Re: [turkishlearner] MA+PhD in Turkish in Leiden/NL

  • marmaris666@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
      I would be very interested indeed about this course, if anyone can send any
      further details i would be very grateful also if someone knows of a course
      where i can learn the Turkish language i would also be grateful.
      Please let me know of any grants etc. which may be had for taking such
      courses.
      I live in Northern Ireland but spend quite a lot of time in Turkey.
      Thanking you all for reading this and I am sorry I cannot write this in the
      Turkish language, I wish so much that I could.
      I would just like to say to everyone who reads this to:~
      Lutfen kendine iyi bak
      Thanks
      Ann
    • Arzu Coltekin
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
        Selam Michael,

        You're welcome, I am glad that it wasn't all off-topic :) I have,
        unfortunately, no direct connection to the institute - so I am not able to
        tell anything more. In the website there was a pdf file, which might
        have some more information than the message. What you did is
        the best though - to contact and ask what they can send you.

        My impression of the institute is that they are one of the stronger ones
        in Europa, but maybe someone more involved can give a more detailed
        opinion. Do we have someone in the list who has more information/contacts
        to Leiden's Turkish department?

        Good luck with the time and all the other arrangements that might follow -
        it does sound attractive to me too (except it is not an option for next
        100 years, I will re-consider it after that! :). In quite a few European
        countries, the education is normally free, but I guess in this case it is
        not. You might always look for some grants of course.

        Let us know if you end up applying and all.
        .imdilik ho.çakal,
        -Arzu

        On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Michael Isador wrote:

        > Selam Arzu,

        > I could be really interested in this program, so many thanks for the
        > post. I've contacted Ms. Gielen for more information, which she tells me
        > is on the way. While I'm waiting for trans-Atlantic mail, though, do you
        > yourself know anything about the program? For instance, how good it is,
        > what the focus is on language in relation to the other subjects
        > mentioned, how many months it lasts, and how the time is divided between
        > Leiden and Istanbul? I went to the site and saw the prices (which as I'm
        > in the States, seem quite reasonable) and I have to say it sounds like
        > it could be fascinating. Finding the equivalent of an academic year's
        > time to do it, though, could be another matter entirely . . . :) But if
        > you know anything more about the program, please let me know - I would
        > value your knowledge and opinions.
        >
        > Hosçakal,
        > Michael

      • Arzu Coltekin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
          Dear Ann,

          I am afraid I don't have further information (I've already said that in my
          previous mail, no? I am repeating myself!). But you might also want to
          contact the person in the original email to ask further questions. You can
          see the original email here:

          Don't worry about not writing it in Turkish, two-language posts are ideal,
          but it should not discourage people from writing. When you can, it is nice
          that you spend an effort, and when you can't, just say what you have to
          say - I think.

          Sen de kendine iyi bak!
          Sevgiler,
          -Arzu

          On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 marmaris666@... wrote:

          > I would be very interested indeed about this course, if anyone can send any
          > further details i would be very grateful also if someone knows of a course
          > where i can learn the Turkish language i would also be grateful.
          > Please let me know of any grants etc. which may be had for taking such
          > courses.
          > I live in Northern Ireland but spend quite a lot of time in Turkey.
          > Thanking you all for reading this and I am sorry I cannot write this in the
          > Turkish language, I wish so much that I could.
          > I would just like to say to everyone who reads this to:~
          > Lutfen kendine iyi bak
          > Thanks
          > Ann

        • Ben __
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
            Merhabalar,
            I too was very interested in this program and was equally dismayed at the
            high tuition. I guess I'll just stick with my government subsidised Canadian
            universities :) Regarding the university, I do know that Leiden is a
            prestigeous university (EJ Brill books come from Leiden, and they are _good_
            books). It also houses the International Institute for the Study of Islam in
            the Modern World (ISIM is its greatly condensed acronym) which has great
            people attached to it. ISIM has an excellent newsletter for those who are
            interested in the subject.
            Anyhow, I'd love to study there but I guess I'll just keep dreaming for
            now.
            Kendine çok iyi bak! Ben

            http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp