acquisition Turkish language

            • Bayle Emlein
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
                Hi John, I appreciate what thou sayest. However, there's slang and then there's adult slang. Which is this?
                Bayle