Istanbul Archaeology Museum opens new section

  • TurkC-L
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 1998
      Istanbul Archaeology Museum opens new section

      ERDEM YUCEL

      Istanbul - Turkish Daily News

      The Istanbul Archaeology Museum witnessed a spectacular gala on the
      evening of Aug. 5, 1998. Everything was beautiful for the opening of
      the new museum section presenting Istanbul's historical cultures
      (Thracian-Bythinian) and that of Byzantium itself. As in previous
      years, there were bank-sponsored receptions in the museum garden,
      where people were surrounded by sculptures and other relics from
      antiquity. These events were inscribed as unforgettable in peoples'
      minds. At the opening, attended by members of the art, culture,
      science, business and press circles of Istanbul, Culture Minister
      Istemihan Talay gave a speech after an introduction by the director of
      the museum, Dr. Alpay Pasinli.

      "When I became Minister of Culture, I believed that the contributions
      of our businessmen, in particular, would be very important to the
      protection of our cultural heritage. When Garanti Bankasi applied to
      me, saying that it wanted to start this project, I gladly accepted its
      proposition," said Talay, who then discussed new measures regarding
      museums in Turkey. He announced that the income from the Archeology
      Museum would henceforth be used for other museums as well, that the
      municipalities, which until now had received 40 percent of the
      museums' income, would now receive only five percent and that the
      Ministry of Finance's share would be 10 percent.

      During the cocktail hour, rich buffet dinner and classical music
      concert, organized with the support of Garanti Bankasi, guests were
      able to view the historical artifacts discovered in the regions around
      Istanbul, ranging from archaic times (650-480 B.C.) to the end of the
      Roman Empire.

      Copyright 1997, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
      permission for personal use of TRKNWS-L readers. No part of this article
      may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
      permission of the publisher. Contact: Turkish Daily News Online on the
      Internet World Wide Web.

      For information on other matters please contact hk11 at tdn1.com