Allah blessed us with the month of Ramazan

  • ozgean omer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2010

      Allah blessed us with the month of Ramazan, and bestowed His favor upon us with the fasting of its day and the praying of its night. Soon, as we bid farewell to this blessed month, this beloved, noble guest, it is a good time to remind ourselves and to take a moment to reflect upon our actions during Ramazan, our motives and perhaps even chart a course for the continuity of our good deeds. We should ask ourselves a few questions for which we need to find some honest answers.

      An answer, it is said, is only as good as the question that precedes it. For it is only when we frame a query searching enough, searing enough, that we can hope to find a reply that is comprehensive and just. It is these answers that may have a chance to awaken us from our absent-mindedness, our heedlessness and help us remain steadfast and virtuous.

      These questions are in their utmost simplicity: Who did you fast for? Why did you fast? What is to be done after Ramazan?

      Yet, the answers are only the bare truth. Why, nothing else could be clearer! I fasted for Allah alone, to worship Him, seeking the rewards from Him alone.

      Yes, these answers are correct and clear. But, what about those of us who fasted the month of Ramazan as a tradition and not as an act of worship?

      Do we not know of someone who got used to fasting this month because they inherited it from their parents and their societies and they do not want to go against their traditions? Do we see someone fasting because everyone around them, their family, peers and colleagues are fasting, and they want to belong?

      Are we among those people who abstain from all sorts of permissible food and drink during the long hours of the day, only to fall upon the food and drink at iftar, unmindful of what is unlawful during the nights and days of the rest of the year? This is because of the feeble self-control over overwhelming desires of the nefis (soul), that is not bothered to be reined-in, except for mighty efforts during the days of Ramazan.

      Have we not observed someone we know, who fasts meticulously as if fasting is a habit that has been inherited, and yet does not pray? Have not we, at some time or the other, fasted as if a bag was tied to a camel's mouth to prevent it from eating until dusk, because we have not prayed nor observed the limits set by Allah, achieving nothing out of it except hunger or thirst?

      Certainly, the obligation of fasting is one of the pillars of Islam, but the greatest pillar of Islam is the Salah. The five daily prayers are greater than fasting. Some people regularly fast the month of Ramazan, but do not regularly pray. Some do not pray at all.

      Does Allah deserve to be worshiped during the month of Ramazan by fasting, then He does not deserve to be worshiped in the five daily prayers?
      Similarly, we see people staying away from lying, backbiting and cheating during Ramazan, only to go right back to their evil ways, the very evening the moon is sighted for Shevval!

      Will we do the same? Will we go right back to the way were before Ramazan? Or have we changed for the better?

      Will we abandon the Quran, the Word of ar-Rahman, that we recited so whole heartedly during Ramazan and replace it with music, the words of as-Sheytan?

      Will we forget all that we learnt from this blessed month in the blink of an eye?
      Will we run straight back into the haram that we worked so hard to stay away from during Ramazan?

      We all prayed Tahajjud / Fajr Salat but sadly now we will pray only when we get time.

      We sacrificed our daily evening routine for 1 hour of Esha and Teravih (relief) Salat and now if we are to ask to devote 1 hour for namaz , we would think twice.

      Does Allah deserve from us to be worshiped only in the month of Ramadan, but not in the rest of the year?

      It's far easy to keep fasting in Ramazan (as everyone is fasting), but now because we have got the habbit let's first start continue fasting for next 6 days of Shevval followed by sunnat fasting of mondays and thursday and 13,14,15 of every month.

      Has this month of fasting become more of a tradition for us than anything else going from one Khatam to another, trying to catch the blessing of Khatmul-Quran, yet when it comes to our practical every day lives, this very Quran lies dusty upon our shelves, having no impact on our lives, having no change in our attitude and with no effect on our submission to Allah.

      Did we really learn nothing from this blessed month? Or did we?

      Rather, this month should be a starting point for further piety because from the signs of Allah's acceptance of our fasting is that He helps us to become steadfast in the Deen after Ramazan.

      It is a farewell, but also a renewal, a reaffirmation, a positive change, and with the Will of Allah, also our labor's end and its just recompense.

      Prof.eng.Ozgean Omer, Constanta, Romania, E.U.