x0x Turkish news for week ending 01 Apr. 2000
- Tune to our program live on http://www.kusf.org
x0x Turkish news for week ending 01 Apr. 2000
[Best when viewed with the courier font.]
This spot is reserved for your advertisement.
Contact us for more details at trh@...
A service of the TURKISH RADIO HOUR, producer of:
TURKISH CULTURAL PROGRAM
Saturdays at 5:00 P.M.
KUSF FM 90.3, San Francisco
3rd Saturdays at 6:00 P.M.
KKUP FM 91.5, CUPERTINO
Ahmet Toprak edited today's news.
Today's host on the air is Murat Temeltas.
For a subscription to the Internet edition of this news,
send a blank email to:
Be a volunteer for the Turkish Radio Hour and receive daily
detailed news dispatches from Turkey. Write to
and inquire about the details.
Edited for The Turkish Radio Hour by Arzu Ozkan
* The Turkish government on Wednesday lost a first round vote in parliament on a constitutional amendment to allow President Suleyman Demirel to stand for re-election.
The main provision in the three-item amendment package, which allows presidents to be elected for two five-year terms, won only 253 votes from the 550-member house. It needed 367 votes for endorsement without a public referendum.
Weak support for the government indicated that several deputies from the three ruling parties had voted against the package.
The three party coalition government of Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit will now either withdraw the package or bargain with the opposition before the second and final vote, now scheduled for April 5.
* Daily Hurriyet reports that since Suleyman Demirel may not be able to run for presidency one more term, Turkish parliamentarians have started to discuss new names as candidates for the presidency. Possible candidates from the Democratic Left Party are Ismail Cem, Ertugrul Kumcuoglu and Hikmet Sami Turk; from the Nationalist Action Party, Sabahattin Cakmakoglu, Tunca Toskay and Sadi Somuncuoglu; from the Motherland Party, Yilmaz Karakoyunlu, Yildirim Akbulut and Kamran Inan; from the Virtue Party, Dengir Dir, Mehmet FIrat and Vecdi Gonul and from the True Path Party, Dogan Gures and Kamer Genc are possible presidential candidates.
* Turkey's President Suleyman Demirel traveled to Ashkabad Tuesday to sign a deal on natural gas supplies from Turkmenistan via a future $2 billion pipeline through Turkey. Turkmen President Saparmurad Nyazov welcomed Demirel on arrival.
According to an Anatolian news Agency report, Turkish sources said the accord covered supply of 30 billion cubic metros of natural gas for 30 years from 2002 on, when the pipeline is scheduled to start operating.
The US-backed trans-Caspian pipeline will stretch 2,000-kilometers from Turkmenistan on the eastern side of the Caspian Sea to Turkey via Azerbaijan and Georgia. It represents a significant goal for Washington, undercutting Turkmenistan's dependence on Russia and Iran.
* Anatolian Agency reported that India and Turkey will sign an agreement on agricultural cooperation during Turkish Premier Bulent Ecevit's three-day official visit to India which began on March 31, an Indian External Affairs Ministry spokesman said on Monday.
A Turkish business delegation is also coming with the Turkish premier for the fourth meeting of the Indo-Turkish Joint Business Council, during which the two sides will discuss steps for further enhancing their economic and trade ties, the spokesman added.
The two sides will also sign an agreement on the establishment of a mechanism for political consultations between the foreign ministries of the two countries, he said.
* According to Agence France-Presse, police defused bombs planted at two government buildings in Istanbul on Thursday on the city's European side. Quoting the Anatolia news agency, Agence France-Presse wrote that the first bomb, placed in a bag, was left at the entrance to a government building in the district of Cagaloglu, while the other was placed outside another state building in Besiktas.
Turkish police safely defused the bomb after evacuating some 100 employees.
No one has claimed responsibility and police are still searching for two suspects described by witnesses as being women.
