Remember Dario Moreno?

  • Samuel Rafinesque
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2004
      Those of you who lived in Izmir in the late 1960s & were old enough
      may remember Dario Moreno, a Turkish-Italian(or French?) singer who
      was popular for a few years before he died prematurely. I think one
      of his parents was Turkish. I understand there is now a street named
      after him in Izmir.

      MP3s of a couple of his songs in Turkish are available at
      http://www.geocities.com/izmirxizmir/muzik.html

      "Deniz & Mehtap", arguably his most famous song in Turkish, is
      typical of its genre.

      Aydin
    • Deniz Barki
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2004
        not just a street but a whole little neighbourhood :-) well, it's one little avenue with all the houses/buildings surrounding it and it leads up to this tower-like restaurant, I think it's called the elevator restaurant or something? Anyway, it was all very cute and old-fashioned...

        :-)

        Deniz
        Samuel Rafinesque <gastropod@...> wrote:
        Those of you who lived in Izmir in the late 1960s & were old enough
        may remember Dario Moreno, a Turkish-Italian(or French?) singer who
        was popular for a few years before he died prematurely. I think one
        of his parents was Turkish. I understand there is now a street named
        after him in Izmir.

        MP3s of a couple of his songs in Turkish are available at
        http://www.geocities.com/izmirxizmir/muzik.html

        "Deniz & Mehtap", arguably his most famous song in Turkish, is
        typical of its genre.

        Aydin

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Tinúviel! Tinúviel! / He called her by her elvish name; / And there she halted listening. / One moment stood she, and a spell / His voice laid on her: Beren came, / And doom fell on Tinúviel / That in his arms lay glistening. . . / And long ago they passed away / In the forest singing sorrowless.

      • Samuel Rafinesque
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2004
          Asansör.

          My recollections of Moreno's family history were -as usual- not quite
          accurate. He was a Turkish jew born in Izmir. His real name was David
          Arugete. There is some biographical info about him at:
          http://www.geocities.com/izmirxizmir/HAYATI.html [written annoyingly
          without using Turkish characters]

          Aydin

          --- In turkishlearner@yahoogroups.com, Deniz Barki <denizb33@y...>