x0x TRADITIONAL COMFORT IN CAPPADOCIA

  • TRH
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      A note from your TurkC-L editor:

      Happy 2002 TurkC-L readers! Please visit our pages at
      http://come.to/sunholiday for more on Cappadocia. Almost all of the links
      at the top will lead you to experiences of people who visited the region.

      If you have any feedback about the http://come.to/sunholiday site, please
      drop us a line at turkradio@...

      x0x TRADITIONAL COMFORT IN CAPPADOCIA

      From San Francisco Chronicle, Dec 30, 2001

      My husband and I found Turkey a very travel-friendly country with
      hospitable people -- some invited us into their homes for tea, and many
      speak English. The exchange rate is very favorable, and the archaeological
      sites and natural wonders are breathtaking.

      I was particularly taken by central Turkey's Cappadocia region. Tufa
      "fairy chimneys" dot the mystical landscape where Zoroastrians and early
      Christians settled. Churches and underground cities were carved out of the
      pliant tufa.

      A great home base for exploring Cappadocia is the Walnut House in the town
      of Goreme, run by three brothers. Its traditional arched rooms are made
      from beautiful local materials, and each has its own bathroom. Travelers
      can drink tea and visit in an authentic Turkish corner covered with kilims
      (handwoven rugs). A breakfast of fresh ingredients is served each morning.
      All this for $20 a night for a double room.

      Contact: Walnut House, 50180 Goreme, Cappadocia, Turkey; phone:
      011-90-384- 271-2235; fax: 011-90-384-271-2718; e-mail:
      walnuthouse@...; Web: www.walnuthouse.cjb.net.

      MAGGIE ARBINO