* Fire which broke out in the Mecidiyekoy branch of the Gima supermarket chain in Istanbul, caused many people to panic according to a report by daily Hurriyet.
Some personnel of the Channel D television channel which was also in the same five-story building and customers shopping at Gima had to leave the building because of extensive smoke.
Two people were injured in the fire. 26 people who were affected by the smoke were taken to the nearby hospitals.
Firefighters brought the fire under control before it could spread to upper floors. However, it broke all the windows of Gima and caused the interior of the store to burn completely.
* President Bill Clinton sent a warm message of cooperation to the 19th Annual Conference of the American Turkish Council currently underway in Washington reported Daily Milliyet.
Mr. Clinton congratulated Turks and Americans on friendship between the two countries in the message that was shown on video during the Conference Ball.
Mr. Clinton recalled his visit to Turkey in November, adding, "I was extremely pleased to become acquainted with the beauty of Anatolia and Istanbul and the warmth and hospitality of the Turkish people. I was very impressed by the power and resistance of the ordinary Turks in their struggle to overcome the two tragic earthquake disasters."
Mr. Clinton also mentioned the importance of cooperation between Turkey and the US in the areas of security and the economy and pointed out that they would keep on supporting Turkey so that it can take its place in a democratic Europe as a candidate country to the European Union.
Exchange rate for the U.S. dollars in Turkish liras:
Selling Rate Buying Rate
U.S.Dollar 588,313 591,155
Edited for the Turkish Radio Hour by Mark Nowak
* Turkish premier soccer league:
Week 26 Matches
Gaziantepspor 0-0 Denizlispor
Trabzonspor 1-2 Besiktas
Bursaspor 2-2 Samsunspor
Adanaspor 2-0 Erzurumspor
Istanbulspor 0-0 Vanspor
Galatasaray 0-1 Fenerbahce
Ankaragucu 0-0 Genclerbirligi
Kocaelispor 2-1 Altay
Antalyaspor 1-0 Goztepe
Week 27 Matches
Denizlispor 0-2 Trabzonspor
1 Galatasaray 66
2 Besiktas 58
3 Fenerbahce 46
4 Gaziantepspor 43
5 Trabzonspor 43
6 Samsunspor 40
7 Denizlispor 37
8 Adanaspor 35
9 Genlerbirligi 35
10 Altay 33
11 Antalyaspor 33
12 Bursaspor 30
12 MKE Ankaragucu 29
13 Kocaelispor 29
14 Erzurumspor 28
15 Istanbulspor 26
17 Goztepe 20
18 Vanspor 15
WEATHER IN TURKEY
Ankara (Central Anatolian Region): 20/6 (68/43)Partially cloudy
Istanbul (Marmara Region)--------: 18/10 (64/50)Partially cloudy
Izmir (Aegean Region)------------: 24/10 (75/50)Partially cloudy
Antalya (Mediterranean Region)---: 21/11 (70/52)Sunny
(Bu duyurulari saat 17:30 da ve 18:30'da iki kez yayinlayin.)
(Duyurularda giri$ ucreti soz ediliyorsa, radyoda bunlari atlayin.)
*** FILM: THE BANDIT
The UC Berkeley Turkish Student Association proudly presents
Eskiya (the Bandit), the critically acclaimed movie by Yavuz Turgul.
April 4, 2000, 7pm
Room 2050, the Valley Life Sciences Building (VLSB)
UC Berkeley campus
Admission is $3.
Room 2050 can hold over 400 people, invite your friends!
ESKIYA (THE BANDIT)
Winner, Golden Dolphin, Troia Film Festival
Director: Yavuz Turgul
Cast: Sener Sen, Ugur Yucel, Sermin Sen
121 minutes, 1996
Directions to the is at Valley Life Sciences Building:
*** Turkish American Association of California has partially
underwritten today's program. TAAC is a non-profit
charitable organization established to promote better
understanding between Americans and Turks.
