Announcements/Duyurular -- Sat, 25 Nov 00

  • Turkish Radio San Francisco
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2000
      * Film on Republic Day Celebrations on internet
      * Association for the Study of Nationalities: Call for papers
      * Light Millennium-Isik Binyili Internet Dergisi, Sonbahar 2000
      * Faculty Openings for Computer Engineering at KOC University
      * "Representations of the past" workshop in Istanbul
      * NTV program on Rochester Turkish Student Association

      x0x Announcements/Duyurular -- Sat, 25 Nov 00

      * Film on Republic Day Celebrations on internet

      http://www.intervizyon.com/asx/filmcenter/29ekim.asx

      * Association for the Study of Nationalities: Call for papers

      ASN 6th Annual World Convention
      International Affairs Building,
      Columbia University, NY
      Sponsored by the Harriman Institute and the Watson Institute
      5-7 April 2001

      ***100 panels on the Balkans, Central Europe, Baltics, Russia,
      Ukraine, Caucasus, Central Asia, Turkey, China, Ethnic Violence,
      Conflict Resolution, Nationalism Theory***

      Deadline for proposals:7 December 2000

      The Annual World Convention of the Association for the Study of
      Nationalities (ASN) has become the most attended international
      scholarly gathering dealing with issues of national identity,
      nationalism, ethnic conflict and state-building in Central and
      Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, Central Asia, and adjacent
      areas. The Convention continued its impressive growth in 2000 with a
      record 600+ attendees and 100 panels. More than a hundred
      participants travelled from overseas for the event, particularly, but
      not exclusively, from Western and Eastern Europe. Panelists'
      disciplines included political science, history, anthropology,
      sociology, economics, geography, and sociolinguistics.

      ***The central theme of the 2001 Convention-"NATION-MAKING, PAST AND
      PRESENT: COMMUNITY, ECONOMY, SECURITY"- addresses the interface of
      identity politics with economic issues and security/foreign policy
      concerns, either in the past or in contemporary developments*** The
      ASN World Convention's yearly theme specifically refers to a core
      number of panels. Since the Convention is far larger in scope than a
      thematic conference, we invite, as in previous years, proposals on a
      wide range of topics related to identity, nationalism, conflict and
      nation-building in Central Europe, the Balkans, Russia, Ukraine,
      Baltics, Caucasus, Central Asia, and adjacent areas.

      Proposals can focus on particular cases, theoretical questions, or
      cross-regional comparison. Papers or panels comparing cases of the
      post-Communist world with cases from other regions of the world are
      encouraged. Due to continuing instability in the Caucasus and the
      Balkans, proposals dealing with these areas are particularly
      solicited. Unlike most conventions, ASN accepts individual paper
      proposals, although full panel proposals have a greater chance of
      being accepted, due to space constraints.

      Panel and paper themes in the April 2000 Convention have included:

      Turkey: Nationalism, Securalism, and Identity Crimean Tatars in the
      Russian Empire, Central Asia, and Turkey
      Security, Energy, and Foreign Policy South of Russia Genealogies of
      Nationhood in Soviet and Post-Soviet Central Asia
      The Challenge of Kurdistan
      Central Asia Online
      Preventing Conflict in the Ferghana Valley
      Media and Long Distance Nationaalism in Central Asia
      Mongols, Muslims, and their Neighbors
      The Russian-Chechen War(s)
      Military Tactics and Operational Art of Yeltsin's Second Chechen War
      Azerbaijan and Co-Ethnics Abroad
      Dagestan in Comparative Perspective
      Bosnia after Dayton: Disintegration or Reintegration
      The Kosovo War; Forced Migrations in the Balkans and the Caucasus

      For more information, visit the ASN website at http://asn.uno.edu/.

      * Light Millennium-Isik Binyili Internet Dergisi, Sonbahar 2000

      The Light Millennium(Isik Binyili)
      Internet Magazine
      Fall 2000: English & Turkish

      We are proud to announce the Light Millennium's
      Fall-2000 issue. It has been on the web since October
      27th, despite, the fact that we just have finalized
      it.

      The Light Millennium/Isik Binyili has accomplished
      five innovative issues and the original introductory
      release since August 1999. We will be celebrating our
      "First Annual" with coming of the Winter 2001 issue.

      We have dedicated this issue to FM-2030, an American
      Futurist , who had his body suspended until the year
      2030.

      Welcome to the Light Millennium^Òs Global Platform:
      http://www.lightmillennium.org/index.html

      Here is the content & participants of this issue:
      For English:
      http://www.lightmillennium.org/english_content.html
      For Turkish:
      http://www.lightmillennium.org/turkish/turkishindex.html

      We invite you to be part of the Light Millennium^Òs
      global platform via your comments, suggestions,
      writings, arts, poems, cartoons, etc. For your enties,
      please contact:
      lightmillennium@...

      The Light Millennium has stood on a non-profit
      approach and an alternative vision since its
      Introductory issue.

