Re: [turkishlearner] Canýma kasteyleme

  • BARDANT Jean-Xavier
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
      > is it a coool song?

      It's Turkish popular music (not Pop music, rather far away from Tarkan).

      Everybody knows those songs (called "türkü") in Turkey... There are many
      bars playing it, but normal people (not musicians) also gather sometimes to
      sing together.
      The instrument used traditionaly to accompany those songs is named a saz. It
      looks like a guitar with three groups of strings, but both the sound and the
      playing technique are rather different from guitar. I bought one last summer
      and I'm making my neighbours crazy in Paris now... I wish I can play it
      before they throw me outside. Whatever.

      Give it a try if you have the opportunity...

      JX

      -- Disclaimer ------------------------------------
      Ce message ainsi que les eventuelles pieces jointes constituent une correspondance privee et confidentielle a l'attention exclusive du destinataire designe ci-dessus. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire du present message ou une personne susceptible de pouvoir le lui delivrer, il vous est signifie que toute divulgation, distribution ou copie de cette transmission est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, nous vous remercions d'en informer l'expediteur par telephone ou de lui retourner le present message, puis d'effacer immediatement ce message de votre systeme.
      ***
      This e-mail and any attachments is a confidential correspondence intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by phone or by replying this message, and then delete this message from your system.
    • BARDANT Jean-Xavier
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
        > is it a coool song?

        By the way you can find information about Turkish music in this bool about
        Turkey published by the « Turkish News Agency for the Directorate General of
        Press & Information of the Prime Ministry. » and available online.

        For some mysterious reason the chapter begins with « Polyphonic Turkish
        Music », which is an oxymoron IMHO.

        http://www.tbb.gen.tr/turkiye/content/english/460-461.htm

[...]

      • Laura Blumenthal
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
          Sorry, Jean-Xavier, but I had to cringe when I read this post. As an
          amateur musician & singer, I must make a few corrections:

          The song is not Turkish popular music (= pop); it is Turkish folk music (=
          türkü).

          The saz does not look like a guitar. Its body is pear shaped, so it looks
          more like the Arabic bozuq or the Bulgarian tambura (that comment was for
          Melody & Annie). The sound hole is on the bottom, rather than being on the
          face, though, which is one of the reasons for the difference in sound. The
          length of the neck and the thinness of the strings are other reasons.
          There're two great pictures of it on page 466-7 of the "book" that
          Jean-Xavier posted the link to.

          Laura 3:)

          From: BARDANT Jean-Xavier <jean-xavier.bardant@...>
          Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:51:16 +0200
          To: turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [turkishlearner] Canýma kasteyleme

          > is it a coool song?

          It's Turkish popular music (not Pop music, rather far away from Tarkan).

          Everybody knows those songs (called "türkü") in Turkey... There are many
          bars playing it, but normal people (not musicians) also gather sometimes to
          sing together.
          The instrument used traditionaly to accompany those songs is named a saz. It
          looks like a guitar with three groups of strings, but both the sound and the
          playing technique are rather different from guitar. I bought one last summer
          and I'm making my neighbours crazy in Paris now... I wish I can play it
          before they throw me outside. Whatever.

          Give it a try if you have the opportunity...

          JX

          -- Disclaimer ------------------------------------
          Ce message ainsi que les eventuelles pieces jointes constituent une
          correspondance privee et confidentielle a l'attention exclusive du
          destinataire designe ci-dessus. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire du
          present message ou une personne susceptible de pouvoir le lui delivrer, il
          vous est signifie que toute divulgation, distribution ou copie de cette
          transmission est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par
          erreur, nous vous remercions d'en informer l'expediteur par telephone ou de
          lui retourner le present message, puis d'effacer immediatement ce message de
          votre systeme.
          ***
          This e-mail and any attachments is a confidential correspondence intended
          only for use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the
          intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering the message to
          the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
          have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by phone
          or by replying this message, and then delete this message from your system.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • JX Bardant
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
            --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, Laura Blumenthal
            <kafetzou@s...> wrote:
            > Sorry, Jean-Xavier, but I had to cringe when I read this post.

            Peki. Benim gibi cahile sen efendim deme (aman aman) :-)

            >As an
            > amateur musician & singer, I must make a few corrections:
            >
            > The song is not Turkish popular music (= pop); it is Turkish folk
            music (=
            > türkü).

            My mistake. Folk music = musique populaire in French.

            > The saz does not look like a guitar.

            This is the closest western instrument I could think about.

            Whatever. What do you play ?
          • trhelper2004
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
              > The saz does not look like a guitar. Its body is pear shaped, so
              it looks
              > more like the Arabic bozuq or the Bulgarian tambura

              I recently noticed a documentary on CNN Turk (Turkish TV btw) about
              the oldest Turkish instrument "tambur"! :)
            • =-->(Melody)<--=
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
                thank u JX for such information ... this is really coool ... and i guess i know what is "saz"! .. i might saw one ... :)

                  From: BARDANT Jean-Xavier <jean-xavier.bardant@...>
                  Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:51:16 +0200
                  To: turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [turkishlearner] Can�ma kasteyleme

                  > is it a coool song?

                  It's Turkish popular music (not Pop music, rather far away from Tarkan).

                  Everybody knows those songs (called "t�rk�") in Turkey... There are many
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

                • Laura Blumenthal
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2004
                    I sing and play percussion.

                    Laura 3:)

                    From: JX Bardant <jean-xavier.bardant@...>
                    Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:45:11 +0000
                    To: turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [turkishlearner] Re: Canýma kasteyleme

                    Whatever. What do you play ?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2004
                      <kafetzou@s...> wrote:
                      > I sing and play percussion.

                      Hey, great :-) Did you ever play with people singing türküs ?
                      I tried to use a derbuka once or twice but I can't really play it and
                      rhythms of türküs are quite complicated for me... I think also that
                      there are some conventional patterns in percussion... I don't know
                      those patterns of course, which doesn't help.

                      I started saz one month ago... I won't play like Arif Sağ but I wish
                      I can be able to accompany türküs some day...

                      JX