If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
give them a call:
or e-mail them at
*** Please contribute to the TAAC's earthquake relief fund:
- Mail a check to the TAAC at TAAC Earthquake Relief
Fund, POB 404, Monterey CA 93942. Make checks payable to
"TAAC Earthquake Relief Fund".
- http://www.taaca.org also has a form that would
enable you to make a donation on-line with a credit
*** Today's program is partially underwritten by Nilgun Akay of Fidelity
Capital Funding, who can help you secure the best
* Refinance deals,
* Commercial loans
* Cash out
* New home purchase loans.
* Also homes in the East Bay
1-925-314-0211 or http://www.aimnet.com/~trh/nilgun
Bugunki yayinimizin sizlere getirilmesinde Fidelity Capital
Nilgun Akay'in katkilari olmu$tur. Nilgun Hanim sizlere $u konularda
* Yeniden ev borcu alinmasi,
* Ticari borclar
* Evinizin degeri kar$ilgi borc alinmasi
* Yeni eviniz icin borc
* Ayrica Dogu Korfez bolgesinde yeni bir ev bulmanizda.
Daha fazla bilgi icin 1-925-314-0211 telefonu arayabilirsiniz, yada
http://www.aimnet.com/~trh/nilgun bulunumlu sayfaya bakabilirsiniz.
*** The TRH is also sponsored by ChildCare Careers, the leading staffing
agency in the Bay Area serving the employment needs of child care
If you want to work in child care or if you need child care staff,
contact ChildCare Careers at
(408) 866-8550 or
(650) 372-0211 (000129-10-000401)
*** AEGEAN FRIENDS
Arkadas * Filoi
AEGEAN FRIENDS is a social-cultural group of Greeks,
Turks, Cypriots, and other peoples of good will,
coming together to celebrate their rich heritage,
explore common roots, and promote peace in the
Share music, food, and conversation. Dance. Create art.
Discover the generosity of the heart.
Next potluck meeting is on 19 Feb. in Daly City
For more information contact
San Francisco, CA 94114-0022
Our new website is at:
Subscribe to the AegeanFriendship e-mail list!
Send e-mail to:
*** Turkish Folkdancing in Northern California:
*** Arkadash Turkish Folk Dance Ensemble, San Jose
Free classes, all ages are welcome
Call Abdullah Gedik at (408) 374 2616
*** Horon, Monterey
For more information call Yavuz Atila:
Horon is a Turkish American Association of California
*** Art for Peace, Stanford
For more information contact
408-971-1376 Carol Leitner
*** Anadolum Turkish Folk Music Chorus
ANADOLUM Turkish Folk Music Chorus
welcomes new musicians and vocalists to join the chorus.
Practices: Sundays, 1-4pm
CALFED Community Room
1888 Ralston Avenue
Belmont, CA 94002
Info: (415) 646-0946 taac@...
ANADOLUM TFMC was founded in January 1998 and is an affiliate
of the Turkish American Association of California (TAAC).
*** PROGRAMIN SONUNA DOGRU SU ANONSLARI YAP:
*** Tune in to the following broadcasts in the Bay Area:
- Every Saturday at 5 P.M. to the
Turkish Cultural Program on KUSF FM 90.3
- Every third Saturday at 6 P.M.
KKUP FM 91.5 to the Orient Express
- Tune in to KPFA FM 94.1 every Monday at 10 A.M. for
Music from Africa-Asia, hosted by Kutay Kugay.
- Mondays 7:00 - 10:00 P.M. 89.5 FM
International Program KBES
(covers Stanislaus County all the way to Manteca),
hosted by George Geevargis.
*** Yayinlarimiz siz dinleyicilerimizin katkilari ile
surebilecektir. Studyomuza telefon acarak nasil katkida
e-posta adresimiz: trh at aimnet.com
A service of the TURKISH RADIO HOUR
On the airways since 1982
* Turkish Music CDs and Books on Turkish culture!
Visit our Bookstore for books and CDs...