      Be in peace and light,
      Bircan Unver

      * Faculty Openings for Computer Engineering at KOC University

      Nominations and applications are sought for regular and visiting faculty
      positions in Computer Engineering. All research areas will be considered,
      but particular emphasis will be given to networking and distributed
      computing, real time operating systems, programming languages and software
      engineering, embedded systems and computer architectures. KOC University
      is a private, nonprofit institution located on a new, state-of-the-art
      campus in Rumelifeneri, Istanbul. The University is supported by the Vehbi
      Koc Foundation, and is committed to the pursuit of excellence in both
      teaching and research. The medium of instruction is in English. KOC's
      College of Engineering is brand new with its first freshman class admitted
      in the 2000-2001 academic year. The College will offer undergraduate and
      graduate degrees in Computer Engineering, Electrical and Electronics
      Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. More
      detailed information about the College of Engineering can be found at the
      web site: http://www.ku.edu.tr/main/ce_frame.html.

      We are looking for outstanding individuals who are able to build strong
      teaching and research programs and who can develop into intellectual
      leaders. It is also important that the candidates interact closely with
      colleagues across different disciplines and contribute positively to the
      successful establishment and advancement of the College. We offer a
      competitive salary and benefit package. Applications including curriculum
      vita, a clear statement of teaching and research interests, and the names
      and addresses of at least three references should be mailed to:

      Prof. Yaman Arkun, Dean
      College of Engineering
      KOC University
      Rumelifeneri Yolu, Sariyer
      Istanbul, Turkey

      Applicants are also advised to send their application material by e mail
      to: yarkun@...

      Yaman Arkun
      Dean
      College of Engineering
      KOC University
      Rumelifeneri Yolu, Sariyer
      Istanbul, TURKEY
      Phone: +212 3381313
      Fax: +212 3381548
      Email:yarkun@...
      http://www.ku.edu.tr/main/ce_frame.html

      * "Representations of the past" workshop in Istanbul

      CALL FOR PAPERS

      Texts/Images of History: Representations and Uses of
      the Past in Central and Southeast Europe

      International Workshop
      Sabanci University, Faculty of Arts and Social
      Sciences
      Istanbul, June 2001

      As young researchers working on the issues of the
      political and intellectual history of Central and
      Southeast Europe, we have been repeatedly confronted
      with the scarcity of academic and personal
      communication in the region. Students and scholars
      from different national backgrounds, even those who
      are otherwise working on parallel topics, seldom have
      the opportunity to discuss their work and share their
      research experiences. In order to help overcoming this
      insufficiency, and as a result of the discussions
      originating at the 1999 Balkan Summer University in
      Plovdiv, a research network of young academics and
      doctoral students working on Central and Southeast
      Europe has been established. The first result of this
      cooperation was the workshop Perceptions of
      ^ÓModernities": Emergence of Political Modernity,
      Social Transformation and Ideologies of Modernism in
      Central and Southeast Europe in the XIX-XX Centuries,
      held at the Central European University, in Budapest,
      May 26-28, 2000.
      Encouraged by the success of this first meeting, we
      intend to organise a similar one in 2001 as well,
      under the title: ^ÓTexts/images of History:
      Representations and Uses of the Past in Central and
      Southeast Europe^Ô. This year the workshop will be
      hosted by Sabanci University, Faculty of Arts and
      Social Sciences, in Istanbul. The aim of our workshop
      is to bring together young researchers from various
      national and disciplinary backgrounds to discuss the
      issues of compatibility among national or regional
      historiographical canons and regional patterns,
      problems of methodology of historical writing,
      narrativity, and symbolic representations of identity.
      This conceptual framework is meant to offer the
      analytical tools for reconsideration and re-evaluation
      of certain key tenets of the local cultural canons
      concerning the uniqueness and incomparability of a
      given national culture. By outlining the evolution and
      vicissitudes of regional self-identification and
      rejection, the debate will hopefully help to
      contextualise the topic of regional and national
      identity.
      Furthermore, what is equally important, the workshop
      would enhance an interdisciplinary dialogue on
      contested issues such as the construction of
      identities; applying "Western" methodologies and
      interpretative strategies on "Eastern" realities; or
      the mutation of "Western" political and cultural
      discourses in different cultural contexts. The
      underlying long-term ambition of our undertaking is to
      contribute to the emergence of a non-nationalist
      vision about our common cultural heritage, while
      remaining sensitive to the plurality and specific
      characteristics of the various cultural and political
      identities.
      Last but not least, by organising this workshop, we
      seek to create an opportunity for the participants to
      present their current research papers, to experiment
      with new approaches and methodologies, and also to
      benefit from public debates. Besides sharing our
      research findings with each other, the workshop is
      also meant to consolidate the evolving network of
      cooperation among young scholars from these regions,
      and to involve new colleagues in studying the
      historical and cultural aspects of our common "pasts"
      on a comparative basis.

