x0x Anatolian Dig Reveals More Ancient Riches

  • TRH
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2001
      x0x Anatolian Dig Reveals More Ancient Riches

      Huge Hittite grain stores found

      In Kirsehir's Cagirkan district, five grain storage facilities from
      the Hittite period were found during excavations.

      Doctor Sachihiro Omura from Tokyo University who is leading the
      excavation in Kalehoyuk said the area is full of artifacts from
      several different tribes that have lived in these areas since 2000
      B.C.

      Omura added that Kalehoyuk is found on the historical trade route
      known as the Silk Road, and during several excavations that have been
      conducted until today, 15,000 antique pieces were found and these were
      given to the Kirsehir Museum for exhibition.

      Omura said: "Anatolia has a rich cultural background. Here you can
      easily find signs of many civilizations. During the excavations that
      we conducted this year in Kalehoyuk, we found five huge grain stores
      from around 1800 B.C. during the Hittite period. We believe that these
      grain storages are the largest ones found until today."

      Omura said that during the excavations they found several bones
      belonging to tigers, lions and other wild animals and one of the bones
      found was proven by scientist to have belonged to a tiger, thus
      proving that Anatolia in the past was surrounded by forests.

      Copyright 2001, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
      permission for personal use of TRKNWS-L readers. No part of this article
      may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
      permission of the publisher. Contact: Turkish Daily News Online on the
      Internet World Wide Web. www.turkishdailynews.com

      For information on other matters please contact tdn-f@...