      The prospective panels are the following:

      I. Historical approaches:

      a, Presentation of the pilot project ^ÓRegional
      identity discourses in Central and Southeast Europe."
      This project is based on the systematic research work
      of young scholars deriving from different national
      backgrounds. It consists of collecting and translating
      a set of constitutive texts of collective identities
      from the region, thus creating an authoritative and
      representative collection of "fundamental texts" that
      had contributed to, and/or reflected upon, the
      formation of various narratives of national and
      regional identity in these countries. We also intend
      to use this forum to trigger similar projects on
      different core topics, extending our network to young
      scholars who will be launching such parallel research
      programs.

      b, The history of images and imaginary histories: the
      problems of the visual documentation of history
      (documentary movies, the use of "found footage," and
      visual identity representation). The aim of this
      session is to generate a debate on the interaction
      between the historical representation and the
      mechanisms of cinematographical image-making,
      basically through the study of documentaries. Probably
      the most intriguing issue is the relationship of the
      scholarly discussion of a given historical event and
      the broader framework of "public memory" and the
      question to what extent these cinematographical
      narratives contribute to the transmission and
      modification of historical knowledge, which are its
      eventual assets and ultimate limitations.

      c, Studying shared pasts. This session addresses the
      methodological issues of comparative history-writing
      in Central and Southeast Europe, especially concerning
      the problems of creating narratives of shared pasts
      which are not based on the usual retrospective
      projection of national past so common in our region.
      We are inviting papers dealing with the patterns of
      history-writing in our region, attempting to interpret
      the roots and structures of the various
      historiographical canons from a comparative
      perspective. We also welcome research papers analysing
      former or current history textbooks from the region,
      especially from the perspective of the various
      mechanisms of "engineering" national identities.

      II. "Cultural studies" approaches:

      a, The times of fiction and the fictions of time:
      cultural representations of the past and theories of
      temporality (literary texts, narratives, ^Óvirtual
      history^Ô). This section focuses on the theoretical
      issues of representing and narrating temporality in
      various cultural fields and contexts. For example, we
      are inviting analyses of the image of the past in
      literature, as well as in the philosophical traditions
      of these cultures. At the same time, the more
      theoretical issues of narrativity, narrative identity
      and the relationship of texts and images, relevant for
      reconsidering and re-thematising the cultural heritage
      of Central and South-East Europe are to be addressed.

      b, Transformation of identities and the multiplicity
      of self-definitions: the cultural anthropology and
      sociology of "temporal representations." This panel
      concentrates on how references to a normative past are
      used to legitimate cultural practices in the framework
      of popular culture in the region, how oral history
      modifies our insight of what happened at a given
      moment, and how communities construct and modify their
      narratives about their past due to changing
      socio-cultural co-ordinates.

      Participants:

      The prospective number of participants is around
      30-35. Senior scholars from the region will be
      invited to moderate the panels and to give keynote
      speeches.

      The timing of the workshop:

      The workshop is planned to take place in early June,
      and its intended duration is four days.

      Application:

      A short abstract (1-2 pages of length) and a CV should
      be sent, not later than by 15 February 2001, to
      Vangelis Kechriotis (vkechr@...). The selection
      of the participants will take place by 5 April. We
      kindly ask the selected participants to submit their
      papers by 25 May 2001, and, consequently, the texts
      will be circulated before the workshop.

      The convenors of the workshop:

      Gunhan Borekci (Sabanci University, History Program,
      Ph.D. candidate) borekcig@...
      Vangelis Kechriotis (University of Athens, History
      Department, Ph.D. candidate) vkechr@...
      Michal Kopeèek (Charles University, Prague Ph.D.
      candidate) kopecek@...
      Boyan Manchev (University of Sofia "St. Kliment
      Ohridski", assistant professor) b_manchev@...
      Balázs Trencsényi (CEU History Department, Ph.D.
      candidate) nphtre14@...
      Marius Turda (CEU History Department, Ph.D. candidate)
      marius.turda@...

      Our project is meant to combine the similar
      research/educational agendas of, and is supported by,
      the following institutions: Sabanci University
      (Istanbul, Turkey), the Central European University
      (Budapest, Hungary), the Center for Democracy and
      Reconciliation in Southeast Europe (Thessaloniki,
      Greece), and the Centre for Advanced Study (Sofia,
      Bulgaria).

      * NTV program on Rochester Turkish Student Association

      NTV TELEVIZYON KANALI, {BUGUN} ,YANI 24 KASIM AKSAMI,
      TURKIYE SAATINE GORE 22.10'DA, ROCHESTER TURK DERNEGI
      ILE ILGILI PUSULA PROGRAMINI TEKRAR GOSTERECEKTIR.
      DUYURULUR................

      AHMET TURGUT

      NOT; PROGRAM ICIN IZLIYECI E-MAIL'LARINIZI ASAGIDAKI
      E-MAIL ADRESLERINE YOLLIYABILIRSINIZ.

      NTV.........{programed@...}
      denizbank........{info@...}